Side marker lights are out

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
OK, I have been searching but I can't find an answer to this at least that I can see pertains to my issue. I noticed the front driver side marker light was not working so I put it up on the ramps and found that the pig tail was damaged. I left it on the ramps for a month while i was out of town and when I got back my nGauge had drained the battery. (another issue I won't get into now) I could not find a part number for the pig tail so I went to a U-Pull-It and got one off a ford car that looked like my pig tail on my mustang. It even had the bulb socket separate like mine. I wired it up (2 wires) and it worked. Got out from under the car and all of the marker lights were off. Just so happens that the battery wouldn't start the car so I jumped it off with my wife's van. After all that none of the marker lights work and the drivers side window will bump down when I open the door but will not bump back up when I close it. The passenger side works fine. Are the two related in the SJB or separate issues? I am only home 1 weekend a month and usually have family commitments to take care of so not a lot of time to diagnose the problem. Where should I start?

travelers

Reaction score
I would charge up the batt first and get a batt tender to keep on it when your not there. I would also disconnect the batt to reset the system.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks, I should have added that I removed the pig tail that I had installed and charged the battery. Before I left for work again I bought a battery tender and took the cables off so there was no power going to the car for 3 weeks. The battery was fully charged when I got back and I hooked up the cables and it started up just like a new one but the side marker lights front and back will not work and the window is still doing the down but not up thing.
If I disconnect the nGauge the battery stays good while i'm away but if I forget it drains the battery. I don't understand why because it the display turns off when I turn off the key.

travelers

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the ngauge. You might try pulling the bulb out of the socket you just installed and see what happens. How many wires go to the socket?

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I have already removed the pig tail that I installed to eliminate any chance of it being the problem.

07 Boss

Reaction score
They are unrelated. The windows have it's own control module.

Roll window all the way down and hold the button down for a couple of seconds after the window bottoms out. Then roll the window up and hold the button for a couple of seconds after it reaches the top. You may have to repeat this twice but it will reset the window module so your windows will work properly.

Lights are controlled by the SJB. If all the wiring is good it may be water intrusion in the SJB. I currently have no horn, headlights and TPMS. I am going to pull it soon and fix or replace it, just not high on my list. Run my headlights off the fog light relay for now.

travelers

Reaction score
They are unrelated. The windows have it's own control module.

Roll window all the way down and hold the button down for a couple of seconds after the window bottoms out. Then roll the window up and hold the button for a couple of seconds after it reaches the top. You may have to repeat this twice but it will reset the window module so your windows will work properly.

I knew there was a reset for the windows but couldn't remember the procedures.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info 07 Boss.
Next time I'm home I will try the window reset. As for as the SJB the car has been sitting in the garage all winter and hasn't been in the rain in a long time. I guess I could remove it and check it out for corrosion.

travelers

Reaction score
When I store my car for the winter I flip a rear seat down and place one of these in the trunk on some cardboard. Keeps the moisture out of the car.

damprid-moisture-absorbers-fg01fs-64_300.jpg

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
When you say the pigtail was "damaged" was it melted from over current or cracked from sun/heat or frayed from age? That should lead you to see if the SJB is screwing things up

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need to play with the power on/off settings on the nGauge. It should not be draining the battery.

I believe I have mine set to come on with an increase in voltage and off with a decrease. This means it only activates if the alternator is running and powers off when the engine stops.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
You need to play with the power on/off settings on the nGauge. It should not be draining the battery.
I believe I have mine set to come on with an increase in voltage and off with a decrease. This means it only activates if the alternator is running and powers off when the engine stops.

Thanks Sky Render, I will look into that when I get home this month.

When you say the pigtail was "damaged" was it melted from over current or cracked from sun/heat or frayed from age? That should lead you to see if the SJB is screwing things up

The pigtail was hit by something I guess. The wires were pulled and damaged but not melted and did not looked as if they had got hot.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
When I store my car for the winter I flip a rear seat down and place one of these in the trunk on some cardboard. Keeps the moisture out of the car.

damprid-moisture-absorbers-fg01fs-64_300.jpg

Thanks Travelers, I hadn't thought about all the moisture in the air from the cold winter in the garage. That will start being one of my winter storage requirements.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When you first start up the gauge, go to the menu and look at the settings. I forget what the exact setting is called, but it's pretty easy to find and self-explanatory.

You might need to try a couple different settings until you find the ones that work best for your car.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
When you first start up the gauge, go to the menu and look at the settings. I forget what the exact setting is called, but it's pretty easy to find and self-explanatory.

You might need to try a couple different settings until you find the ones that work best for your car.

Thanks Sky Render for the tip. It shuts off when I turn off the key but some how when I forget to unplug it the battery goes dead after a month away from home. I don't know if it drains power thru the OBD2 port or it drains it from the SJB where I have the power tapped into.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That might not be your nGauge's fault. My car's battery will be almost dead after only a couple weeks of sitting, too.

Get a Battery Tender.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
I have a battery tender that works great but when I unplug the nGauge it is always charged when I get back after a month without the tender. Not a big deal, just frustrating when I forget to unplug it and forget the tender, then its dead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back