What a PITA!

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I had a P0153 that I thought might have been due to humidity and low temps. Cleared the code, but it came back in dryer weather.

Yesterday I replaced the upstream left side sensor with an NTK 22060 sensor. What a pain in the assets!

I thought it would be easy b/c I had no memory of it from installing headers. Once I was into it I realized that I had removed and installed that sensor before I put it on the car.

I tried every way imaginable to put a socket on that sensor, but I could never get it close to fitting. I probably wasted an hour playing around with that. The tool that could possibly work was
1708483700489.png

- or actually the 7/8 crow's foot I bought from a local parts store.

Even with the crow's foot, I could only turn it about 5°. My brother-in-law broke the code and showed me that if I set the ratchet to loosen, the crow's foot flopped the wrong way. If you set the ratchet to tighten, the crow's foot flops the right way, then you switch the ratchet to loosen, turn a little, move the crow's foot, loosen... For installation, get it finger tight, then reverse the process.

The other thing I don't understand is why the Ford manual tells you to raise the car. Everything that worked, worked from the top, but not the bottom.

07 Boss

Reaction score
That sucks. Where are your sensors at? Mine are right next to the collector and a lot easier than the stock locations.

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Mine are about an inch or two upstream of the flange. I have BBK ceramic shorties.

I had thought that the sensor would be easier to removed due to the ceramic, but that took some serious torque to loosen.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Oh, didn't know they were shorties. So stock location pretty much. Yeah they're in an ugly spot.

GriffX

Reaction score
Different car same problem, I was able to use a 12 point box end wrench to get it off. I opened the connector and put the wire through the wrench. The chinease O2 sensor crow feet type sockets are anyway very weak and spread under load.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I have one of these. Don't remember where I got it and I'm not sure how it works with the stock sensor locations but I can fit it in most places I've had to.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back