sizing a twin screw

doc stang

forum member
Reaction score
???at what point does a blower become too big for the engine.

i have a built, forged 4.6 in a 2007 gt, stroked to 5.0 liters
so displacement is halfway between stock gt, and gt 500.

Kb sells a 2.6 for the gt, and a 2.8 got the gt 500.
now whipple has a 3.4 and i think a 2.9.

???which to pick?

i was initially planning on twin turbo's but as the time draws nearer, i am becoming more worried about a protracted down-time for installation.

??? is my perception correct that - a twin screw would be a quicker, easier install?

the block is a teksid, the k-member is a bmr tubular, the exhaust is now a 3" granatelli manifold-back catless system. (stock manifolds, still)

suffice it to say that even if the stock twin turbo kit (still as yet to be decided on) went on a stock gt 4.6 perfectly . . .
my set up may be different enough based on the above, to really complicate /prolong things.

any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated

doc

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
a twin screw is definitely a easier install. Theres less modification needed to the car. The KB can be done in one day. Mine took 11 hours with no experience. I'm sure the Whipple can be done in the same time as well.

With the 2.6H KB, it bolts right in. the 2.8H requires fabrication to make it fit, i believe specifically in the inlet tube in the rear of the blower.

The larger Whipple's also require fabrication to fit our cars. See the 3.4 Whipple thread. the entire inlet tube was fabricated by Adam at ST to fit.

Whether or not to pick a turbo over a Twin Screw is completely up to your goals. If your a track star looking to make the most HP and have the best times, go with the turbo. This will also give you the largest WOW factor when the hood is opened, especially if you go Twin Turbo. Let's face it, everyone and their mother has seen a S/C lol.

If you a street car with only some track time, the Twin Screw is a better choice. No lag, Instant boost, and a ton of fun on the street.

Not to say the turbo isn't fun on the street I'm sure it is, but the instant boost of a twin screw is a better street option IMO.

Ken3030

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love my custom ts. I would not change anything. Very streetable and fast at the track.

Back