the 2013 Track Season in a 2013 Mustang GT

TheViking

Reaction score
So how do they make room for the instructor in the Indy car:)

How did your brakes hold up with the ST43's and cooling ducts?

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
hey Viking, when you have a 1 seat car you get instruction using lead - follow. in this case i was running in red/advanced group and that guy was not in need of any instruction ;-)

we were told to watch out for him and he was really careful all day with no incidents and obeying all the point bys

brakes held up great, i'll post a full write up soon, just waiting for the timing guys to post the results and hte photo guys to post up their pics so i don't have just a wall of text hehe

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I've run some enduros with sports racers, and the biggest problem with mixing sedans and the "little cars" comes down to vision. As in not being able to see them. Other than that, they tend to be wicked fast through the corners, but not so much on the big straights. One of them wound up putting a bike flag on his rollbar... That actually was a huge help!

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
Yup! You can't see the things at all when you're sitting low in your car and they're below your belt line. It makes things very sketchy in the race groups sometimes.

In TT there are all point bys and it is semi safer but just something to look out for.

I drove a renault powered sports racer at VIR this year and with 85hp on tap I was itching to get through the corners while some ferrari or other 400+ hp sedan lumbered through. but on the straights they would basically near as makes no difference teleport away from me heheh

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
Lime Rock Park!
My Memorial day started at around 4am. I had hit the sack early knowing I was in for a long day but I was too excited to sleep. I am pretty certain I lay in bed for the full 8 hours and didn't sleep. I remeber the dogs jumping on me, I remember my girlfriend getting in bed, watching the clock hit 12, 1, 2, and then i was up at 4.

Car was packed from the night before and picked up a friend who races in the spec racer cars and we cross George Washington's bridge and make our way north to LRP.

Pretend this is us driving to the track and not in pit lane
2013-05-27%20-%20IMG_1631.jpg

TL;DR The Results!
http://www.imgracing.com/Results/Detail/Laps.aspx?DriverID=80&RaceID=42

As you can see I got in a good number of laps, all were fairly low traffic. Any of the longer laps are me pitting in to give myself some space and/or cool the tires.

More Details
So I ran the car on 245mm dunlop SP600 :yuck: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+600&partnum=44WR8600 which I did not pay for and therefore didn't really care too much about. They were by far the weakest part of the car this weekend. Quick to overheat if you didn't baby them and drive super clean, and also quick to overheat after a couple of quick laps.

My Raybestos ST43 front pads on the stock rotors and stock calipers with some ducting were solid. In fact it was too much brake for the tires. I had to be really smooth on the brakes to prevent lockup. In the rear I ran some hp plus Hawks just so I would be in the same temp range as the Raybestos.

Here's the video of the fastest lap of the day, please ignore the awful awful quality. I set my phone to use low quality to record this and it was just too darn low:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubjK3jSLf94

There is a pretty cool action bit at the very end of the video that might surprise you :hi:

Car Setup
First session out I was just getting my bearings, setting tire temps and suspension details.

I had the tires at 28psi front and 29psi rear when "cold" which really means "not hot" since they weren't cold at all.

The Koni's I set two turns towards soft starting from full stiff on all four corners.

I started my day with only a bit of 25% fuel load and filled up after the first session using LRP's $6.50 for 93 oct pricing!!! 10 gallons and -$65 later I ran the last 3 sessions on that tank load. Using approx 25% of the tank each session. I forgot to reset the trip computer but I like to check my MPG at least once for all the cars I take on track. Oh well, next time.

Making Friends
There was a really cool looking '12 Boss in white with black stripes at the event so I went over and said my hellos. He was new to the world of road courses but had a buddy there to guide him. We got to talking and I noticed his engine bay included a front strut tower which my engine bay lacks. He was kind enough to allow me to borrow it for one of my sessions. I am not sure if it made a big difference but I did set my fast time with that bar on there... I'm going to chalk it up to the track surface getting stickier though. However I wouldn't say that the front bar is useless when you put big sticky tires on there.

2013-05-27%20-%20IMG_1259.jpg

Almost Murdering a Lotus
Last session of the day there was an Exige who had been trying to break into the 59's all day long. We were on the back straight and I didn't want to slow him down. I kept right and gave him a big early point by, however I let the car wander into the grass on the right hand side. Immediately the car shot me left, into the passing Lotus. Heart in throat I jam on the brakes, the overpowered ones which you have to be careful with and immediately lock up. Thankfully the Lotus has passed cleanly by but now I'm locked up and headed for the left side armco!!! I quickly let off the brakes and straighten up the car. Other drivers later commented on how nice and thick and diagonal (that is a weird work to type, di-a-gon-al) the marks I left were.

Casualties: two front tires, flat spotted enough that the ride home was bumpy. Rears were fine though.

The Skidpad!
Taking a break in the middle of the day they turned the skid pad's sprinklers on for us.

2013-05-27%20-%20IMG_1187.jpg
2013-05-27%20-%20IMG_1178.jpg
2013-05-27%20-%20IMG_1173.jpg
2013-05-27%20-%20IMG_1165.jpg

They didn't make it easy that's for sure. Partly wet and partly dry the best I could get was less than 3/4 of the way around while "drifting" ... I kept gaining and losing traction and it was very hard to hold a full lap.

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
thanks grip, what is that for?

edit > mine are only one way adjustable

Well, you said you began your adjustment at full stiff. I was just suggesting to start at full soft. Really, at this point, since you said you're new, you might just not want to mess with it for now.

Still...I like to share information :) The link applies to single adjustables, as well. Just pay attention to the rebound adjustment portion.

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
New Old Car Time!

This weekend I will be moving away from the Mustang and entering into http://www.projectcrx.com/ which is a 1990 Honda CRX.

car_side_driver_sm.jpg

Blasphemy!

Don't worry I'm not quitting on the Ford, but it does have one thing the Mustang lacks; a rollcage!

This car was built with a few friends over the winter and we're now ready to start putting it through the wringer.

resizedimage750508-summitmain.gif

I've been to Summit before but only once. This is the track where I first learned how to drive on track. At the time it was in my '09 Mazdaspeed3. Want to see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZ-gsSK6yo is the link.

The CRX weighs in quite low:
20130126_185000.jpg

Our main concerns are the open diff will struggle in the tight sections of this course but as the driver I will have to adapt.

Since I'm now caged I also bought a proper car rated helmet and a fire proof suit. More pics and hopefully some racing video to come!

martin_nj

czesc!
Reaction score
Thanks! I was lucky to be part of a team so we all tossed in together to build the car and we plan to race it in the local 12 hr enduro at NJMP next year "Devil in the Dark"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back