Scosche dash kit vs metra lcd kit vs metra non-lcd kit

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just picked up my 2013 and it has the basic sync stereo, which is fairly awful. I think my first mod to the car is going to be the stereo. I'm fairly dead set on getting a Parrot Asteroid for the head unit, now the question comes in form of the dash kit.

I saw the maestro kit, but the lack of buttons to control the climate is kind of dishartening - by going with a non kenwood deck I know I'd be missing something, rear defrost, or ability to go between max ac and normal, or something along those lines, seeing how limited the hard buttons are.

So that takes me to the other kits out there:

The scosche ( http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FD1441B-Mustang-Double-Pocket/dp/B00664KRCU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2 ) looks like it does a nice job of blending buttons and touchscreen, but puts the stereo the lowest. I would love it if it was backwards, the hvac controls down low and the stereo higher, but no such luck.

Then there are the 2 metra kits, there's one with an all touchscreen interface, and one with buttons for the climate control, and what looks like a replacement but yet similar LCD ( http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5823CH ) and hard buttons, and one with only a touch screen ( http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5826CH++++++ )

So the question is, who installed what and how do you like it? Pics? Issues? Is the plastic color a perfect fit to the oem interior?

I think the shifter is short enough on the 2013 that it won't be a problem to have the stereo that low, but still interested in hearing the different opinions.

As long as I can run Torque on the thing, I'll be very happy :D

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
as much money your sinking in to get the aftermarket stereo, I would just invest in a droid tablet and mount.....ALOT cheaper.

There was a guy on here that bought the Parrot HU and ended up returning it, as I believe he didnt like the functionality or something with it.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
I've looked at that option; honestly there seem to be a host of issues to go through with mounting one permanently; chief among which I think is getting to the power button if things were to go wrong (need a reboot, run out of battery, etc). Then the sound quality over bluetooth or headphone jack isn't the greatest, and going over hdmi adds a few more gadgets. And it wouldn't be reversible unless you get a whole nother front panel :(

Honestly, after looking to it some more, it looks like another option is the pioneer appradio 2 deck, with running ar liberator on the phone.

But that still entitles getting a dash kit :)

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
appradio is nice, but play around with one in person. My wife had the first version and after 3 weeks, hated it.

The biggest part of the tablet is mounting it. There is a guy on The Mustang Source that has written code for the droid that can control the AC unit and such.

Bluetooth audio is great, as long as the recording is great. You rip or download crap, it will sound like crap.

My BT through my SYNC sounds way better than my SIRIUS does.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
The reason why these aftermarket dash kits set the radio in the lower section is because of the all the looms and other crap in the dash. A radio simply won't fit up there unless all that stuff was relocated.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I have the ADS Maestro dash kit, with the Maestro RR module and a Kenwood DNX890HD, its an amazing setup! so many cool features and it retains Sync for those that like it, all the Sync voice features work just as they did when I bought the car. the integration is just so seamless, I cant believe how well ADS idatalink pulled this setup off

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
I have the ADS Maestro dash kit, with the Maestro RR module and a Kenwood DNX890HD, its an amazing setup! so many cool features and it retains Sync for those that like it, all the Sync voice features work just as they did when I bought the car. the integration is just so seamless, I cant believe how well ADS idatalink pulled this setup off

How do you like the Kenwood? The reviews of it on Amazon are mixed. It has a average of 3 Stars.

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score
Have you thought about the Maestro ADS with the Kenwood DNN99HD?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...meastro-dash-kit-2013-test-fit-installed.html

I've looked at it, but no Torque app (yes, I know it has some modified version, but I'm willing to bet that won't have any upgrades in a year+ like torque does), little customization (compared to android), and a huge price tag. For the 1400 dollar admission price I could have a different 7" tablet for each day of the week. :crazy:

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
How do you like the Kenwood? The reviews of it on Amazon are mixed. It has a average of 3 Stars.

I've got the same headunit. Its think its a really nice headunit. Touch screen is very responsive and their is barely any lag with it.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
I love it! couldnt be happier, lol Im on a Kenwood forum and there are tons of comlaints........none of which Ive come close to experiencing, everyone seems to think the grass is greener on the Pioneer side of the fence, well it isnt, I had a Pioneer Avic x930bt, my god it was rubbish compared to the Kenwood

riored4v

Just Brew It
Reaction score
I love it! couldnt be happier, lol Im on a Kenwood forum and there are tons of comlaints........none of which Ive come close to experiencing, everyone seems to think the grass is greener on the Pioneer side of the fence, well it isnt, I had a Pioneer Avic x930bt, my god it was rubbish compared to the Kenwood

funny.. same thing here. I used to have a X7xxBT (can't recall exact model), and this Kenwood makes that one look horrible.

jasonc32amg

Reaction score
I went with the Metra 995823ch and I'm really happy with it. I'm using a pioneer 8400. The speakers are alpine type r 6x8s front and back off an hd600/4 and a 12w6v2 in a seamed box off an hd750/1. The trunk and rear deck are dynamatted.
e4u2uqu2.jpg
e3y2a8es.jpg
y4ygabu3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back