Starting out drifting...

Discussion in 'Drift Racing Tech Discussion' started by itsslow06, Oct 11, 2013.

1. itsslow06

itsslow06 forum member

I am jumping into the world of drifting.... i am trying to figure out what kinda clutch would be best for a person just starting out.... im not gonna say im the worst, but im def not gonna say im the greatest... i just dont want to be stranded at the track because of a stock clutch taking a crap... also wanna know what kinda axles, and drive shaft are good and what gear ratio you would recommend for a 225/60r16 tire... any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks

So here is a list if ya quote it...

Clutch:

Driveshaft:

Axles:

Gear Ratio:

Hydro Ebrake setup:

Here are a few pics of an event I went to this past Sunday!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from the mustang!!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013
  2. dcjones

dcjones forum member

Stop now before you go into debt that you'll never recover from and everything else in your life suffers as a result. ...for real.

...but if you insist:

Clutch: I'm running a Spec Stage 3. This is going to be too aggressive if you drive your car on the street. I also replace my clutch every year along with the flywheel. I would recommend something a little bit stronger than stock for you.

Driveshaft: I'm using a DSS 1-Piece. This really didn't make that much of a difference. I would save this for one of your last mods.

Axles: I'm still using stock axles with ARP Studs. I've never had a problem but I do keep spares.

Gear Ratio: I'm running a 4.10. It seems to work better than the other ratios that I have tried which include 3.55, 3.73, and 4.56. If you do a gear change I highly recommend changing your diff. I am using a Torsen T2R and I love it.

Hydro Ebrake setup: ASD makes the best set up for this

3. itsslow06

itsslow06 forum member

Thanks for the reply.... I'm just starting out and really enjoying it so I might as well get the right stuff to make it even more enjoyable.... The stock ds will be fine? And my biggest concern is the clutch and yes I dd my car... I don't really mind the tough clutch.... Just won't have to work that leg out lol

Sent from the mustang!!

4. SYNY5TER

SYNY5TER Junior Member

nice pics! ive been drifting my mustang a couple years now. i was trying to get serious with drifting until i decided to swap my engine which kind of destroyed my seriousness. ive been taught by dai yoshiara last august at a private track even (dont ask how i got it) basically specs on cars are up to ur preference. i started out with a v6 and now i hav a v8 on the car and i love the v8...

Clutch: ur perfectly fine with the stock clutch honestly just use it up until u start slipping

Driveshaft:stock drive shaft is fine. i dont really recommend alluminum driveshaft cuz ive read that some ppl bend the driveshaft which wont be fun to buy another one

Axles: stock axle is fine our 1.5 differential is perfect. master drifting with the stock differential and when u think ur ready go with a 2 way diff.

Gear Ratio: 3.31 stocks are terrible but again try to master it. 3:73 or 4:10 will be perfect for drifting

Hydro Ebrake setup: definitely a must if u hav the money

**Suspension: Adjustable sway bars is a must. Coilovers or strut/shocks upgrade is a must. Lowering Springs is also a must too.

Tires: u dont need great tires just hav decent good gripping front tires. the rear u can hav watever u lik. id recommend having 255 at the rear at least. 225 is too skinny for our cars.

again drifting is all about knowing ur car and a having the right suspension. instead of buying all those other parts hav suspension first. u dont need to hav power in order to drift. u need knowledge and suspension. hav a lot of used tires with u. never buy new tires u will eat ur wallet up fast. and also study drift bible on youtube and watch formula drift.

if u wanna save ur clutches life try not use the technique clutch kick. i dont lik using this cuz i get scared when i engage it. i love using the ebrake to start my drift.

heres a video bak in the days when i first started drifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfAe2nGbAz8

5. itsslow06

itsslow06 forum member

Hey was wondering what y'all are using for an ebrake.... Are you using stock? Stock with the drift button(holds the button in)? Or hydro ebrake and how'd you set that up?

Sent from the mustang!!

6. joeymustang

joeymustang forum member

why recommend a 3 if its not good?!

OP I had 3+ on my DD and it was completely livable and more than able to handle the 400+ ft/lbs that I was putting thorugh it without the chattering and issues of the 3. Highly recommended.

7. LS1EATINPONY

LS1EATINPONY The Banker

And I can agree with this statement cuz this is what I have and I hate it almost every day

8. EGNARO

EGNARO Orange Backwards

subd. i just picked up a mcleod street pro and billet flywheel. once those are installed ill let you know how it is.

9. itsslow06

itsslow06 forum member

Okay cool thanks

Sent from the mustang!!

10. itsslow06

itsslow06 forum member

Quick question, without changing the spindles, how can I get more steering angle?

Sent from the mustang!!

11. 07TGGT

07TGGT @user

Shave the knuckles.
    There is a thread on here about it. I'll try to find it.

12. LS1EATINPONY

LS1EATINPONY The Banker

You can remove your steering rack limiters. Just little plastic pieces that allow the rack to turn more. Most people dont take them out though because it allows the rack to get off track. Modding your knuckles isnt hard but itd be better to let someone who can do it and correct the ackerman as well.

13. 07TGGT

07TGGT @user

There is also aftermarket knuckles that Members are running.

14. itsslow06

itsslow06 forum member

Are the aftermarket ones the asd ones?

Sent from the mustang!!

15. Mike K

Mike K WANNA BE FAST

Yes those are the ones.