Upgrading the 5.0?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
After you install some lower compression rods/pistons...as the only think who will hear is boom...11:1 compression and anything over 6 lbs of boost= well you know.....

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
After you install some lower compression rods/pistons...as the only think who will hear is boom...11:1 compression and anything over 6 lbs of boost= well you know.....

You're thinking of a pushrod single cam engine that was essentially designed in the early 60's.

This new 11:1 4V can run on 87 octane. That means it "acts" like it has 9.0:1 compression. That also means that this thing can be supercharged almost no differently than the previous 3V's. The internals are atleast as strong or possibly stronger than the 3V, so with the right tune, I don't see why it couldn't see roughly the same amount of boost.

Surfstang2020

forum member
Reaction score
Id say the basics like longtube headers exhaust( I wonder if flowmaster will make a bad@$$ sounding exhaust system like for the old school 5.0s?) colda air and tune and maybe a few other boltons should make sme pretty good power. I saw motor trends test video on you tube and it dynod at 425 hp which I hope is correct cause these suckers will fly

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
well by calculating the 12.8 at 111. a 3600lb car, with an avg 200 lb man. thats 3800lbs= 381BHP. That is a little under fords 412 rating which was achieved on 91 oct. Maybe MT tested on 97?

Sorry for the edit, My calc estimates bhp, not rwhp.

Last edited:

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You're thinking of a pushrod single cam engine that was essentially designed in the early 60's.

This new 11:1 4V can run on 87 octane. That means it "acts" like it has 9.0:1 compression. That also means that this thing can be supercharged almost no differently than the previous 3V's. The internals are atleast as strong or possibly stronger than the 3V, so with the right tune, I don't see why it couldn't see roughly the same amount of boost.

I hope you are right...time will tell.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It can run on 87 octane but the computer pulls timing as there are hp numbers for 93/87 octane...not much of a difference but still....

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know...which is why I don't understand how it will withstand FI....

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And I don't think CR changes from 1960-2010..it's still the same..technology has advanced and there are more sensors that can pull timing/prevent the driver from hurting the engine....

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
And I don't think CR changes from 1960-2010..it's still the same..technology has advanced and there are more sensors that can pull timing/prevent the driver from hurting the engine....

It's not simply timing. On a pushrod motor, you can pull all the timing you want, but if your try and run 87 octane on 11:1 compression, you're pistons will have a very short life.

On the new 5.0L, the piston squirters are a big part of why this motor can run on 87 octane, combine that with independent variable cam control, knock sensors, and some smart programming. All part of something any pushrod motor could even dream of.

So yeah, the way a motor reacts to compression has changed. With the pistons staying cool, and the cams working independently, there's a lot that can be done with high compression, pump gas, and boost.

If Ford had given us forged pistons and rods (real ones) in this motor with everything else the same, I think the potential for HP would be rediculous. Imagine this motor with 20+ lbs of boost and race gas. It would be somewhere way north of 1000 hp.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
If ford didnt think this motor could handle boost, why would they work with shelby (gt350) and put a blower on the car with low boost and warranty it? Its like 19cobra93 said if you have good oct and 6-7psi this motor will be happy. If you dont have the oct. the computer will pull timing, and change intake and exhaust to make sure you dont detonate. And basically decrease power to a safe level.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If ford didnt think this motor could handle boost, why would they work with shelby (gt350) and put a blower on the car with low boost and warranty it? Its like 19cobra93 said if you have good oct and 6-7psi this motor will be happy. If you dont have the oct. the computer will pull timing, and change intake and exhaust to make sure you dont detonate. And basically decrease power to a safe level.

You just answered the question....LOW BOOST...5-6 PSI it can handle..anything over 6 lbs and I don't see how the rods/pistons will take it...so if you are comparing the cost of a normal s/c that can produce 8-10 lbs of boost for a 3V for a cost of let's say $5k for argumetns sake and then the s/c companies have to tone the s/c down for the 5.0 to 5-6 lbs of boost and charge approx the same price....not a very good bang for the buck ratio, not that won't stop people from doing it...

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's not simply timing. On a pushrod motor, you can pull all the timing you want, but if your try and run 87 octane on 11:1 compression, you're pistons will have a very short life.

On the new 5.0L, the piston squirters are a big part of why this motor can run on 87 octane, combine that with independent variable cam control, knock sensors, and some smart programming. All part of something any pushrod motor could even dream of.

So yeah, the way a motor reacts to compression has changed. With the pistons staying cool, and the cams working independently, there's a lot that can be done with high compression, pump gas, and boost.

If Ford had given us forged pistons and rods (real ones) in this motor with everything else the same, I think the potential for HP would be rediculous. Imagine this motor with 20+ lbs of boost and race gas. It would be somewhere way north of 1000 hp.

Good explanation, thanks! Wonder how much is left for the aftermarket tuners to adjust and produce gains...

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
then the s/c companies have to tone the s/c down for the 5.0 to 5-6 lbs of boost and charge approx the same price....not a very good bang for the buck ratio, not that won't stop people from doing it...

Something to consider, this new motor flows a lot of air, a lot more than the 3V. So even though it's only seeing 6 PSI, it doesn't mean the supercharger is hardly working. The same supercharger with the same pulley would probably make 5 or 6 more psi on a 3V as it would on the new 5.0L.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Something to consider, this new motor flows a lot of air, a lot more than the 3V. So even though it's only seeing 6 PSI, it doesn't mean the supercharger is hardly working. The same supercharger with the same pulley would probably make 5 or 6 more psi on a 3V as it would on the new 5.0L.
right. not to mention the tune itself is probably super-safe

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dynamic vs. static compression ratio.
Static is the number quoted in magazines, dynamic takes the valve timing into consideration. Dynamic can be changed slightly with VCT on a single cam system, it can be changed dramatically on a dual cam system.
Open the exhaust valve earlier or close the intake valve later-or a bit of both at the right time and boost will not be a problem.
The article on the headers that has been posted somewhere gives an excellent hint as the first place to look when looking for more power out of the 5.0L.
I will be willing to bet that many tuners will learn things the hard way before really tapping into this engine's potential.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score

All you have to do is look at the LS-based engines or any four valve modular race engine with compression and boost to see the power potential of this new engine. Mihovetz makes 9 hp per cubic inch on 281", 11:1 compression, and 52 psi of boost in the lights. IF you have the fuel and a strong enough base you can make an insane amount of power.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back