Strange Clunk from under the car.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was taking the Kids to the Movies today, there were 4 of us in the mustang totaling about 600 pounds and we hit a dip in the road at about 45 mph and it felt like the car bottomed out on the bump stops, but the sound came from the center console area, I even felt it hit.

could the Spyder DS have hit something? the car is not lowered so is it possable that the DS may have hit and if so could this be a problem?

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was taking the Kids to the Movies today, there were 4 of us in the mustang totaling about 600 pounds and we hit a dip in the road at about 45 mph and it felt like the car bottomed out on the bump stops, but the sound came from the center console area, I even felt it hit.

could the Spyder DS have hit something? the car is not lowered so is it possable that the DS may have hit and if so could this be a problem?

Various things could have happened:
1. pinion snubber hits, vibrates through the metal brace that it mounts to which sits on the trans tunnel along with the console

2. DS hits trans tunnel - look for lines, dents, paint on the DS near the pinion

3. DS hits parking brake hardware - also in trans tunnel - check for lines, dents, paint on the DS further away from the pinion

4. UCA hits body - this should have been prevented by the pinion snubber and the axle tube stops, but it is possible since I have a ding in mine to prove it (though without the aforementioned snubbers and stops - long story).

I'd check the DS for contact marks (see above). If not, don't worry about it... If there are lines, dents, etc... on there, it will depend on the depth and size of the damage...

firestang70

SW Ohio Ninja
Reaction score
I would bet your DS rubbed up in the tunnel. Mine does it on hard launches because I have the stock UCA ( will be upgrading VERY soon). Like said previously inspect your DS, you should see some very fine lines on the DS.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ditto - if you actually bent or 'damaged' the shaft, you wouldn't have to wonder - you'd know it for sure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back