Smoke on start up?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Well I noticed for the first time this weeks.d that when the car has been sitting for a few hours then go to start it up there is a little puff of bluish smoke on start up then after the initial puff nothing. I'm just curious could it be a PVC valve or am I looking at other possible issues.

Mike

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
how many miles on the car? mod motors aren't known for smoke on startup, they usually wait to start smoking until they've been idling for a bit.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I've got 44k on it. I just noticed it like I said and it only does it one in a while.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
That's also what I was thinking but I am pretty sure it started after I switched to amsoil 5-20 so next oil change I'm going back to Valvoline synthetic.

Back@itagain

forum member
Reaction score
A lot of the 3 valves will give a blue puff if you start the motor just to move the car or whatever and then shut it down before it comes up to operating temps. My Expedition was notorious for this. If it isnt doing it every morning after sitting over night I probably wouldnt worry to much about it. You could always remove the intake manifold to take a look at the backs of the valves if you are that concerned about it.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Good idea. I just noticed it the other day so now every time I start it I jump out to look. Lol

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Mine has done it from time to time. It mainly happens after it sat for a while or when my mom would start it, move it, and shut it down within 30 seconds of starting. When I did my cams last summer I replaced my valve seals and it still did it occasionally. I wouldn't worry about it!

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
mod motors aren't known for smoke on startup, they usually wait to start smoking until they've been idling for a bit.

To the contrary... Mod motore ARE known to smoke on startup. They're PCV systems suck balls. Smoke once running is never good. That's rings or valve seal problems.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
c162.jpg

+

sawdust%201.jpg

= no more smoke!!!!!:la::makeadeal:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
I don't have a supercharger plus I already have a separator on my car.

I noticed yesterday that I down shifted to pass someone and it tossed out a little cloud. I'm starting to worry a little bit now. It only has done it twice but I don't know. I might try a new pcv valve just cause they are cheap.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I don't have a supercharger plus I already have a separator on my car.

I noticed yesterday that I down shifted to pass someone and it tossed out a little cloud. I'm starting to worry a little bit now. It only has done it twice but I don't know. I might try a new pcv valve just cause they are cheap.

Sounds more like a ring or ring land issue to me. I've experienced that many times.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Have someone follow you while you romp on the gas pedal. See if it smokes under load, then see if it smokes under decel in gear. That will tell you a lot...

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Wouldn't it do it all the time though?

Good idea.
Yes most of the time. I only noticed mine a few times, but people following me would tell me about it even when I didn't notice it myself.

Mine was most pronounced on startup, on decel in the upper RPM, and sometimes when idling after a drive (like after coming to a stop after exiting the freeway).

Has your car ever had nitrous?

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
No it hasn't. I was thinking about it though and I switched gas stations about a month ago. Maybe I got some bad gas.

Damn does this suck!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back