Steering wheel crooked after a couple suspension mods???

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
Whenever I pull my LCAs to grease the bushings or whatever, I load the rear suspension with screw jacks(aka dead man jack) as it makes it that much easier to get the LCAs back in. The axle won't shift as much when loaded and you can put the LCA back in and thread the bolt by hand without much effort.

Unloaded, the axle can shift to the rear and you might have to use a prybar or just pull on the axle to get the LCA bolt to line up.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Whenever I pull my LCAs to grease the bushings or whatever, I load the rear suspension with screw jacks(aka dead man jack) as it makes it that much easier to get the LCAs back in. The axle won't shift as much when loaded and you can put the LCA back in and thread the bolt by hand without much effort.

Unloaded, the axle can shift to the rear and you might have to use a prybar or just pull on the axle to get the LCA bolt to line up.

+1.

It does make it easier to mount the LCA's in the with a load on the suspension but the LCA bolts are the only required part to tighten with a load on the suspension.

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
This is how I fixed my F to R issue of being out 3/8 of an inch.
With the suspension unloaded, centered the axle with the adjustable BMR panhard bar.
With suspension loaded, removed LCR's and brackets
install both BMR LCR brackets and LCA's and the F to R is within 1mm.

Last edited:

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
This is how I fixed my F to R issue of being out 3/8 of an inch.
With the suspension loaded
Removed both LCA's and brackets, centered the axle with the adjustable BMR panhard bar.
install both BMR LCR brackets and LCA's and the F to R is within 1mm.

How did you center the rear end with the adj. PHB with a load on the vehicle? It is well known that when you center the axle there should be no load on the axle.

-Nick

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Ok, so I got home today, and started adjusting my adj LCA's. My adj PHB hasnt shown up yet, so I will be messing with everything after I get that installed and finishing it all right. By just installing and starting to adjust the LCA's my steering wheel that was off is now close to non-existant. still off a tad but NOWHERE like it was before with the solid LCA's. Like the BMR tech said adjustalbe LCA's WILL cure our front to rear out of whack issue that we are having.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so I got home today, and started adjusting my adj LCA's. My adj PHB hasnt shown up yet, so I will be messing with everything after I get that installed and finishing it all right. By just installing and starting to adjust the LCA's my steering wheel that was off is now close to non-existant. still off a tad but NOWHERE like it was before with the solid LCA's. Like the BMR tech said adjustalbe LCA's WILL cure our front to rear out of whack issue that we are having.

Great news! How did you adjust the LCA's, measurement wise? Which side did you make shorter or longer? In other words, did you make the short side longer or the long side shorter?

-Nick

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Well I bought these double adjustable LCA's http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-proalign-lca-0512.html I dug my stockers out, backed both ends of the adj LCA's out pretty evenly, so they lined up exactly with the stock length. Put them on, they stay installed and you just turn the entire shaft, and it pushes the ends out or turn the opposite way and it pulls them back in. I had to make both sides longer then stock. Our wheel well opening is right at 32" long (from the rear of the rocker panel ground effect to the INSIDE of the black moulding that wraps around the rear bumper), Right now both sides are sitting pretty damn close to a 16" center (right in the middle of my center cap). Then just tighten the red nuts, and thats it. There still needs to a tiny bit of adjustment, but like I said I will do a final adjustment after I get the adj PHB is installed. Double adjustable LCA's are THE way to go, they arent noisy AT ALL (well this set anyways). Both set of solid LCA's were pretty noisy compaired to these. Very happy with them.

Last edited:

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I'm having the same issues after installing UMI relo brackets an non-adjustable lower arms. Are there any significant negative effects of running like this for very long? Tire wear, it anything else? I'll probably get adjustable lowers in a couple months, but if it will hurt anything I'll just swap back to stock for now.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Something isn't seated correctly. You've caused your rear axle to be out of square somehow. Double check your installation by loosening up all the bolts, making sure everything is square and then reseating them.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
Something isn't seated correctly. You've caused your rear axle to be out of square somehow. Double check your installation by loosening up all the bolts, making sure everything is square and then reseating them.

The rest of this thread seems to indicate that some cars are like this with some relo brackets. I'm going to try to loosen the bolts and realign everything to square it up front to back between the d/s and p/s but not sure how close I'll be able to get it. It is fine left to right, pretty even, but the p/s tire is about 3/8" closer to the front of the wheel opening than the d/s tire. I'm just not sure if there is enough play to get it set even, I hope so.

Also, on the d/s bracket, on the upper hole that you are supposed to run a bolt into the damper hole, there is a sizeable gap between the relo bracket and the axle bracket. I tried to used washers to take up the gap, since no spacer came with this used set of brackets, but the bolt supplied wasn't long enough to engage the thread more than about a turn. I guess I just need a 1/2" or so longer bolt? At least I know the thread size and pictch (M12x1.75) from having to chase the threads with a tap due to corrosion buildup.

Thanks for the advice.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
On the driver's side, the spacer is part of (and welded to) the axle. The top bolt goes where the axle weight is located. You can remove and discard the axle weight.

IMG_2464.jpg

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't have the axle weights. My understanding is that only 08-09 had those. Mine was just an empty hole, no spacer welded to the axle. There is about a 1/2" to 5/8" gap.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
I have the UMI brackets also. On my '12, the axle weights were there and when I installed my UMI brakets, I put them back.

Did your kit come with a spacer ring?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If your car is not going down the road straight after installing relocation brackets, either you didn't properly install them or you have bent brackets.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
It's not far off of going straight, just a very slight pull to the right, and you have to hold the steering wheel slightly left to stay straight.

And no, it didn't come with a spacer, I bought the kit used off of here. There doesn't seem to be any obvious damage that I saw as far as the bracket being bent. Everything went together ok and I was able to line up all the holes fine, though I think there may be enough play to where I can brace the axle straight with the bolts loose and then tighten them down.

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone having this issue, with ANY brand brackets - give me a call and I will help you resolve the issue without spending additional money on adjustable LCA / or buying new brackets.

Fortunately, we jump on issues like this and take them very serious.....so I have just about more experience to share, than anyone, when it pertains to achieving a squared axle with aftermarket relocation brackets.

813-986-9302 EXT 103 (just say you have a mustang, and you will get transferred to me directly)

blk12gt

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone having this issue, with ANY brand brackets - give me a call and I will help you resolve the issue without spending additional money on adjustable LCA / or buying new brackets.

Fortunately, we jump on issues like this and take them very serious.....so I have just about more experience to share, than anyone, when it pertains to achieving a squared axle with aftermarket relocation brackets.

813-986-9302 EXT 103 (just say you have a mustang, and you will get transferred to me directly)

Cust service ftw... cant wait to become independently wealthy and order one of everything of yalls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back