XCAL 2 question, Locked or unlocked?

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was given an XCAL 2 tuner for free. it was programmed for a shelby gt500. I have no desire to use the tunes in there....but was told that it may still be married to the original owners car (it was totaled and he does not know for sure..._) anyways....How can I tell if it is married just o his vehicle...I hooked it up to my GT500 and it powered up fine....I went to read DTC section and it read and told me no DTC to display..I even started the process to PROGRAM my vehicle it got up to turn on the ignition before I turned it off...(never tuning my car..) question is if it was married to another car, it would not even read DTC on my car correct? and also would it not tell me it could not program my car before even getting to the turn your ignition on Part? unfortuntaly I do not have the USB cable to hook up (by the way where can you buy one of those, Circuit city? best Buy? ) anyways..is there a chance that it is not married to the other vehicle and its unlocked...is there anyway to be 100% sure that it is???(without using the tune in the tuner) thx all..TJ

myeleanor

Resident Shrink
Reaction score
you can read codes with or without it unlocked. When it first boots up, it will tell you if it locked to a vehicle or not. hold up, im gonna go run outside and get exact wording for you...

EDIT: if its locked it will say, "Current strategy (what octane gas) locked"

Last edited:

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you can read codes with or without it unlocked. When it first boots up, it will tell you if it locked to a vehicle or not. hold up, im gonna go run outside and get exact wording for you...

cool...yeah if you could let me know....when I plugged it into mine it booted up as normal and just showed the vendor name etc..

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is locked to my vehicle and it doesn't say "current strategy( tune ) locked"

The easiest way I know is to see if it will allow you to "return to stock". If it has someone's stock tune in it, you will have that option. If it does not have a stock tune in it, that means whatever car it came from was returned to stock before they got rid of it and now it can be used on another vehicle.

You can also tell by hooking it up to your PC and connecting to it with livelink.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
even if it is vin locked you can download liveload and erase the device and then you can have your own custom tunes put on it.

It also won't hurt to try and install a tune off of it and see if it lets you then return your car back to stock after

Kevin@PMP

Reaction score
Actually if the XCal is VIN locked and still has another vehicle programmed the only people that can unlock it is SCT. The unlock feature in Liveload is to finish the unlocking process to move the XCal to a new vehicle after the previous vehicle was returned to stock.

SCT can unlock the device for $150.

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Never flash a car with a tune for another vehicle unless you know for a fact it is for the same PCM code.

+1 ...that is for sure....bottom line..is there anyway to confirm if the tuner is married and locked to another car when hooking it up to another vehicle..when hooked up..it does not say anything about a tune 93 or otherwise....yet under program vehicle it does have the option custom tune and return to stock...anyone

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
+1 ...that is for sure....bottom line..is there anyway to confirm if the tuner is married and locked to another car when hooking it up to another vehicle..when hooked up..it does not say anything about a tune 93 or otherwise....yet under program vehicle it does have the option custom tune and return to stock...anyone
I can't answer your original question, but when I switched from SCT to Predator recently, Adam unlocked my X2 so I could sell it. When I plugged it back into my car, it still showed the custom tunes, as well as return to stock as an option... even though it was unlocked.

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your original question, but when I switched from SCT to Predator recently, Adam unlocked my X2 so I could sell it. When I plugged it back into my car, it still showed the custom tunes, as well as return to stock as an option... even though it was unlocked.
thx Don....thats what I thought..I also thought that if the tuner was locked to another vehicle it would not even show any of the options at all...I wish someone could confirm this...I sent an email to Justin to see if he knows...thx again

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
its locked....just figured it out...it states the status as aftermarket..which means its married to another vehicle....thx

MexGT

forum member
Reaction score

any particular reason for switching?

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Send it to SCT they will unlock it for $150.
thx....thats what local tuner offered me to give me a new one using the locked one as trade in...thx allot though everyone...still not bad...SCT XCAL 2 for free : will end up being $150....not bad..thx all

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
any particular reason for switching?
Absolutely... my tuner (Adam at ST Motorsports) prefers the Diablo Predator over the SCT. The handheld is just a tool, there is no magic in it. He had previously tuned mine with the SCT, and felt he had more control with the Diablo software. So switching over was a no brainer for me. Between the price I paid for the Predator, and the price I sold the X2 for, the swap only cost me about 50 bucks.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back