TSW Poor Quality?

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
I've been having a horrible experience with Discout Tire and TSW. Not sure who is really at fault so I thought maybe some other TSW owners could give me some insight.

The big issue is the quality of the paint/powdercoat on the wheel. I just had Dicount mount tires on brand new from them TSW Valencia wheels. On one rear wheel the paint popped of in a 3/8 diameter area just outside of the center cap bore right on the face of the wheel. The other three have chips down in the bore where the balancer or tire machine was tightened down.

Discount is saying it is a TSW issue and they will contact them for replacement. Waiting on that answer. Regardless, if it is TSW's quality, I sure as he!! don't want replacements of the same poor quality.

Anyone with TSW wheels unhappy with the qulaity or life span of the finish?

Other issue is availability. I wanted 19x9.5 silver wheels on all fours. American Muscle and Discount both say they won't fit the front. So, I ordered two 9.5" wheels for trial fitment on the front. If they fit, great. If not I can get two 8" for the front. THEY FIT w/ slight center cap interferrence that I can resolve. I go back to Dicount to order two more 9.5" wheels. There is only one wheel in the US and zero on the boat headed over. No idea when/if they will make more. I bought two 8" that I didn't really want and the one 9.5" wheel left in the US is gone now.

Soooo. I have a chipped wheel that Discount blames on TSW and TSW has no more wheels in the US to replace it with.

Pretty much done with Discount and TSW unless they really come through for me.

Any feedback on quality or similar experiences with either of these companies would help immensly as I fight this battle over the next few weeks.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like I need to see what TSW's response is and then contact Discount Tire at the regional level if it is not resolved.

I'll be honest, to me it looks like they were very careless mounting them, but I also understand that if the quality is poor you can only be so careful.

I'm mid forties and have been buying wheels for every vehicle I own all of those years. Some high dollar (billet from Boyds, etc...) and some low dollar (stamped steel) and literally every level in between. Can't remember ever buying a painted wheel though. Always billet, machined or chrome.

Discount is only concerned about the wheel that chipped on the face. I'm equally upset about the ones that are chipped in the center cap bore, even though it is covered by the cap. Is this normal for painted wheels? Am I being overly critical on the chips in the bore?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
You could have gotten a bad batch, doesn't seem impossible.
hopefully they will make it right for you!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this bud. TSW has a good reputation for making a quality wheel. Like it has been said, maybe you just got one from a bad batch. It happens.

Hope you get eveything straightened out. Keep us posted.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
It happens and you cant really blame either of them. DTC is the best when it comes to making things right especially. You'll get taken care of.

As far as chipped paint in the bore, it cant easily happen on the balancer, but it can also be avoided if they balance it carefully, it probably happened when taking on/off the wheel from the spindle. If its covered, I wouldnt trip over it, they're only painted on.

Chances are you got a bad batch but they'll take care of you, they always do.

SUPRACOBRA

forum member
Reaction score
You may want to check with some wheel dealers besides Discoutn to see if they may have some in stock. There's a local wheel dealer here in the Atlanta area that keeps TSW wheels in stock.

bigmachano

Weapon IX
Reaction score
I've only had one set of TSW wheels and had the same problem with paint chipping. It was on the edge of the painted spoke on 3 of the wheels. Had nothing to do with mounting or balancing either because the rest of the wheel was brushed aluminum

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
I called every large TSW dealer that I could find through search and a few through their site using local cities. More than a dozen dealers and same answer at all of them. Once TSW is involved they may be able to locate one using their sales history of where they all went.

Discount has been very nice through the whole deal but is still insistent that it was not their fault. Given the damage to the other three wheels and clearcoat gouge in a lug hole of the bad wheel (found at Discount today when reviewing the damaged wheel), I would say something happened during installation. Really doesn't matter who or what happened as long as they cover it. Other than it makes me leary to take anything back to this store, or let them mount the new one when/if they can get one.

Thanks to all that replied. I really just needed to know if the TSW wheels are good quality and what the community thought of them. I figured if I got 50/50 response I would know that they are questionable. It has been unanimous that they are as good of a wheel as my research led me to believe. So I feel much better about my purchase. Thank you for the reassurance.

Mark

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
OK. So while I'm typing someone post that they had a similar problem. :argh:

I guess the only positive is that I change my mind on wheels as often as some guys change power adders around here. If they only last a year I can powdercoat them and cut my losses and replace them.

Should have grabbed the silver Avante Gardes when I first considered them I guess.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
Funny I just had local discount tire mount TSW wheels on my wife's Audi tt vert

Got home in the rain and in the garage my son notices the leading edge on 3 wheels shows a white finish instead of matte black, I'm still waiting to see what DT says
But now I'm thinking they have a quality issue.

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on a response from them.

Funny you are just south of Chicago. I'm 2 hours south just off of I65.

We shall see how well they take care of it.

fivehunsky

forum member
Reaction score
Drifters are very very hard on wheels. With that said I know a few people who ran tsw's and and had issues with paint chipping and falling off way before any of the other "discount" brands like rota, xxr, etc. They don't seem to hold up to abuse very well compared to the other cheap brands either. But, we are also very hard on them. For just driving around on the street I'm sure they are round and metal and will be fine. The finish issue is a thing though. They do chip and flake easily. :(

Also, check nlmotoring.com. They stock ALOT of wheels including tsw's. I have ordered a ton of stuff from them.

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I emailed pics to DT the other day
I live 70 miles away from the store.

I called yesterday and they said they had issues with their e mail.
They said they would call me.
Im waiting.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Funny I just had local discount tire mount TSW wheels on my wife's Audi tt vert

Got home in the rain and in the garage my son notices the leading edge on 3 wheels shows a white finish instead of matte black, I'm still waiting to see what DT says
But now I'm thinking they have a quality issue.

...Or you had knuckle-dragging morons mount tires on your nice, brand-new wheels and they fucked them up.

Drifters are very very hard on wheels. With that said I know a few people who ran tsw's and and had issues with paint chipping and falling off way before any of the other "discount" brands like rota, xxr, etc. They don't seem to hold up to abuse very well compared to the other cheap brands either. But, we are also very hard on them. For just driving around on the street I'm sure they are round and metal and will be fine. The finish issue is a thing though. They do chip and flake easily. :(

Also, check nlmotoring.com. They stock ALOT of wheels including tsw's. I have ordered a ton of stuff from them.

Autocrossing is just as hard on wheels. I daily-drove and autocrossed my TSWs for 2 years and have no chipping paint on them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back