Saleen S/C'd GT - 500 RWHP Daily Driver

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
When this project started 3 years ago, my goal was to achieve a reliable 500 (SAE) RWHP daily driver. The last time the vehicle was custom dyno tuned by Justin at VMP Tuning, I reached 446 RWHP/427 RWTQ, still 56 RWHP short of my goal. Since then I have:
  • Changed the 3.2" (12 psi) pulley to a 3.0" (14 psi) pulley
  • Replaced the 90mm Lightning MAF housing with a BA-2400 MAF housing (my 90mm Lightning MAF was maxed out at 12 psi)
  • Replaced the 39 lb. injectors with Siemen Deka 60 lb. injectors
  • Replaced the GMS coils with MSD coils
I am still not convinced that these changes, even with another custom dyno tune will allow me to reach 500 RWHP.

I know I have a few issues that prevent me from reaching that goal:
  • My vehicle is an automatic not a manual
  • My RWHP is measured in SAE not STD
  • I am currently running FRPP shorty headers with a Magnaflow Catted X-Pipe
  • 4.10 gears
  • Lastly when my vehicle was dyno'd the last time, ambient air temps. were 99+ degrees
I am currently waiting a few more weeks before I return to the dyno so that the ambient air temps cool down to 70 degrees or below. I am also considering replacing the FRPP shorty headers and catted X-Pipe with a set of Kooks or ARH long tube headers and off-road X-Pipe.

You can check my signature for a current list of mods. I should also mention that I do not have belt slip or all the other belt issues normally associated with manual transmission vehicles. Nor am I convinced that an electric water pump reduces parasitic load enough to even be measured at the wheels. I do not have any spark blowout issues. I am not convinced that aftermarket cams are required for a F/I application at only 500 RWHP. I already went the TCI SSF T/C route and at 425 RWHP found the lockup clutch to be slipping. Pulled the TCI converter out and went back to the stock converter.

Please remember this thread is not about track times as my vehicle will never see the track. It's about reaching a goal. As Chevy Killer mentioned in another thread: Start with a goal and stick to the plan.

So for those of you with more knowledge than me, which is probably most of you, what else am I overlooking? Please feel free to make suggestions.

M

Mustangretribution

I didnt see mention of a boost a pump, or dual pump set up, according to what I read 3inch pully is 11 psi. Also what CAI you running, if any? what about an intercooler?

I would think that your car should already be at your goal, cant think of what your missing

if your not worried about track times, how bout some 3.90 gears, or 3.73.

one piece driveshaft, I think thats good for 8-10 hp maybe more with FI

Last edited by a moderator:

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I didn't see mention of a boost a pump, or dual pump set up, according to what I read 3inch pully is 11 psi. Also what CAI you running, if any? what about an intercooler?

I would think that your car should already be at your goal, cant think of what your missing

if your not worried about track times, how bout some 3.90 gears, or 3.73.

one piece driveshaft, I think thats good for 8-10 hp

No a 3.0" pulley is 13.5 psi.

C&L "Racer" intake tube w/JDM CAI - see my signature

All Saleen S/Cs are intercooled

One piece drive shafts with automatic transmissions. I have heard some success stories. But for every success story I have heard one with vibration problems. I don't think all the kinks have been worked out yet with vehicles with automatic transmissions. This would definitely be an issue with a daily driver.

Last edited:
M

Mustangretribution

No a 3.0" pulley is 13.5 psi.

My signature mentions (abbreviated) JDM GT500 fuel pumps & throttle body.

One piece drive shafts with automatic transmissions. I have heard some success stories. But for every success story I have heard one with vibration problems. I don't think all the kinks have been worked out yet with vehicles with automatic transmissions. This would definitely be an issue with a daily driver.

ah I missed that in your sig, I would highly recomend spydershaft, I havent heard anyone with an auto have any issues with their product, at least none that could be attributed to the d/s.

Good luck with your goal, Im heading a little north of 500 soon myself

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Honestly man, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to reach 500 to the wheels with that setup. Only thing I would suggest is possibly try somewhere else for tuning. Don't get me wrong, I have never delt with VMP and I certainly am not knocking them in any way. But with all the stuff you have listed if your current tuner can't get it there, why not give someone else a shot.

I have said it many times, I am making a little over 500 to the wheels SAE on a stock block, only 10psi, pump gas, 16 degrees of timing, and with 4.10 gears.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Honestly man, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to reach 500 to the wheels with that setup. Only thing I would suggest is possibly try somewhere else for tuning. Don't get me wrong, I have never delt with VMP and I certainly am not knocking them in any way. But with all the stuff you have listed if your current tuner can't get it there, why not give someone else a shot.

I have said it many times, I am making a little over 500 to the wheels SAE on a stock block, only 10psi, pump gas, 16 degrees of timing, and with 4.10 gears.
Justin is one of the best tuners in our area. Not ready to change tuners yet just because I can't reach my preconceived goal. I am confident in his tuning abilities.

That being said Scott Beer is no longer with DRI and is now affiliated with Zamboni Speed & Custom in Tampa and performs custom dyno tunes at Mike Zamboni's facility on their new Dynojet. Only about 30 minutes away. That would be another alternative.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A set of CNC heads and some Comp cams will get you there if simple tuning doesn't. Todd, I know you know that you are on the edge and need to be ready to put another motor in it if the unthinkable happens! As a side note my Spidershaft is absolutely vibration free to 130+ mph. Actually it's much smoother than my stocker was.

BACNBLAK

Old and Wise(guy)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My last pull with a Saleen was 536rwhp @ 15psi. I had on a 10% overdrive crank pulley along with a 2.95" blower pulley plus longtubes. Couldn't get anymore boost out of the Saleen at that point, that's why I switched to a KB 2.6H.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
go with the ARH HEadersand you will see some awesome gains

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
A set of CNC heads and some Comp cams will get you there if simple tuning doesn't. Todd, I know you know that you are on the edge and need to be ready to put another motor in it if the unthinkable happens! As a side note my Spidershaft is absolutely vibration free to 130+ mph. Actually it's much smoother than my stocker was.

Yes I know............

tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
maybe the gears may rob you of some horses?

It's not the gears, it is the automatic. You can lose 20% HP in the drivetrain with a slushbox as we used to call them. But don't take me wrong, I like my slushbox!

For example, with the same person tuning our cars at HPP, Doc (Hawgman) made over 400RWHP (I think it was 417) with his manual transmission and a 4lb stock pulley while I made 376RWHP with the slushbox and the same 4lb pulley. Both of us have the Saleen unit on our cars.

So, if you assume Doc's drivetrain drops out 15% then he made 490HP at the crank. Now take that 490 crank HP and multiply it by 0.80 (take out the 20% from the automatic) you get 392RWHP which is close to 376RWHP. This assumes all things are equal when they might not have been (air cleaners, air temp/density, tunes, phase of the moon, etc.) But, I think you see my point in how much more the automatic pulls down your RWHP.

Also, as Doc mentioned, try another tuner just for shits and giggles and see what happens.

I think you're going to have to make at least 625HP at the crank to see 500 at the wheels.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited:

Impact 5.0

Don't hate..Appreciate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't you make up some of those numbers from the Auto if you run a aftermarket TQ converter and solid drive shaft?

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Justin is one of the best tuners in our area. Not ready to change tuners yet just because I can't reach my preconceived goal. I am confident in his tuning abilities.

That being said Scott Beer is no longer with DRI and is now affiliated with Zamboni Speed & Custom in Tampa and performs custom dyno tunes at Mike Zamboni's facility on their new Dynojet. Only about 30 minutes away. That would be another alternative.
What you need is a New Jersey vacation.

UrS4

forum member
Reaction score
I'm no expert but I would try LTs and an O/R X like you mentioned. If those two mods can yield 25whp on a NA then you should get more than that on a boosted car.

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Shoot Todd, I didn't realize you don't have LT headers. Shame on you! Heck the headers alone will get you 20-30 rwhp increase. When I installed my Kooks and the torque converter my 1/4 mile ET went from 12.11 to 11.70. I guarantee the headers helped considerably. A hot rod just ain't a hot rod without headers sir! lol

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Shoot Todd, I didn't realize you don't have LT headers. Shame on you! Heck the headers alone will get you 20-30 rwhp increase. When I installed my Kooks and the torque converter my 1/4 mile ET went from 12.11 to 11.70. I guarantee the headers helped considerably. A hot rod just ain't a hot rod without headers sir! lol

I agree. However, when I installed my shortys 2.5 years ago, that's all that was available at that time. I am taking a hard look at the Kooks (JDM) and the American Racing (Lethal Peformance). Both are comparably priced with an off road X-Pipe.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree. However, when I installed my shortys 2.5 years ago, that's all that was available at that time. I am taking a hard look at the Kooks (JDM) and the American Racing (Lethal Peformance). Both are comparably priced with an off road X-Pipe.

You can pick up some Stainless Works LT's w/ X-Pipe through ls1speed.com for $980 or so. Pretty good deal IMO.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back