tire review help

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced my rears (Nitto NT-555) 285-40-18's on 18x10 rims...... with MPSS 305-35-19 on 19x10 rims.
Sri, not impressed.

Those Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires are a good bang for the buck...albeit they don't list what I would want.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Got the new tires and all were built 4/23 so fresh set.

I will say that BJ’s was $300 less than Tire Kingdom.

Let’s see how how long they last lol

Last edited:

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I’m about to replace the tires on my 07, I have 18 x 10 wheels. I know I’m never going with Nitto NT 555s ever again. The G2’s may be better with wet traction, but the originals sucked. I don’t know why I ever put them back on my car, even in 275 width!
I’m looking on Discount Tire now, but I can also order from Sam’s club. I’ve heard good things about the fire stone Indy Firehawk, or do I just go on up to the Michelin ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had 3 sets of the 555 G2's on my car. This time I went with 305/35/20 in the rear, before it was 295s. Just drive in to work this morning in a really bad storm, raining very heavily, standing water on road. Drove whole way at my normal speed, lots of confidence. I never had the 555's, but the G2's have worked well for me in north central florida rain storms.

They don't make the firehawk in the sizes I need unfortunately, otherwise I would probably go that route.

I don't track the car, it's a weekend fun/fair weather car. Never see's the rain. So longevity and wet weather traction aren't really a concern. It would take me 10 years to put 30k on a set of tires. Although, after this rebuild, I might find myself driving it more. To keep a little of the cost down during this massive overhaul, I think I'm leaning towards the General or the Hankook tires, save a few hundred that I can apply elsewhere on the car. Going to check out more reviews and stuff and hopefully snag a sale. I'm getting close to needing tires as the 3-link is starting to be installed.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I have the 555 on my 05’ GT and never had an issue with them, Rain or shine. It’s just a good overall tire in the oddball size I wanted. 255/50-17.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I have the 555 on my 05’ GT and never had an issue with them, Rain or shine. It’s just a good overall tire in the oddball size I wanted. 255/50-17.

I still have NT-555's in both 275-40-18 and also 285-40-18 (both on 18 x 10 rims). Zero issues with either of em, rain or shine.... but I only have 386 rwhp / 370 rwtq. The 275's are now in storage...and I shifted the 285's from the back....to the front. Now have MPSS in 305-35-19 on the rear..... which, imo, was a wasted effort.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I still have NT-555's in both 275-40-18 and also 285-40-18 (both on 18 x 10 rims). Zero issues with either of em, rain or shine.... but I only have 386 rwhp / 370 rwtq. The 275's are now in storage...and I shifted the 285's from the back....to the front. Now have MPSS in 305-35-19 on the rear..... which, imo, was a wasted effort.

My experience has been entirely different. The day I put the 275s on was a rainy day. The worn out Continental DW 255s that I took off had more wet traction than the brand new 275 NT 555s.
Before that I had them in the stock size, and I turned sideways on the interstate in light rain just from a shift into fourth gear at 85 mph.
I’m stock with the exception of a CAI and 3.73 gears. You could always melt the rear tires from take off anytime you chose. The only suspension thing is I have lowered it 1.5” on FRPP K springs, and did not do a UCA.
Even my daughter’s (ex) boyfriend who had a 500+ RWHP Camaro swore I had something more done to it or that I had 4.10 gears because of how it would spin.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Nitto started making the 555 G2 in 2016, how old are these 555s that you guys are using?

I can stand on it in 2nd from a 20 roll and it hooks and goes. I have no complaints about the 555 G2.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Mine are 255/50-17 Nitto NT555 G2 and been on since 2019. Still have about half tread life on them.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
My experience has been entirely different. The day I put the 275s on was a rainy day. The worn out Continental DW 255s that I took off had more wet traction than the brand new 275 NT 555s.
Before that I had them in the stock size, and I turned sideways on the interstate in light rain just from a shift into fourth gear at 85 mph.
I’m stock with the exception of a CAI and 3.73 gears. You could always melt the rear tires from take off anytime you chose. The only suspension thing is I have lowered it 1.5” on FRPP K springs, and did not do a UCA.
Even my daughter’s (ex) boyfriend who had a 500+ RWHP Camaro swore I had something more done to it or that I had 4.10 gears because of how it would spin.

My 2010 GT is lowered 1.25" on the rear and 1" on the front with Roush springs and shocks. With the rear lowered 1.25", I got wheel hop real bad, since the oem LCA's are no longer parallel to the ground, but higher at axle end....by 1.25". That was a disaster, esp in the wet. Put your foot into it, and you are taking weight off the rear axle. Lost it twice in the wet, just going to the dentist office and back..... and not on any hwy.

So in went the BMR LCA's, adjustable UCA, and BMR LCA relocate brackets. Used the top holes in the relocate brackets... and then the new LCA's were .75" lower at axle end..and I got my traction back. A year later, I dropped down to the middle holes...and now LCA's are 1.75" lower at axle end....and even more traction. The BMR LCA relocate brackets allow for a 2-3-4" drop. 2" - 3" is ample. 4" is too much. Get the LCA's too low at axle end....and the opposite of wheel hop is called...brake hop.

The issue was not the 555's, it's the suspension geometry with lowered rear ends. Before the suspension mods, I had the same traction problems, esp in the wet, with any brand of tire.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
My 2010 GT is lowered 1.25" on the rear and 1" on the front with Roush springs and shocks. With the rear lowered 1.25", I got wheel hop real bad, since the oem LCA's are no longer parallel to the ground, but higher at axle end....by 1.25". That was a disaster, esp in the wet. Put your foot into it, and you are taking weight off the rear axle. Lost it twice in the wet, just going to the dentist office and back..... and not on any hwy.

So in went the BMR LCA's, adjustable UCA, and BMR LCA relocate brackets. Used the top holes in the relocate brackets... and then the new LCA's were .75" lower at axle end..and I got my traction back. A year later, I dropped down to the middle holes...and now LCA's are 1.75" lower at axle end....and even more traction. The BMR LCA relocate brackets allow for a 2-3-4" drop. 2" - 3" is ample. 4" is too much. Get the LCA's too low at axle end....and the opposite of wheel hop is called...brake hop.

The issue was not the 555's, it's the suspension geometry with lowered rear ends. Before the suspension mods, I had the same traction problems, esp in the wet, with any brand of tire.

Yeah, I figured some of it was caused or at least exacerbated by suspension geometry. I do have adjustable LCA‘s, as well as the BMR relocation brackets. They will go on this summer when everything else goes in it.

Billy k

Reaction score
I have had Pirellis on my 07 v6 and they spun all the time and were not even drive-able in the rain , I then went to Micky Thompsons on my 12 GT and they rode terrible and grip was also horrible and a nightmare in the rain . They also were out of round which is why they rode terrible , and I have seen many reviews stating the same point with those tires . I then went to nittos and very impressed with the handling of those tires on dry or wet . When they wore I was looking for something different and seen some good reviews on the General Gmax tires , so I tried them , by far the best tire I ever put on my mustang . I drove the tail of the dragon in Tennessee and they cornered with ease and my last 2 runs were with slight rain which is always a nightmare in a Mustang . They have 20k on them now and still have some more life left . I drive the car hard and like I said these tires have handled the best on my 12 GT .

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
When I get a tire customer here at the dealership, the first thing I ask is "Did you like the ride quality of what you currently have"? To me that is an important question. Funny thing is more women say no than men. You would think it would be reverse since men are generally more in tune with there cars or trucks. Unless someone says I did not like it, I will always price what they have. The old "If it aint broke, don't fix it theory" You are right though. Tires can be very hard to go by someone else's opinion.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
They do wear quickly... Getting my new set installed as I am typing this. Let's see how long these last me...

FYI Car is modified, and I don't drive like a maniac... spirited driving at best. I rotate, balance & align per recommended mileage intervals. Check my air pressure regularly and always do a walk around when refueling.
Part of the issue we deal with here in South Florida would be the roads. They are made of ground corral and concrete. Add in the extreme heat we deal with most of the year and you have tires that wear out.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I drove the tail of the dragon in Tennessee and they cornered with ease and my last 2 runs were with slight rain which is always a nightmare in a Mustang . They have 20k on them now and still have some more life left . I drive the car hard and like I said these tires have handled the best on my 12 GT .

Maybe always a nightmare in your mustang. I daily drive my car, 206k miles, in Florida where it rains A LOT and have just as much confidence in my car in the rain as the dry. Maybe you have another issue with the car causing this?

When I get a tire customer here at the dealership, the first thing I ask is "Did you like the ride quality of what you currently have"? To me that is an important question. Funny thing is more women say no than men. You would think it would be reverse since men are generally more in tune with there cars or trucks. Unless someone says I did not like it, I will always price what they have. The old "If it aint broke, don't fix it theory" You are right though. Tires can be very hard to go by someone else's opinion.

Totally agree with this, that's why I keep going back to the Nitto 555g2 on my 2012 GT, I think I'm on the 3rd or 4th set. Unfortunately, I can't use this logic with the '66. It had some 20 year old Falkens on the front and Nitto NT555R drag radials on the rear.

FWIW, I also don't experience super fast tire wear that JC SSP mentioned. I think I got almost 60k out of my rears last time. And my car is heavily modified, I DON'T rotate tires as I can't (staggered setup), I drive somewhere between spirited and maniac.

I ended up going with the Hankook Ventus v12, I got a deal on the them that I just couldn't pass up. Once I get the new brakes and wheel/tire combo mounted, I'll let you know how they are.

Cali HP Addict

forum member
Reaction score
I just purchased a staggered set of Michelin PS4S in 265 40 r18 front & 285 40 r18 rears. I am replacing Toyo Proxes T1s and I mainly compared the 555g2 vs the PS4S in my decision. No one has mentioned that, in the case of apples-2-apples comparison, the 555g2 in 285 width is a full 5# heavier than the PS4S. That's a lot of unsprung and rotational weight!

Reaction score
Running g2s on the front and MT Street comp on the rear, love them both, never issue with traction at almost 500 rwhp, rain is good if you dont do dumb stuff, but god those g2s on the front are like riding on wooden blocks - by far the roughest tire i rode on, thats the only downside

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back