2013 gt500 6 piston brembos

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
A $1000 for pads? That's crazy the 2 piece rotors are $1300 through ford racing Seems like the 6pot setup is expensive to maintain lol!!

No one said 1k for pads..... Reading comprehension owns you bro lol.

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts about this kit yet? I am about to place a order with late model restorations, but I don't know if I need the 15" 6 piston or if I should just stick with the 14" 4 piston setup that everyone had gone with for years. My car will be mostly street driven but it will see the strip, and a couple of autocross events at least 5 times a year. So if anyone has any advice as to which kit I should get will be greatly appreciated!!

For street and autocross the stock brakes will be fine, unless you "hot lap" the autocross. Increasing swept area (BIG brakes) won't increase your stopping power any farther beyond the tires' capabilities, which is the limiting factor that comes into play long, long before overheating. Overheating is best confronted by cooling ducts. Standard autocross - three or four runs with minutes between stresses - won't challenge the limits of stock brakes, which cost much less, weigh less, and work good for your usual autocross retardation needs. You can dick around with pads and whatnot, but that's mostly a "because-I-can" option, just like BIG brakes.

The only time I was able to fade the stock Mustang brakes was on a six-cylinder with GT wheels and tires, and it was after seven runs just five minutes apart. More modern GT brakes will last even longer before fading.

Spend your money on tires. When you reach the limit of the car's ability to lock up the wheels on the big, fat, R-Comp tires, then start looking at brakes.

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
Are the rear brake calipers different from the 07-09 GT500 rear calipers?
Not sure if I want to get the full kit or just the fronts

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Are the rear brake calipers different from the 07-09 GT500 rear calipers?
Not sure if I want to get the full kit or just the fronts

All you need for the rear "full kit" is a brace and the rotor, the caliper is the same as on the GT

Cobra Drifter

Carbon Driven™
Reaction score
So the brace is different as in positioning the caliper for the larger 14" rotor?

Is it the "anchor" plate your talking about right?

My rear GT500 calipers will be different vs the GT? I thought they were the same?

Attachments

• AnchorsandCalipers_zpsf5e51660.jpg
    AnchorsandCalipers_zpsf5e51660.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
AFAIK the rear calipers are the same on all mustangs from 05 to present. The part numbers may be different but I seriously doubt there's any noticeable difference. I've seen the 2015 rear rotors mounted without the new calipers and it fits just fine.

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
So the brace is different as in positioning the caliper for the larger 14" rotor?

Is it the "anchor" plate your talking about right?

The GT500 anchor plate and rotor are different, but caliper is the same. The GT500 rear brake hose is probably different too, but I'd be surprised if the stock hose didn't work.

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
The GT500 anchor plate and rotor are different, but caliper is the same. The GT500 rear brake hose is probably different too, but I'd be surprised if the stock hose didn't work.

The calipers ARE NOT THE SAME. Sorry guys, but they did change the caliper for this model. This is not a supersession. The radius on the caliper itself is different. If you install the GT rear calipers on the 13+ GT500 rear rotor and bracket, the calipers will hit the rotor.

In order to run the 2013+ GT500 rear brakes, you need the calipers, rotors, and brackets.

We've tested these sets and have extensive track time on each setup. They are unfortunately not interchangeable. It would make our life easier if they were.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The calipers ARE NOT THE SAME. Sorry guys, but they did change the caliper for this model. This is not a supersession. The radius on the caliper itself is different. If you install the GT rear calipers on the 13+ GT500 rear rotor and bracket, the calipers will hit the rotor.

In order to run the 2013+ GT500 rear brakes, you need the calipers, rotors, and brackets.

We've tested these sets and have extensive track time on each setup. They are unfortunately not interchangeable. It would make our life easier if they were.

Thanks for that- I thought they were identical.

Rehagen Racing

forum member
Reaction score
No problem. So did we when they first arrived before Daytona.
We tried to reuse our 2012 parts with the new rotor. The caliper clearly hit the rotor. Our 2012 kit used a PFC rotor and bracket with the 05-12 caliper.

steveespo

forum member
Reaction score
That is good to know, I just swapped the GT500 rotors onto my rear using the relocation brackets from the Baer 14" Eradispeed kit. (got tired of cracking $225 rotor rings) The stock caliper fits and with the small 3/32" of rotor that the pad does not sweep I think its all good. I plan on filing the ears on a set of old pads to let it ride lower so the full pads gets swept.
Steve

zeroescape

forum member
Reaction score
That is good to know, I just swapped the GT500 rotors onto my rear using the relocation brackets from the Baer 14" Eradispeed kit. (got tired of cracking $225 rotor rings) The stock caliper fits and with the small 3/32" of rotor that the pad does not sweep I think its all good. I plan on filing the ears on a set of old pads to let it ride lower so the full pads gets swept.
Steve

Are you saying you were cracking the rotor ring of Baer Eradispeed Kit? Slotted or Drilled?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score

Damn, I hate it when I have to contradict anyone, as we've bought stuff from you guys and respect what you've done in Pro racing. I also don't want to come across as combative, but... .this doesn't jive with two GT500 rear rotor installs we've done on '11-up Mustang GTs. Edit: I just read back several posts and it looks like you guys were talking about 2005-2009 GTs? I don't know much about those early S197s - just commenting on 2011-up 5.0 cars (which is more of what we see at our shop).

_DSF3723-M.jpg

13.77" GT500 rear rotor, caliper and caliper brackets on our 2011 Mustang GT

In the last month we've installed the 2013-14 Mustang GT500 13.77" rear brakes on two S197 cars now: a 2012 GT and my 2011 GT TT3 car, both of which came with the Brembo 14" fronts. On my 2011 GT we ordered everything from our favorite Ford dealer to match the 2013 GT500's rear brake set-up: the new calipers, rotors, caliper mounting brackets and hardware. This is shown below...

_DSC9954-M.jpg

On the 2012 GT the customer brought us the GT500 caliper bracket and rotors only, also purchased from a Ford dealer. We re-used his OEM caliper. This is shown below...

_DSC9952-M.jpg

As you can see in the picture below (click it for a GIANT version), the caliper assembly is nowhere near the OEM GT500 rear 13.77" rotor hat. I can stick my finger between the lowest part of the caliper and the rear rotor hat. What am I missing here?

The part number cast into the bridge of the slider on the 2013 GT500 rear caliper we purchased new from Ford was K3611. That's the same number cast on both my original 2011 GT rear caliper and the 2012 GT's rear caliper. So, from what we've seen, it uses the exact same caliper and brake pad. We just called our Ford dealership parts guru and he verified this - it has been superseded. There was some part number confusion on the '11-14 GTs' rear caliper without the Brembo front brakes, and I don't have my 2013 GT (which came with the base GT brakes, 13.2" twin piston sliding fronts) here at the shop today to verify. I will check it tonight. But we swapped in old rear pads on the 2013 from our stash of used stuff from our 2011, and it all worked flawlessly on track with this '13 GT. So I suspect the rear calipers and pads are exactly the same. A quick search of several online retail and wholesale parts resellers showed us that all 2011-2014 Mustang GT and '13-14 GT500 have the same replacement calipers, too.

_DSC_8572-M.jpg

We've run my 2011 GT with the GT500 rear caliper/rotor/bracket set-up at two track weekends so far without any issue. The 2012 GT has been driven many times with the GT500 rear caliper bracket/rotor only, also without issue. No clearance issues from the caliper to the larger rear rotor, and the brake pad had the same swept contact on both. So, I'm confused...

Where was it hitting? Can you share some pictures of that? Again, if you were talking about early S197 GT calipers, I admit you could be spot on.

Other things to note from the GT500 rear (only) rotor and caliper bracket swap on 2011-12 cars:

1. The original rear brake flex line works fine on the GT500 caliper. Because... it is the same caliper as far as we can tell, just moved outboard about an inch.
2. The brake balance feels unchanged, using the 14" Brembo fronts. I tracked this 2011 GT at the two most "brake intensive" tracks in Texas/Oklahoma (Hallett and ECR) and the car stopped better than ever (don't have data to show yet, other than lap times). No weird lock-ups, no issues, just what felt like more heat capacity.
3. The rear caliper on the '11-14 GT's normally have an secondary, angled bracket to support the main caliper bracket to the axle housing, as equipped on the GT's 11.5" rear rotor. This clamps to the axle tube and gives the caliper bracket some extra lateral support. The old bracket doesn't fit with the GT500's farther out caliper location, and supposedly "isn't used" on the GT500. We couldn't find a part number for a replacement. As soon as I can lay my hands on a '13-14 GT500 we will double check to see if these indeed have no secondary bracket.

Note: I reserve the right to change this post if there is contradictory evidence provided with pictures/proof. We've driven both cars and haven't seen an issue, and I raced the 2011 twice so far, but that isn't 100% definitive. I will be the first to admit that I am not always right. Your results may vary. Do not ingest GT500 rear calipers. Side effects could include dry mouth, headaches, erratic heart beat, and anal leakage.

Cheers,

Last edited:

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Again, if you were talking about early S197 GT calipers, I admit you could be spot on.

...anal leakage. [/I]

Cheers,

Hmm...now we need somebody to compare pre 2011 GT calipers with newer ones. I didn't think you guys had changed calipers but I wasn't sure.

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Of course you quote the side effects of eating GT500 calipers, Mark. :p

Hmm...now we need somebody to compare pre 2011 GT calipers with newer ones. I didn't think you guys had changed calipers but I wasn't sure.

Yea, I'm trying to locate a 2005-2009 GT to compare. We used to have two in this same commercial complex but they seem to have been sold off. I'm going to go out hunting for a 2005-09 GT and shoot some pics with my GS4 phone camera.

Looking at one of our mega-sized wholesale parts databases, I show the same part number for the left rear caliper on 2005 Mustang GT, a 2011 GT and a 2013 GT500. That's just one set of data, of course, and is not definitive...

And yes, on my 2011 GT we DID change to the GT500 rear calipers, but... we found that didn't need to for fitment. It was just a case that the 3 year old stock rear calipers looked a bit tired after 70+ rotor/pad swaps and many hundreds of brutal laps on track. The dust seals were crusty and burned, threaded holes were getting a bit sloppy. So we just kept the new "GT500" rears we ordered, just to freshen up the old stuff. Identical to the 2011 GT calipers we pulled off.

_DSC9956-M.jpg
DSC_5515-M.jpg

The 14" rear brakes don't look as puny inside the OEM 19" wheels (left) as the OEM 11.5" rears do (right). It isn't much for bling, of course, but it does have more potential braking torque

On the 2012 GT 14" rear swap (above left) we just kept his OEM calipers. They look identical - I spent 15 minutes looking at them both up close today, as they were parked side by side right outside my office all day (the customer's 2012 GT is back at Vorshlag, awaiting the install of 1-7/8" ARH full length headers).

Again, I'm not 100% sure on the 2005-09 GT stuff, but I'm relatively confident they are the same calipers as the '11-14 GT and '13-15 GT500. More soon. And I still could be wrong on that. And you still should NOT eat the GT500 rear calipers. Remember the leakage...

Cheers,

DRock

Reaction score
The part number cast into the bridge of the slider on the 2013 GT500 rear caliper we purchased new from Ford was K3611. That's the same number cast on both my original 2011 GT rear caliper and the 2012 GT's rear caliper. So, from what we've seen, it uses the exact same caliper and brake pad. We just called our Ford dealership parts guru and he verified this - it has been superseded. There was some part number confusion on the '11-14 GTs' rear caliper without the Brembo front brakes, and I don't have my 2013 GT (which came with the base GT brakes, 13.2" twin piston sliding fronts) here at the shop today to verify. I will check it tonight. But we swapped in old rear pads on the 2013 from our stash of used stuff from our 2011, and it all worked flawlessly on track with this '13 GT. So I suspect the rear calipers and pads are exactly the same. A quick search of several online retail and wholesale parts resellers showed us that all 2011-2014 Mustang GT and '13-14 GT500 have the same replacement calipers, too.

Ok so i just went out and grabbed my stock rear calipers off my 2009 GT/CS
Here are the #'s it had on it. I think this is where you were talking about

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Terry, I went out and checked my 09 GT, build date was mid 2008 IIRC, the only markings on the wheel side are FoMoCo markings but nothing else on the rear calipers from what I saw in a brief check. I didn't pull the caliper or look on the back side for any other markings.

I don't think they are the same rear caliper though. They look physically different.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back