Steeda UCA and mount clunk

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Installed Steeda's adjustable upper control arm and mount today along with their spherical diff bushing. Surprisingly, the poly end is WAY more noisy. Not a poly squeaking noise but a metal to metal clunk. It's like the sleeve that the bolt goes through is a larger diameter than the bolt. That's the only thing I can imagine. Going down the road it's fine but pulling into my driveway and even just getting out of the car made it clunk. I can push down on the rear of the car and it clunks. All of the hardware is installed correctly and torqued to spec.

All my searching brings up is aftermarket arm with stock mount clunking. Nothing about an aftermarket mount. I got the mount to avoid having this issue.

Any idears?

07 Boss

Reaction score
I doubt Steeda would configure their set up that way. I mean they make the stepped washers for the OEM mount so I don't think they would make theirs with the same issue. I would look elsewhere.

If it clunks that easily it ought to be pretty easy to track down. Probably take an extra pair of hands or a lift to make it real easy, but there has to be something else that is going on down there.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
I got under there last night and it's definitely coming from that part of the arm. It was very easy to track down where the noise is. What I need to do is contact Steeda and see if they can help.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
This morning before driving the car I tried to replicate the sound by pushing down on the rear. Nothing. Not a peep. After driving it the noise is there. It's not enough to really bother me as long as the longevity isn't compromised. I would just feel better about it if there weren't any play at a all.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I would be worried about it. Dynamic forces are going to be greater than static forces and with the spherical on one end it is going to be subjected to more force. Have you ever seen that video (I thing BMR) of the UCA in action. Pretty scary if there is any play in there IMO.

Last edited:

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
It's the upper control arm. No doubt. Talked to Steeda and they think the bolt wasn't torqued. That's the only explanation they had. I know it was but guess I need to check it again.

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yesterday drove the car for a while and the noise got so bad I thought the control arm was going to fall off the damn car. Pulled it onto ramps and had a look underneath. Nothing visibly out of place and bolts are tight. Had to call it a night as it was late.

This morning had to drive kid to karate and it didn't make peep the whole way. Of course it's only a 5 mile drive so it didn't get as much of a workout as yesterday. Obviously when it gets heated up the noise grows. I have to drive the car. It's my DD and the wife needs hers until Monday. I won't be able to really tear into until Monday.

Steeda has been extremely helpful with me on the phone and through email. They are sending a new sleeve just in case that is the problem. I didn't ask for that. They just did it on there own after I told them what was going on.

I sure as hell hope I can get this setup right without that noise because the car feels awesome with these parts on it. No more vibes on the highway or clunking. Handling has improved noticeably as well. The OE diff bushing was shot and causing all kinds of problems.

travelers

Reaction score
Mine is clunking also after a few miles and I think it's the bushing at the rear not the UCA. I'm also thinking about a 9'' so I might just wait till that goes in.

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yesterday drove the car for a while and the noise got so bad I thought the control arm was going to fall off the damn car. Pulled it onto ramps and had a look underneath. Nothing visibly out of place and bolts are tight. Had to call it a night as it was late.

This morning had to drive kid to karate and it didn't make peep the whole way. Of course it's only a 5 mile drive so it didn't get as much of a workout as yesterday. Obviously when it gets heated up the noise grows. I have to drive the car. It's my DD and the wife needs hers until Monday. I won't be able to really tear into until Monday.

Steeda has been extremely helpful with me on the phone and through email. They are sending a new sleeve just in case that is the problem. I didn't ask for that. They just did it on there own after I told them what was going on.

I sure as hell hope I can get this setup right without that noise because the car feels awesome with these parts on it. No more vibes on the highway or clunking. Handling has improved noticeably as well. The OE diff bushing was shot and causing all kinds of problems.

Keep us updated ... we'll get this figured out.

Best Regards,

TJ

302GT

forum member
Reaction score
Turns out it was the spherical diff bushing. I put the OE mount and control arm in and the noise was still there. After a while it got quiet and now you can barely hear it. It's like it needed to break in. I don't know. It was loud as fuck early on and now it's barely noticeable.

Steeda was very helpful in their response to this and I really appreciate them for that.

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Turns out it was the spherical diff bushing. I put the OE mount and control arm in and the noise was still there. After a while it got quiet and now you can barely hear it. It's like it needed to break in. I don't know. It was loud as fuck early on and now it's barely noticeable.

Steeda was very helpful in their response to this and I really appreciate them for that.

Glad we could help!

Best Regards,

TJ

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back