x-pipe installation questions.....

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Got me an x-pipe yesterday. Got my car up on the jack stands planning to put it on but I can't get the o2 sensors to even budge. Anyone else have trouble getting them out and if so, whatd you do to get them out. Also, the upstream o2 sensor on the passenger side. How the hell are you suposed to get that thing out? I was gonna just unplug it and pull it out once the stock midpipe was out, but I cant even get my hand up to the plug to take it loose. I was pretty dissapointed last night after not being able to hear my car catless:thud:

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sensor is a pain unless you have baby hands. I have done it, but paid the price with gashes all over my hands from the heatshield. Just unbolt the x pipe from the manifolds and let it hang down a bit. Makes getting your hand up there easier.

Just make sure when you are trying to unscrew the sensors that the exhaust is completely cooled off. You will have a higher chance of stripping the threads if everything isnt cooled off.

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
7/8" box end wrench. use the open end lol. use a long screwdriver to pressth botton the o2 plug and it should unplug easily.

Number 1 rule:
Drink lots of beer

Number 2 rule:
Don't over tighten the x-pipe flange nuts

Nimber 3 rule:
Drink lots of beer

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
I had to have my wife get the upsteam one, you have to have tiny hands for it.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Anyone know the torque specs on the flange nuts?
I might try mine soon, need this guy to help.

small+hands.jpg

circusboy

forum member
Reaction score
I think it was like 30FT/LBS or something like that. Alldata has the specs for sure

Mach1Run

forum member
Reaction score
I had to pull the christmas tree pegs to get to mine easier. The also make a nifty socket just to get the 02s out of the pipe.

peetiewonder

Terminator
Reaction score
i have pretty big hands and the top bolt wasn't a problem. i couldnt get one of the o2 sensors out of the cat so i just left them unplugged from the system and jb welded the holes shut on the xpipe and then turned the sensors off.

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
Are you trying to get it off with an open ended/box ended wrench? If so, let me suggest looking into finding something like an O2 sensor socket:

st4491b.jpg

Or like this:

OSS121.jpg

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Miracle, I need tools like that!

Jared, did you get it on? I had a friend with baby hands do mine. When I took it off to do the turbo I had the battery removed and that made it a lot easier to access the back side of the engine where it is tied down. If you get that thing on you have to take a video so I can hear that baby purr. Hope all is well!

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Miracle, I need tools like that!

Jared, did you get it on? I had a friend with baby hands do mine. When I took it off to do the turbo I had the battery removed and that made it a lot easier to access the back side of the engine where it is tied down. If you get that thing on you have to take a video so I can hear that baby purr. Hope all is well!
I am super happy about the xpipe. So happy it is still sitting on my shop floor so I can "admire" it:beerdrink: I just havent had the time to put the car up on the jackstands:idea:to do it yet.

Where can you find these o2 sensor sockets?

Miracle

"Shall not be infringed"
Reaction score
I am super happy about the xpipe. So happy it is still sitting on my shop floor so I can "admire" it:beerdrink: I just havent had the time to put the car up on the jackstands:idea:to do it yet.

Where can you find these o2 sensor sockets?

I've been able to find them at pretty much any parts store. At least around here.

Infamous

BMW
Reaction score
spray liquid wrench on all the bolts and 02 sensors. tap them with a hammer to let it soak in. i took the top manifold/flange bolts off by hand.

pull the factory H backwards and out of hte hangers. while the pipe is hanging, get an open ended wrench (i think 21 or 22mm?) and crank on the upstream o2 sensor. if you used enough liquid wrench, it should come out with hand strength.

then yell loudly and throw the factory H down the driveway

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
spray liquid wrench on all the bolts and 02 sensors. tap them with a hammer to let it soak in. i took the top manifold/flange bolts off by hand.

pull the factory H backwards and out of hte hangers. while the pipe is hanging, get an open ended wrench (i think 21 or 22mm?) and crank on the upstream o2 sensor. if you used enough liquid wrench, it should come out with hand strength.

then yell loudly and throw the factory H down the driveway
Wow, sounds like that shit really works. Never used it, but I think I will tomorrow if I get a chance! Thanks guys! Ill let ya know how it goes:beerdrink:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Jared, when I took my O2 sensors out of that x pipe it was also a tough feat. I took some channel locks and pried the pipe between the ground and a step and leaned on it pretty good. The jaring force from the blow of a hammer on the CL's would probably do it as well with the PB blaster on there. I use that stuff for everything. I used that as solvent when changing out the spark plugs too! Its way better than WD-40.

J.Cagle

forum member
Reaction score
Thats for sure. wd-40 isnt good for anything really. I picked up a can of that Liguid-Wrench stuff. Will see how it works later when I get to the shop.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back