vibration while braking....

Punishermustang

forum member
Reaction score
My steering wheel vibrates pretty bad when I start to apply the brakes goes away if I get on them hard. My first thought was warped rotors. I got new rotors with about 6k miles on them and new pads. Seemed to help a little but still there. Recently changed wheels which I think are slightly off balance and now it's worse. I also went to a wider heavier tire/wheel in front. Could it be wheel that off balance?

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
ill start with the simple stuff and balance the wheels.if that dosent help try cutting the disks on the brakes.can you see any hot spots on the disk by any chance?

05gtkid

Reaction score
Mine wobbles after braking at about 120mph and higher, is it just them getting hot? Sorry for the thread jack.

BlueByYou

Tuscarora Native American
Reaction score
How could the rotor's you got be new if they had 6k miles on them?? It seems they are warped also. Just take the rotors you took off and get them resurfaced and have your wheels and tires rebalanced,problem solved.

Last edited:

Punishermustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well I meant new compared to the 90k rotors I had on it. I did think I noticed black spots on them the other day. The rims and tires were just put on and balanced.

Anyone know an average price on resurfacing 4 rotors? Maybe a dumb question but I dont drive it on a road course. I use the gas way more than the brake. Are these brakes notorious for getting hot?

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Are they factory rotors with better than factory pads? When I replaced the pads on my car and machined the rotors, it didn't take long for them to warp. I went with better than factory replacements and my guess is they worked better and generated more heat than the factory rotors could handle. Had then turned again and same thing happened. I did check the brakes to make sure I didn't have a sticking caliper too. Bought a set of drilled and slotted rotors and haven't had any issues in the 20k miles they've been on.

If you only feel it when braking, your rotors are warped. You might get lucky having them turned but you should also start making plans on getting replacements. Most auto parts stores will turn them pretty cheap.

Punishermustang

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah factory rotors with EBC pads. I got this set of rotors for free from someone who upgraded. Guess you get what you dont pay for. Haha.

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Have the rotors turned so it don't drive you nuts and shop for another set. My fronts were the worse and I noticed a huge difference just changing them. Most of the braking is done by the fronts. Some of the EBay ones are actually decent.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
warped rear rotors. pretty much guaranteed. it only takes once...

Edit - you could upgrade to the 2011 brembo package rear brakes! baaahahhaha

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Another thing to check if the rotors aren't warped are the pads. Pads can wear differently due to a sticky piston, bad metering/proportioning valve, rusty slide bolts that hold the calipers on and a few other reasons. If the pads are cracked or they aren't worn so they are flat, both inner and outer pads, or the inner pad is worn a lot more than the outer pad, then you have something wrong between the calipers and the master cylinder.

onequicktang

forum member
Reaction score
make sure the wheel bearing and back side of the rotors are clean and free of rust or they wont sit flush and that will cause a pulsation.

BlueByYou

Tuscarora Native American
Reaction score
About $10 a rotor to turn them. I just bought a brand new set of rotors from NewTakeOff.com for $39.99,about $48 shipped. They were OEM Ford rotors,no chinese junk either. Alot of brake warping comes from late braking and having to hammer the brakes to a stop, secondly, spraying your hot rotors with water during a wash and driving through deep water during rain with hot rotors will warp them also. I know first hand because my wife does these bad habits and eats through rotors and pads like a fat baby eats cake!!

Last edited:

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
My steering wheel vibrates pretty bad when I start to apply the brakes goes away if I get on them hard. My first thought was warped rotors. I got new rotors with about 6k miles on them and new pads. Seemed to help a little but still there. Recently changed wheels which I think are slightly off balance and now it's worse. I also went to a wider heavier tire/wheel in front. Could it be wheel that off balance?

A; rotors don't warp, they get pad build up.

B; heavier tires and wheels are way more sensitive to balancing than a lighter set. Most shops balance for how most people drive. 120+mph isn't normal. Try a shop that caters to the high performance guys for balancing.

C; the brakes are very sensitive to being clean and maintained. A slightly sticky piston at 120 mph again is different than a 35 mph stop. Especially the back brakes with the emergency brake cables. The rubber grommets that are supposed to keep water from entering go bad early. Make sure all that area is clean and well lubed with brake part specific lube.

D; even though you don't track your car often doesn't mean your brakes don't see extreme duty. Stopping 3600 pounds from 120+ mph is hard on them. Performance cars take more maintenance than a corolla. If you've recently turned your rotors and are still getting a vibration it's time to look at your calipers, and/or your wheel balancing.

Last edited:

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
(lol) the board of missinformation !

REPLACE YOUR BALL JOINTS AND THE PROBLEM WILL BE GONE ! (check tie rod ends also)

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
(lol) the board of missinformation !

REPLACE YOUR BALL JOINTS AND THE PROBLEM WILL BE GONE ! (check tie rod ends also)

could be, but I had a vibration with less than 3K on my car. It was rear calipers, caused by water in the emergency brake cable.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back