Saleen rims - Matte vs Gloss

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have any pics of the matte saleen rims on their cars?

I cant really see a difference in the photots from AM's website and I am sure it is hard to capture the differences in a photo (almost looks like the matte is glossier then the gloss one). I am trying to decide on which one to go with but cant find any decent pics of the matte black ones.

Per AM's website -
gloss:
s1-gloss.jpg

matte:
s2-matte.jpg

Is it possible that there really isn't much difference on this particular rim??

Rehagenracing50

Reaction score
Its just not too different in the picture, but in life, the matte will appear much differently! Especially with varying degrees of sunlight and light exposure...

erat

forum member
Reaction score
I had mine matted to tie in certain other parts of the car that were also blacked out in the same finish. Otherwise I would have gone gloss. Depends what you tie it in with.

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
Gloss black is too shiny for me. Now matte and satin are a little different. I had a set of O.Z. WRX rims powdercoated in satin black for my 99 2.5 RS and they look amazing! Had just enough sheen to 'em to look nice. The glossy just looks too shiny. I'm also no much for chrome wheels either but that's just my 2 cents.

Here's pics of my Subaru wheels in satin black. Sold it to keep my 06 GT. Wife said i couldn't keep both...damn it. I know it's not a Mustang but the satin black turned out real nice. Although primer or flat black wheels look like crap IMHO.

It's like a "soft gloss"....

BlackOutUT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the Matte, but I'm biased as mine match my stripes.

On second thought, I actually had them gloss black before I had my stripes done. Either looks good.

Last edited:

BlackOutUT

forum member
Reaction score
These might help you out...

1st is glossy

2nd is matte

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 80

JohnnyGMachine

JohnnyGMachine
Reaction score
Just for comparison, there's actually a difference between flat, matte, and satin black. I see people sometimes confusing the three or thinking they are all the same when they are actually different.

Flat = No gloss at all. Like primer for example.(0% gloss)
Matte = Very little gloss.(30% gloss)
Satin = More gloss but less than full glossy.(60% gloss)

Now please don't hold me technically to my percentages exactly, it's just a rough estimate to help describe the finish. When I had my WRX wheels powdercoated they had all three above finishes. I knew I didn't want flat because it looked like someone just primered on a finish. It was a tough call between matte and satin. Ultimately I picked satin because I thought it just looked the best overall.
I'm not particularly a fan of a wheel completely painted glossy black because in my opinion the glossy finish makes the wheel look a little cheap. Again not trying to offend, just my opinion. It's all personal preference but the satin or matte black wheel adds another nice detail to the look of the car versus a gloss.

trbobusa

forum member
Reaction score
i just got the gloss saleens and they look sick! so my almost new fr500's are going up for sale asap!

justinS197

Go low or go home!!!
Reaction score
Gloss black is too shiny for me. Now matte and satin are a little different. I had a set of O.Z. WRX rims powdercoated in satin black for my 99 2.5 RS and they look amazing! Had just enough sheen to 'em to look nice. The glossy just looks too shiny. I'm also no much for chrome wheels either but that's just my 2 cents.

Here's pics of my Subaru wheels in satin black. Sold it to keep my 06 GT. Wife said i couldn't keep both...damn it. I know it's not a Mustang but the satin black turned out real nice. Although primer or flat black wheels look like crap IMHO.

It's like a "soft gloss"....

Off topic but i thought that was a 22b at first! still an awesome wrx!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back