WHIPPLE MONOBLADE ISSUES - P2104 -Forced Idle Mode- & "Failsafe"

Eel Mit

forum member
Reaction score
One issue that arises is when you transfer over the OEM parts to the new throttle body. If you over-wind the spring, it can overwork the stepper motor, leading to failures. The stepper motor isn't very strong and is already being over worked by the bigger, heavier throttle blades + trying to close against more airflow (suction from bigger boost) and more leverage on said throttle blades.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bump - I have not been able to work on the car since this happened. part a lack of time, part a lack of motivation and part a sense that I know what I'll be doing.

Does anyone know of a write up that shows in detail the clocking of the spring? I did find a write up on swapping the electronics and spring over to a new TB and it's pretty good. I was hoping I could find a more detailed one. I've not been able to so far after looking on 3 sites

TIA

Boozshey

Reaction score
The best thing to do would be go and look up the bbk video on youtube. Its exactly what you need to do. I'm not home or id link you.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
bump for added question

has anyone notice how hot the actuator motor gets?

I talked to Ron (94tbird) and he indicated that his was around ambient (engine bay ambient) after racing. Anyone else notice how's there is? if not, can you check after driving you car some?

Mine seemed to be very hot, almost burning to the skin, this leads me to believe that the motor is no good.

TIA all

Boozshey

Reaction score
I'm going to drive my car this evening. I will check it out when I get home.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce

I come to find out that to get a new motor you need to order a entire TB - so I ordered one today, I'll take the electronics off and swap them over then will sell the TB and TPS if that solves the problem

Boozshey

Reaction score
Well, my throttle body motor was a lot hotter than the throttle body was and the throttle body was hotter than the blower. But the motor was for sure hotter than anything else.

Hope that helps.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To all guys out there, big Kudos to Van of ReVan Racing, helping me out at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night as I was working on the swap.

I got started later then I had wanted, the wife and I went to a party around 1 and lets just say the cold ones went down easy and quick, so I had to rest up some.

So I got the swap done, but I don't want to start the car tonight as its late and the car is loud and there are a lot of young kids around my home.

Here's a quick comparison of the stock TB vs. the Monoblade
ec1dbddc.jpg

Here are a few interesting things I found out:

With the 4.0L there is now way to take off the motor housing on the car, no room as the brake fluid tank makes contact with the actuator motor.

The brass gears wear as they are used. Check out the pics of what I found after I opened up the TB.

b1c91df8.jpg

897cd653.jpg

All cleaned out:

b3bda79a.jpg

All back together and the top part of the blade was polished up some with a nylon brush on a small Dremel tool.
8bd53639.jpg

7ab48141.jpg

Start to finish it took me about two hours, as I lost a lot of time cleaning the RTV off the TB and getting the metal shavings out.

Now I hope the car is GTG in the morning.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Dave did Lund have a problem tuning with the monoblade? I thought i saw where he didnt like them.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
define trouble?

the car was tuned with it prior to my purchase of the car, there have been a few minor drivablitiy issues for me, hanging RPM and higher idle most prevalent. I have received a new calibration for the TB just yesterday and hope to try it tomorrow. If I can find the damn USB cord I need! Jon said it should be better (more tuning hours with this one) and drive near stock

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just what you said, drivability issues. I thought i had read it somewhere he preferred not tuning the monoblades. Maybe im thinking of something else, lol.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't know if he doesn't like them per se, they are more difficult to get to work like a stock TB then most others from what he told me. However they also flow the best, 1900 CFM, so if you want the MONSTER power, you make sacrifices.

found the USB cord!!!

1lowtoy

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I had problems with the twin bore Whipple doing the same stuff (with the metal gears). They sent out another one the a plastic gear set and that seems to have corrected the issues.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
guess I forgot to update this, the car drove and ran well that Sunday morning.

I did email a pic of the metal dust to Whipple, they asked me for a close up pic, however the car was all buttoned up at the time and I was not taking it apart again to get the shot.

router

Pro Dyno Racing
Reaction score
Our car was going in to fails afe during some burnouts @ the track. We would reload the tune and it would be fine. Some of the sensitivity can be taken out with a tune change. That fixed ours for now. If the TB sees something it does not like, it will go into Fail Safe.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had tried reloading the tune a few times first. the swap of the motor fixed the issue

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back