Unusual rear brake wear

w9b5155

Reaction score
Hello all. I recently had my first track day w/my 09 Mustang GT that has 15k miles. By the end of the day I had grinding brakes. I am well aware factory pads are not made for the track. I have plenty of front pad left but the rears are done. The rear rotors were worn (grooved) only on the outer approx. 1/3 of the rotor surface. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Did you have traction control turned off? That uses rear brakes, that'd would toast them fast

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Leave your traction control off, this is why you had excessive wear on the rear pads. Once the rotors are grooved there isn't much that can be done other then buying new ones; replace the pads while you are there as well. Lesson learned for you.....

Travis R

forum member
Reaction score
I cooked the paint off my brand new rear pads within 3 laps of my first session. That blue paint was so pretty too..... ;)

w9b5155

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I thought it was quite unusual that the rears wore out before the fronts.

w9b5155

Reaction score
0b7c6d6df236d3d647f8cb1182971a6a.jpg
Is this grease slinging on the fronts anything to be concerned about?

w9b5155

Reaction score
Thank you Jason!! Very helpful info. Going to check em now.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score

2 issues. Need to find where the grease is coming from obviously and the grease getting on the pad with excessive heat will glaze the pads quickly!

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score

Check the inside of your rear rims, if there is gear oil in there it is the axle seals. They do weep after time, especially after driving on the track. They are not hard to change at all.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Check the inside of your rear rims, if there is gear oil in there it is the axle seals. They do weep after time, especially after driving on the track. They are not hard to change at all.

That's a front hub

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Hubs, seals and fluids are all common track failure points. If you are going to be doing your own maintenance to your track car, you should learn how to inspect these items, and a few others, and do it religiously between events and know the warning signs so you can take corrective action during events.

I'll refer you to the "Common Track Failures" thread: http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116787

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
Hubs, seals and fluids are all common track failure points. If you are going to be doing your own maintenance to your track car, you should learn how to inspect these items, and a few others, and do it religiously between events and know the warning signs so you can take corrective action during events.

^^^^
THIS!

If you want to play at the track, you need to be safe. Even our best drivers have had bad days.

modernbeat

Jason McDaniel @ Vorshlag
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I realize I came off a little bit elitist. Not my intention. Threads like this are important so you start to pickup on some of the issues that crop up and can learn from others experience, like that video that Terry made, so you can be safer and have better performance on track. This experience and judgement doesn't just spring into your head. It's built from experience and sharing. Not only experience on your own car, but helping your friends at the track, and paying attention to what's happening to the other cars around your paddock.

That's why I pointed you to the Track Failure thread.

midlife5.0

Reaction score
I'll be doing my first HPDE (at this track and in this car) in a couple weeks at Gingerman. My car is new 2014 auto with Brembo package, 1000 miles on it with the Good Year F1 something or others. I fully get the pads should be changed but they won't be before this event. I am signed up for novice group with instructor and should get five 20 minute sessions.

Being said novice, the thought of turning of traction control scares me. I am Ok admitting I kind of like the idea of it babysitting me. I planned to put trans in sport mode and have a 7/10th's sort of day learning this car hopefully.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back