smart junction box questions

stever

Reaction score
Okay, so I am driving home today from work and all of a sudden all of my gauges/lights/windows/radio etc.. stop working. I did a quick search and I came to conclusion that my SJB went bad. I begin to take the SJB out and as I move the white foam thing covering it, water just pours out. I currently have the SJB out and I am going to see if letting it dry out will do anything. Does anyone have experience with buying a new one? Will I need to bring it to ford to get programmed? Do you guys thing my problem is definitely the SJB? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
You're talking about the one near the passenger kick panel right? I would start by letting it completely dry out before purchasing another one. It's a common problem to have leaks there.

stever

Reaction score
Yes, I am talking about that one. Right before everything went dead, I heard popping noises and other funny noises coming from where the box is located. I just figured it was the speaker, but then everything just shut off. My guess is that the box is fried, but I am gonna leave it inside overnight and see if it works tomorrow.

voodoo

forum member
Reaction score
Your root problem is the quite common right A-pillar area water leak. If your car is out of warranty, Ford is going to want a shitpile of money to fix it. Easy enough to fix it yourself. There are write-ups on here and other forums as well. And if the SJB is fried, yes; it will need to be replaced and programmed at a dealer.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Okay, so I am driving home today from work and all of a sudden all of my gauges/lights/windows/radio etc.. stop working. I did a quick search and I came to conclusion that my SJB went bad. I begin to take the SJB out and as I move the white foam thing covering it, water just pours out. I currently have the SJB out and I am going to see if letting it dry out will do anything. Does anyone have experience with buying a new one? Will I need to bring it to ford to get programmed? Do you guys thing my problem is definitely the SJB? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Your car is a 2007 or older? Those are the ones with the water leak.

stever

Reaction score
Also, one more question. Is the electric fan controlled by the SJB. I just want to make sure I didnt overheat the car when I drove home. The temp gauge read normal the whole way. Only two gauges worked, the temp and battery gauge.

voodoo

forum member
Reaction score
What exactly did you do to fix it?

Put a hose on the roof of the car and let the water run down onto the cowl panel. You're going to have to get on your back with a flashlight and verify the leak is coming from the body seam in the A-pillar area, as it more than likely is. Let the area dry and then apply silicone to the seam. The silicone can be black, copper, clear, whatever. Just don't be skimpy with it. In a worst-case scenario, you may need to pull the fender off of the car and seal it from the outside.

mcstang

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a leak caused by the area behind the dash which you need to clean out every so often?
Or is it another region prone to flooding?

Cheers

stever

Reaction score
Is this a leak caused by the area behind the dash which you need to clean out every so often?
Or is it another region prone to flooding?

Cheers

in the firewall where the cabin filter is, there are two robber grommets that you need to clean out. I determined that my leak was caused by the 10 robber grommets that are right below the windshield.. All the rubber seals were disintegrated and fell off when I touched them. I sealed them up with some silicone..

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
in the firewall where the cabin filter is, there are two robber grommets that you need to clean out. I determined that my leak was caused by the 10 robber grommets that are right below the windshield.. All the rubber seals were disintegrated and fell off when I touched them. I sealed them up with some silicone..

Both very common issues!

07stage1

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 is having headlight issues turn on the low beams and they both go out after about 15 seconds, when the high beams are on they work fine. Also power driver seat isn't working. Is it possible both issues are due to sjb getting wet. I've looked at the sjb and I do see some corrosion around the bottom row of fuses, is it possible to pull the box and clean it with electrical cleaner?
If I remove the sjb will it need to be reprogrammed or will it hold the info when unplugged?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back