Vortech Intercooler question

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
Air/air or air/water? Does anyone have a pic of the air/air on the car? Also, do you have to cut the black splash guard under the car to accomodate the piping, like the Procharger kit?

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There's lots of discussion on this topic here, if you search.

I have a Vortech blower and a Paxton air/air aftercooler. It's exactly the same as the Vortech cooler, since they're the same company now. I prefer this setup because I don't have to worry about the water being full. The splash guard did not need to be cut.

I don't have any pics with the bumper off. If there's something specific you want to see, let me know. Here's what my setup looks like from the top... you can see where the air pipes go downstairs.

I'm currently making 542 rwhp and 482 ft-lbs on 15 psi with long tubes. It'll be more soon, since I hope to get an Anderson power pipe, or build my own.

mondo01.jpg

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
I did a search, and did not find exactly what I was looking for, but I did find some interesting reads. Thats good to know about the splash guard. On my ProShit kit you had to. I really want to see a pic from the front with the bumper on, I want to see how obvious it is. I am going for the stealth look since I have a Bullitt. I guess I could paint it black, but I would just like to see. I like the idea of not having a bunch of hoses running all over the place, and since I road race, the less to break, the better. I will do some more searching.

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome link! It says it was only tested to 120 mph, that's weak. I let you know how they hold up at 140 down the back straight at Mid Ohio. The Int. is not really that obvious, really just looks like a cond. or rad. Thanks for the link and quick response.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hey, while we're at it, I'll tell you what I don't like about this set-up: it makes everything way too tight in front of the engine. I'm talking about an eighth of an inch clearance in some places. I was considering an 8 rib kit for a while, until I realized there's no way it would fit. There's literally only a fraction of an inch between the power steering pulley and the down pipe.

That said, I still like this rig. I have the Innovators-West 10% overdrive crank pulley/balancer and the 2.87" pulley, and surprisingly no belt slip whatsoever.

Racer X

forum member
Reaction score
I figured so. It was tight on my Procharger as well.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back