Several longtube header questions

oooo2stang

Reaction score
I did mine in a gravel driveway on a set of ramps and Jack stands. Prior to that, the most extensive work I did was a short throw and replacing the rear brake calipers. It wasn't fun, but it worked. If you have another vehicle to fall back on for a day or two in case you run into a snag, it's a great way to learn your way around the car. There's tons of threads and walk-throughs on the subject

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
For what little $ that new gaskets cost, I would not re-use the old ones. New FRPP gaskets from AM are still pretty cheap. For the hrs on end that it takes to install LT's, you will be just pissed if the old gaskets leak anywhere. Stainless doesn't rust. Ceramic coated SS for the LT's is the real ticket. Plane SS for the h/x midsection.

Last edited:

allworknoplay

New to the streets
Reaction score
I would push more towards a tune and other minor bolt ons, I have gone against cars with the "bigger" bolt ons like cams and lt headers and I keep up. I plan on slapping on my SC this winter to make sure to beat them than just keep up ;) you dont need alot of power to have fun in a DD

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was quoted $650 for headers installation so you are right in the ball park for what that costs. If you can get them done for $300 jump on that. I installed my own over three days and it cost me $200 in tools I didn't have but needed for the installation.

I drove my car after the header install for two months without a tune and my car wasn't even throwing any codes (go figure), so a tune isn't needed but without one you will not get every last HP the car has to offer. It'll still sound good though. If you want a tune then be prepared to spend another $400 to get a hand held tuner unless you buy one used. I got my tuner and tune from Brenspeed and was very happy with thier tune and thier service.

I highly suggest the hotrod cams which is why I waited two months for my tune. I wanted to tune for the cams and headers all at once. All I can say is WOW. The difference in sound and power with just headers, cams and a 93 octane tune was night and day on all fronts!

As far as muffler goes, I think as long as you get anything that looks like traditional chambered mufflers you will be ok. I have Magnaflow mufflers and they tame the car down quite a bit. Too quiet for my taste which is why I sometimes pull my rear 02 plugs to make my car louder. I suppose I should just get cutouts LOL.

Good luck. BTW I installed the cams myself as well. If you decide to tackle either project yourself then I would be happy to help anyway I can. I can offer phone support, loaner tools, ect.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to do them myself. I've done all the basic work by myself before but all I have is a gravel driveway so I can't really lift any of my cars safely and I've never installed or helped any friends install headers on a car before. But I live in Mayfield just south of Paducah

If someone will let you use their space you could do the install. One of the things people try to do is work around the things that should come off. What happens is you (me) spend a few hours trying to get around something and end up having to take it off anyway. Taking the said parts off only takes a few minutes but for some reason I (we) fight doing it.

It mostly involves taking parts off and putting them back on. What makes it more difficult is supporting the motor while taking the motor mounts off, taking the motor mount supports off, and disconnecting the steering coupler because it won't drop out of the way unless you loosen the steering rack. Knowing all of these things ahead of time saves time and frustration. A 13mm ratcheting wrench helps too. It's still a pia but it goes a whole lot easier when you take the parts off before beating yourself up trying to work around them.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
If someone will let you use their space you could do the install. One of the things people try to do is work around the things that should come off. What happens is you (me) spend a few hours trying to get around something and end up having to take it off anyway. Taking the said parts off only takes a few minutes but for some reason I (we) fight doing it.

It mostly involves taking parts off and putting them back on. What makes it more difficult is supporting the motor while taking the motor mounts off, taking the motor mount supports off, and disconnecting the steering coupler because it won't drop out of the way unless you loosen the steering rack. Knowing all of these things ahead of time saves time and frustration. A 13mm ratcheting wrench helps too. It's still a pia but it goes a whole lot easier when you take the parts off before beating yourself up trying to work around them.

If you plan on doing a LT install, replacing the oem eng mounts with something better (stiffer) could be done at the same time. Most aftermarket eng mounts, like steeda etc, will allow for a stock eng height, or a 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4" eng drop. I used the steeda eng mounts, and dropped the eng 1/4". Then you achieve a lower cg, and stb clears the cai, instead of just touching it. No increase in nvh with the stiffer eng mounts.

Depending on brand of LT's, you can only go so low, till one of the primary's on driver's side (usually #8) will touch the steering shaft. The stiffer eng mounts work good...unless you have a shaker hood, cuz it sure won't shake side to side. lol.

Last edited:

darrens07gt

forum member
Reaction score
You're kidding, right? That's gotta sound like a tractor or something, no?

I live in the middle of farm country and it doesn't sound like a tractor to me, LOL. It's louder but not cutout loud because not all the exhaust is bypassing the mufflers. And having an H pipe instead of an X-pipe has kept the rasp at bay. It sounds pretty decent. I can definately hear my cams better when I take them out.

It's the poor mans cutouts I suppose. But most of the time I keep them in and deal with the quiet of my setup. At some point I'll either get cutouts or swap out my mufflers for something more aggressive.

I was at the grocery store the other day and as I was walking into the store right as a guy was getting into his coyote 5.0 Mustang and firing it up. I swear the car was twice as loud as mine. The moment I heard that I turned around to look. So did at least three other people near me that were either going in or out of the store.

That doesn't happen to me now. No one turns and looks when I fire up my 4.6 even though I have LT's, ORH & hotrod cams. They used to when I had a cammed LS1 Trans Am. I turned a LOT of heads and set off a lot of car alarms with that car when I fired it up (true duals & large cam = loud LOL).

oooo2stang

Reaction score
I 2nd replacing the motor mounts while you're doing the headers, if you plan on doing them. It was a huge pain in the ass installing my prothane's after my LT's were already in.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
I've had my s197 for six years. I have put on pretty much every bolt on possible. Its definitely alot more fun to drive now. That being said, I wish I would have just saved up and bought a supercharger or turbo setup. I could have easily bought one with the money I've dumped into my car over the years. I feel like my long tubes made a decent power gain. I just couldn't tell you it was worth the eight hours and bloody knuckles it took to install them. I have pypes LT's and they had a great fit. If you want the best bang for your buck, go with a DOB setup or maybe look around on the classifieds for a used setup. I've seen plenty of great deals I wish I could have jumped on.

duststang

forum member
Reaction score
If it is totally stock I recommend spending the money on a number of other options. if you don't want forced induction then get a CAI with a good tune and if you are looking for nice sound get some MAC axle mufflers with an X pipe. you will notice a big difference.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back