Wheel/tyre question/opinion

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all :helpme: - I know that this has been done to death, hell I'm tired (no pun intended!) of reading all the threads (gets confusing too!). So apols in advance but....

I've got an 05 GT which will be lowered about 1" (Ford racing springs/shox), the next stage is looking at rims and tyres. Currently torn between the same wheel in different sizes which is the FR500 (anthracite) in 18" and 20", I figure both rears will end up as 275's and the fronts likely 255's. As best as I can make out using the tire dimensions calculator (http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos) there's not much to choose between them in terms of rolling radius - my question relates to looks and will the damn things fit?

would a front/rear combo of 18"/20" work or just look shit? Within broad parameters my attitude is :wgaf: about what non-car people think and followed with a side dish of :kma: BUT if people on here have tried some of these combos and found out it sucks balls it'd be better to know some of the pit-falls in advance

:thanks1:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
staggered set ups will work fine, typically its more like a 1" diameter in wheel size (think Corvette), however as long as you keep the f/r tire diameter close it will look ok and be fine as far the the set up on the car

if you are going to stagger the 18s 255/45 & 285/40 is the stock GT500 sizes.

if you use the car as a DD, you should consider keeping f/r all the same size to allow for tire rotation and longevity of your tires.

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
staggered set ups will work fine, typically its more like a 1" diameter in wheel size (think Corvette), however as long as you keep the f/r tire diameter close it will look ok and be fine as far the the set up on the car

if you are going to stagger the 18s 255/45 & 285/40 is the stock GT500 sizes.

if you use the car as a DD, you should consider keeping f/r all the same size to allow for tire rotation and longevity of your tires.

cool, thanks for that - as much as I like the thought of 20's I'm heading more and more to the 18's route as with the roads over here are quite shockingly bad :damnit: so a little extra 'give' is likely a good idea.

Got Trq

Reaction score
My car has 20's all around, and they aren't bad. But I think 18/20 would be a little too drastic but a 19 in front 20 in back would work, like the new GT500's have :)

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
well the deed is done - 20s all round was the eventual decision. Mainly financial/practical to be fair, 18s seem to be harder to find in the sizes I want so (short term at least!) I'll be on 295/30/20 rears and 255/35/20 fronts on FR500s (which seem to be very uncommon over here in the UK)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back