Texans, write your state senators!

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Texas considers highest speed limit in nation

As lead singer of Van Halen, Sammy Hagar once crooned, "I can't drive 55." To show how far things have come, now some Texans aren't happy about only driving 80 miles per hour. The Legislature is considering raising the maximum speed limit to 85 mph, highest in the country.

The Texas House of Representatives has approved a bill that would raise the speed limit to 85 mph on some highways. The bill now goes to the state Senate, the Austin Statesman reports.
I mean, I assume ya'll want 85 MPH speed limits...

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
Hell no. There will be an outrageous number of deaths if this happens. People in Houston already drive 85 in 60 zones. If the limit is raised people will think cruising at 100 is okay. And no one in this damn city knows how to drive. Plus 1/2 the driving population are drunks.

Last edited:

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
im not from texas but i say raise it to 85 in the less populated areas. but no leeway with tickets and double the fine for speeding in an 85 zone.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What I want to see is 55 MPH school zones.

1andonlywhitie

The Australian...
Reaction score
What I want to see is 55 MPH school zones.

Lol, that could ONLY end well.

I think 85 is OK, but as said before, I've seen people doing 85 or more in zones that are posted as 60-70mph. Putting it to 85 will make people do 90-100mph and not even think about it. On rural roads that may be OK but there's too many people that can't drive at 60 without veering into other lanes, seeing that at 85+mph would scare the shit out of me...

Jarrod@latemodelresto

Official Vendor
Reaction score
This will only affect some areas of I-10 and out in west Texas im sure. It probably wont reach Houston or even Dallas for that matter.

05xgt

Reaction score
If they approve 85mph anywhere close to urban areas there won't be anymore injuries......just fatalities. Hell beltway 8 is just about there now with a Posted speed limit of 65. Also truckers BEWARE! 85MPH autos, 70 MPH trucks.......hmmm should get real interesting.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hell no. There will be an outrageous number of deaths if this happens. People in Houston already drive 85 in 60 zones. If the limit is raised people will think cruising at 100 is okay. And no one in this damn city knows how to drive. Plus 1/2 the driving population are drunks.

You must be living in another country with a city named Houston. If there are more than 10 people on the road, no one even does UP TO the speed limit. Now Atlanta...that place is the shit. I wish Houston folks would take lessons from those folks.

Joe Wicked

forum member
Reaction score
From what I heard the areas where it is 80 is what is proposed to raise to 85. I think some areas where it is 75 is proposed to raise to 80, but not all.

bullittrevor

forum member
Reaction score
You must be living in another country with a city named Houston. If there are more than 10 people on the road, no one even does UP TO the speed limit. Now Atlanta...that place is the shit. I wish Houston folks would take lessons from those folks.
I do 75 down I-10 on my way to work from 99 all the way down to bunker hill and I get passed like I'm not moving. I work nights so that probably has something to do with it though.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
Here is what I don't understand about our countries current speed limits. Back in the oil crunch days we had the 55 mph speed limits to conserve energy and to save lives by driving 55 mph. Now in our current time we have everyone preaching energy conservation but yet we have the highest speed limits in the history of our nation. It just doesn't make sense to me at all. If we TRULY want to conserve energy wouldn't our political leaders be lobbying for lower speed limits instead of raising them? Seems pretty fucked up doesn't it?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speed limit, shmeed limit. Fix the fucking congestion around the metro areas and we'd save boatloads of oil. How much gas is wasted just sitting in traffic or at lights for no reason?

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Speed limit, shmeed limit. Fix the fucking congestion around the metro areas and we'd save boatloads of oil. How much gas is wasted just sitting in traffic or at lights for no reason?

^^^ This

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back