Thinking of upgrading from 05 to 13 should I do it?

Miker

Reaction score
Thinking of trading off my 2005 Roush stage 1 for a 2013 GT. My Roush has just been gone through with all new suspension parts (GT500) and a 1 piece driveline. Runs perfect.

The 2013 has under 18K on it. Car has never been in an accident and is like new. It has the 401A package as well as Nav, Brembo, 373 rear end, comfort package, heated mirrors with pony lamps.
Here is the mod list provided by the seller.

LMR GT500 WHEELS Nito tires
275-35-19 front
305-35-19 rear
Borla Touring Exhaust axel back
Steeda lowering springs 1" front
1.5" Rear
Steeda adjustable front strut mounts
Steeda adjustable panhard bar
Ford Racing Trac Calc tuner CARB
legal
Two sets engine coil covers. Original gray plus the blue covers on the motor now.
Black shifter ball
Custom front license plate bracket, no holes in bumper
Custom car cover
I have all the original parts including the Brembo wheels and tires.

Are the cars really that different? Does the 2013 ride/handle better? I know the 5.0 has a lot more power but really I am happy with the power from my 2005. And I like the way the Roush looks better too.
I would have to put out about 14K to make the switch as I could probably get 15K for the Roush and the 2013 is asking 26.5K

2013 WS.jpg

Last edited:

Miker

Reaction score
Not really wanting to ad complexity as i am happy with the power.
Really looking for advice from those that have owned both and any differences / improvements they noticed.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I had a 2009 Bullitt (heavily modified) and a 2014 GT. The 2014 handled much better and was amazingly stable at 130mph. A few more creature comforts as well. I bought it as a second car to drive instead of my pickup but my pickup rode much better on long trips. In the Mustang I had to stop every couple hours and get out to rest. I ended up trading my Mustang in on a newer pickup and sold my old pickup.

Miker

Reaction score
Was your 13 suspension modified? It seems like they are pretty much the same until 2015. Wondering why your 09 didn't handle as well as your 13. Tires? From this link the only difference I can see is a less than 1 inch overall length but slightly less driver leg room in the newer car. Wheelbase and suspension seems the same throughout.

AHaze

Reaction score
I haven't owned both but I have logged a decent number of miles behind the wheel of a close friend's '14 GT on top of having had my '05 for nearly 10 years.
To me the reasons to step up to the newer car are limited to the engine and the nicer interior. If you're happy with the power your 3V is putting out, that leaves just the interior which wouldn't be enough for me to part with $14k.
The 2010+ cars with the performance package certainly handle better than the early cars but they're still a marshmallowy mess IMHO so all the same parts would end up getting replaced with aftermarket stuff anyway.
If you love the '13 then $14K seems like a reasonable price to pay considering the low mileage but it sounds like that might not be the case.

Miker

Reaction score
I haven't owned both but I have logged a decent number of miles behind the wheel of a close friend's '14 GT on top of having had my '05 for nearly 10 years.
To me the reasons to step up to the newer car are limited to the engine and the nicer interior. If you're happy with the power your 3V is putting out, that leaves just the interior which wouldn't be enough for me to part with $14k.
The 2010+ cars with the performance package certainly handle better than the early cars but they're still a marshmallowy mess IMHO so all the same parts would end up getting replaced with aftermarket stuff anyway.
If you love the '13 then $14K seems like a reasonable price to pay considering the low mileage but it sounds like that might not be the case.
I have made up my mind for now. I will stay with my 2005. Thanks for the comments.

GriffX

Reaction score
I made a list of the suspension modification Ford did for the 2011+:

Front
- new LCA geomertry
- upper strut mount
- aerodynamics, air dam and closed engine bay
- sway bar, sway bar bushings
- steering knuckle

Rear
- UCA geometry
- sway bar

I guess that the firmness of the rubber bushings also changed, combined with spring rates and damping. Softer bump stops F/R.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Was your 13 suspension modified? It seems like they are pretty much the same until 2015. Wondering why your 09 didn't handle as well as your 13. Tires? From this link the only difference I can see is a less than 1 inch overall length but slightly less driver leg room in the newer car. Wheelbase and suspension seems the same throughout.

Two totally different suspensions. One has a solid rear axle and the other has an independent suspension in the rear.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken… S197 05-14 all had solid axle 8.8.

IRS was used on circa 1999-04 Cobras only and now the New mustang 2015+ have IRS.

I have not been in a new 2015+ so don’t know how they ride or perform?

Miker

Reaction score
Unless I am mistaken… S197 05-14 all had solid axle 8.8.

IRS was used on circa 1999-04 Cobras only and now the New mustang 2015+ have IRS.

I have not been in a new 2015+ so don’t know how they ride or perform?
You're not mistaken. 2013 still had the solid axel. No IRS until 2015 with the exception of the earlier Cobras. And since I updated my 2005 to the GT500 front and rear LCAs I have the stiffer durometer bushings already. Also the 2005 is much simpler electronically. Just what's needed and nothing else.

I think if I did make a change at this point I would look for a 2010 SRT Challenger in B5 blue. Gasp!

JC SSP

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a Hemi! I have had two of them and they run like champ!

GlassTop09

Reaction score
I guess that the firmness of the rubber bushings also changed, combined with spring rates and damping. Softer bump stops F/R.
Yes, this is also true. Why going by the physical shape & color of the MY OEM bushing materials along w\ the MY OEM component shape\design is deceiving. The bushing durometer ratings are different due to intended usage........the OEM Ford SVT GT500 parts are using the stiffest durometer rubber in the bushings for very obvious reasons.......2x-2.5x the engine HP\TQ output along w\ more emphasis on handling\control..........but this is also true for any 11-14 MY Coyote-based S197 as well vs the 05-10 MY 4.6L 3V-based S197 due to the HP\TQ output increase placing higher demands on the suspension components.

The suspension parts I can't understand why Ford Racing\Performance didn't package as 05-14 S197 aftermarket performance parts are the front LCA's & rear LCA's & UCA for the 2012-2013 OEM Boss 302\Boss 302 LS.......they packaged the OEM front\rear brake lines off these cars as a performance upgrade (I have this kit installed on my '09 GT when I also upgraded the front brakes to the 07-09 OEM GT500 14" rotor, 4-piston "Brembos" replacement kit from StopTech along w\ all matching OEM spec 07-09 GT500 brake pads) as this model was specifically designed\intended for track use as well as on public roads\hiways.........thus the bushing rubber durometer used had to be stiff enough to maintain some geometry compliance under track stresses IMHO.

Reaction score
Thinking of trading off my 2005 Roush stage 1 for a 2013 GT. My Roush has just been gone through with all new suspension parts (GT500) and a 1 piece driveline. Runs perfect.

The 2013 has under 18K on it. Car has never been in an accident and is like new. It has the 401A package as well as Nav, Brembo, 373 rear end, comfort package, heated mirrors with pony lamps.
Here is the mod list provided by the seller.

LMR GT500 WHEELS Nito tires
275-35-19 front
305-35-19 rear
Borla Touring Exhaust axel back
Steeda lowering springs 1" front
1.5" Rear
Steeda adjustable front strut mounts
Steeda adjustable panhard bar
Ford Racing Trac Calc tuner CARB
legal
Two sets engine coil covers. Original gray plus the blue covers on the motor now.
Black shifter ball
Custom front license plate bracket, no holes in bumper
Custom car cover
I have all the original parts including the Brembo wheels and tires.

Are the cars really that different? Does the 2013 ride/handle better? I know the 5.0 has a lot more power but really I am happy with the power from my 2005. And I like the way the Roush looks better too.
I would have to put out about 14K to make the switch as I could probably get 15K for the Roush and the 2013 is asking 26.5K

View attachment 91556
I think you answered your own question to be honest. I’ve owned two 2005-09 GTs and a 2013 GT with the track package. I liked them all in their own way, but the biggest difference between the two was the power. If you’re happy with the power output you have now, and like the styling better, I don’t see much reason to spend $14k. The interior in the 2013 was slightly nicer than the 05-09, but I wouldn’t call it a drastic improvement and certainly not worth $14k.

As far as handling goes, the track package car I had still handled like a wet noodle in stock form. I have Ford racing, steeda, and GT500 suspension components on my 2008 and it handles better than my 2013 did. The biggest improvement was the brakes, but I remedied that with 4 piston Brembos.

I am currently building a coyote for the 2008 so I have the best of both worlds in my opinion as I also prefer the 05-09 styling.

72Stick

Reaction score
I'd stick with the 05 for that kinda money. The 13s are a great car, but even with low miles I wouldn't invest $26 on a 13. For that money you could have a nicer mid mileage s550. The refinement from the s197 platform to the S550 is night and day. I have both a 2014 GT and a 2016 GT. The 14 is my hot rod drag car and the 16 is my highway machine.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I only paid $36k for my 2014 GT California Special brand new. I traded it in 2019 and the dealership sold it for $24K with a one piece driveshaft, Boss 10" rims with Michelin Sport Cup tires and other add ons. It had 25K miles on it.

DieHarder

Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back