WOTBOX and hella backfires/popping?

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
have you ever had a good launch off the 2 step, or does it fall flat like there is no power when you launch off 2step? reason im asking is do you have code p0300 turned off, which is multiple random misfire, if that code is not turned off the car will act funny when trying to launch off 2step.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
have you ever had a good launch off the 2 step, or does it fall flat like there is no power when you launch off 2step? reason im asking is do you have code p0300 turned off, which is multiple random misfire, if that code is not turned off the car will act funny when trying to launch off 2step.

when i was first trying it out, i was trying to time it just right so it would build boost just as the light went green, well everytime i tried to time it i would just be on it way too long or not long enough,so i think it was building alot more than 4-5 psi and i think it was flooding out. the last 3 passes i made i didnt even look at the light. i just looked at the boost gauge and when it hit 4-5psi i let out on the clutch and it took off great, so yeah, i did have some good launches with the 2 step.

when i was out datalogging today, i noticed i was ok and no popping until i stayed on it for probably way to long and at one point it built up 8-9 psi psi just sitting there.

another thing i noticed was it was very dependent on how hot the motor was. cold it would only build 2 psi with no popping, very hot it would build 8 psi, normal temps 5-6 before it would start popping.

its set at 4krpms, TPS voltage threshold is at 3 volts,which is where it was set when i got it. i may just try 3krpm or 3.5 rpm.

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
that sounds weird. cause my understanding is that even if a little fuel gets into the cylinder when the piston comes up and the exhaust valve is open it should push most of the fuel out cause you to see it out the tailpipe. now my setup is just motor, but it sounds like something aint right. ques if you hold the gas to rev the motor to build boost will it pop at that point while not using the 2step? i might recheck all my wires just to be sure. what about boost controller or does your setup not have that option?

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
that sounds weird. cause my understanding is that even if a little fuel gets into the cylinder when the piston comes up and the exhaust valve is open it should push most of the fuel out cause you to see it out the tailpipe. now my setup is just motor, but it sounds like something aint right. ques if you hold the gas to rev the motor to build boost will it pop at that point while not using the 2step? i might recheck all my wires just to be sure. what about boost controller or does your setup not have that option?

well thats what im guess,fuel is getting pushed down the exhaust, flames coming out of the tial pipes. its only doing it after i hold the gas for 7-8 seconds,its not doing it right away.its building up fuel before it starts popping. ill try it with the new tune and see what happens.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
7-8 seconds seems like a long time to sit on the 2-step. Does it take that long for the boost to build to where you want it? I'm not a turbo guy, just sounds like a long time to me. I'll be getting a WOT box soon too so I'm interested in what you find out is the problem.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
7-8 seconds seems like a long time to sit on the 2-step. Does it take that long for the boost to build to where you want it? I'm not a turbo guy, just sounds like a long time to me. I'll be getting a WOT box soon too so I'm interested in what you find out is the problem.

i may be exaggerating a bit,seems like forever,lol.ill time it with my phone next time.

Last edited:

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
7-8 seconds damn, i always roll and stage first so im not rushing at the last second, once i see the other guy stage i enable my 2step and 2-3 seconds later im gone, the light guy is pretty on key with starting the lights down here. just a thought you can try, cut down on time and see if it helps. if not call or email N2MB and see what they say

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
7-8 seconds damn, i always roll and stage first so im not rushing at the last second, once i see the other guy stage i enable my 2step and 2-3 seconds later im gone, the light guy is pretty on key with starting the lights down here. just a thought you can try, cut down on time and see if it helps. if not call or email N2MB and see what they say

what rpm do you use?
how much boost do you build in those 2-3 seconds?

maybe i need to raise my rpm to build the boost quicker?
mine is set to 4krpm,and there is a tps setting too but i dont know it will change anything.

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
Oh no I'm N/A. No power adder. My 2step is set at 6k for down here. They are pretty good at preping the track. In my understanding if you have the boost set for a certain max psi it should not go over. I would one time test the 2step at 2500 and see what it does. And test it at 5000 and see what it does. Once at wide open throttle you should be at max boost I assuming. Now granted you are spitting more fuel out cause of the blower, mine pops on just motor on my 2step but it's normal for the fuel that's not burnt and being pushed out then ignited in the pipes. But mine don't give me any issues when I take off. The N2MB box is made best for blower and turbo cars. You might give mofasta and email and see what he says about it. He works at N2MB I'm sure he can tell you why your haveing the issues your having. But reguardless of the popping if your building boost where u need it to be and coming off the hard like you should I don't think your gonna have any issues unless something is way off.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Oh no I'm N/A. No power adder. My 2step is set at 6k for down here. They are pretty good at preping the track. In my understanding if you have the boost set for a certain max psi it should not go over. I would one time test the 2step at 2500 and see what it does. And test it at 5000 and see what it does. Once at wide open throttle you should be at max boost I assuming. Now granted you are spitting more fuel out cause of the blower, mine pops on just motor on my 2step but it's normal for the fuel that's not burnt and being pushed out then ignited in the pipes. But mine don't give me any issues when I take off. The N2MB box is made best for blower and turbo cars. You might give mofasta and email and see what he says about it. He works at N2MB I'm sure he can tell you why your haveing the issues your having. But reguardless of the popping if your building boost where u need it to be and coming off the hard like you should I don't think your gonna have any issues unless something is way off.

yeah,im going to play with the settings, i was thinking backwards when i was at the track. i lowered the rpm thinking it would not throw in as much fuel and thinking it would stop the popping....but what i think i should have done was raise the rpm so it would build boost that much quicker, so i would not have to hold the pedal down so long....so im going to give that a try and see what happens. plus its all relivant to how hot the exhaust is,ive seen the cooler the car is the longer it takes to make the boost.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
yeah,im going to play with the settings, i was thinking backwards when i was at the track. i lowered the rpm thinking it would not throw in as much fuel and thinking it would stop the popping....but what i think i should have done was raise the rpm so it would build boost that much quicker, so i would not have to hold the pedal down so long....so im going to give that a try and see what happens. plus its all relivant to how hot the exhaust is,ive seen the cooler the car is the longer it takes to make the boost.

More heat, more speed, fastest spool.

stangvenom08

forum member
Reaction score
good deal yea try 5k first and see if it gets better. now remember it will pop with the amount fuel your spitting but it might be less noticable, cause the motor is turning faster, i think i worded that right. let me know what happens im curious

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
i think i may be on to figuring out the problem....im starting to think im getting "spark blow out", when i get to around 6400rpm its like im hitting the rev limiter, this is at only 11-15psi.

2 different sets of plugs both gapped at .30, but what i think is happening is the spark is blowing out and then pushing the unburnt fuel into the exhaust,then ignighting it inside the tail pipes.

what can i do for this? different gap, BAS? id really like to try upping the spark and gapping the pluggs even less.....suggestions?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
i think i may be on to figuring out the problem....im starting to think im getting "spark blow out", when i get to around 6400rpm its like im hitting the rev limiter, this is at only 11-15psi.

2 different sets of plugs both gapped at .30, but what i think is happening is the spark is blowing out and then pushing the unburnt fuel into the exhaust,then ignighting it inside the tail pipes.

what can i do for this? different gap, BAS? id really like to try upping the spark and gapping the pluggs even less.....suggestions?

Try .028 but that would be really the first time I'll see a 3V using gapped HT0s do it.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Have any of you ever seen/heard a turbo car on the two step??????

You need to search YouTube for some Outlaw 10.5 cars staging and leaving.

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
Try .028 but that would be really the first time I'll see a 3V using gapped HT0s do it.

ive been doing a ton of reading and trying to figure this out....im almost starting the think that @ .30 maybe the gap is too small now,lol, wondering if i should go the other way with it now.

i was thinking the spark was getting blown out by boost,but now im really starting to wonder if its getting blown out by fuel??

ive emailed justin to get his idea on the situation.something is defintly killing spark at about 6400rpms.

in my mind i can see exaclty whats happening, spark is cutting out and raw fuel is loading up in the cylinder and in the exhaust. speark plugs are super clean,i was thinking it must be because its running lean,but it could also be from the amount of fuel.

my wideband indicates that at higher boost levels im actually running very lean, justin has tried a few things out and we cant figure it out. sometimes it shows lean and sometimes it shows fine, without changing anything at all,dyno pulls back to back.i first old him about it and we strapped it down, the car did 2 good pulls at 15psi and a/f looked fine, 3rd pull it showed lean......

just how a 2 step will show lean from raw fuel not being pciked up by the wideband, im wondering if the same thing is going on when im in the higher boost....could too much fuel be thrwoing off the wideband if its not getting burned off?

dyno shows i got 500+ hp at 10psi, but it always feels like im just hitting a wall around 4-5k rpms. my curve is pretty flat, im making 400+ by 4krpms, the from there it rises to just over 500. i guess it feels like this becuase the hp rises so slow once i hit 4krpms.

when im running 15psi, it feels wide awake and pulls real nice.

i dunno know,im looking for any ideas to help me figure it out,i know im missing something here and once i get it figured out ill be unlocking the real potential of the car....something is holding it back!!

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score

yeah,but my car is like X10 to all the noise they are making,lol,and after all the popping it wont even leave the line,like its flooded out. im pretty sure raising the rpm will fix that issue.
i think at 4k rpm,its just taking way to long to build the boost im looking for.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
yeah,but my car is like X10 to all the noise they are making,lol,and after all the popping it wont even leave the line,like its flooded out. im pretty sure raising the rpm will fix that issue.
i think at 4k rpm,its just taking way to long to build the boost im looking for.

Of course it is popping more.....you have more exhaust piping than they do. Their's is burning the exhaust in a 4" diameter downpipe that's usually three or four feet long. Your's is a 3" pipe (I'm guessing...could be 2 1/2...don't know) that is considerably longer.

You are correct on the lower leave rpm though. It's not making enough exhaust velocity off the 2 step.

spedly

forum member
Reaction score

I was about 4 feet from tom kasper's 10.5 car friday night when he was staging. Those cars sound sick sitting there popping and banging.

Back