What's the deal on yankee toll roads ?

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Alright so this redneck here from the South took a trip up North a few weeks ago on I-95 and passed through multiple toll booths. I am now getting all the citations from each state including 2 on the Delaware Memorial Bridge that is $57.25 for each bridge cross. I probably have $300 in tolls and all the driving was done on a federal interstate, I-95. We don't have that kind of crap down here.

What is going to happen to my Florida registration if I don't pay these. Maryland charges $50 per citation if not paid within 30 days. Ridiculous lol!

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Depends on your state. Most states are now on a federal network. These states honor each other on issues like this. They can refuse renewal of license and/or registration. Example of how far back this can go? A LONG FREAKING WAY! I lived in Tennessee in 1984. Got a ticket there. Paid it. I soon after moved back home. I had TN DL at the time, but stupidly never forwarded my mail properly. I later found out my license was suspended in TN. Got it straightened out and renewed my license in my home state. No problem....or so I thought.

Flash forward 24 years to 2008. I go to renew my current license. The lady does a check and tells me I have a hold on renewal because of an issue in Rutherford County, TN. That's all she can tell me. She gives me a number to call who tells me to call Rutherford County Court house. I google Rutherford County and see Murfreesboro, TN adn that ticket in 1984 comes rushing back. So I call them. The woman tells me she has to go to the basement into a file cabinet to get the history on it. she is laughing because like me she can't believe this. She calls me back 2 hours later and explains that I owed them a reinstatement fee that was never paid. Keeping the story short as possible I asked about statute of limitations. She stated that that would apply if this were a fine, but it was a renewal fee and that I would have to contact the state of TN Dept of Transportation to clear it up. I call them and find that over 24 years the $25 reinstatement fee with interest and late fees was currently $297.00 and that they accept all major credit cars. Needless to say I paid the fee, received the release of hold letter in the mail, and got my license renewed. I came to find out that Tennessee had just gone on some federal network sharing interstate information like this in 2007 that most other states were already on.

Yes you will likely end up having a hold on registration or your license renewal if you don't pay them out and interest can build up along with late fees.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Alright so this redneck here from the South took a trip up North a few weeks ago on I-95 and passed through multiple toll booths. I am now getting all the citations from each state including 2 on the Delaware Memorial Bridge that is $57.25 for each bridge cross. I probably have $300 in tolls and all the driving was done on a federal interstate, I-95. We don't have that kind of crap down here.

What is going to happen to my Florida registration if I don't pay these. Maryland charges $50 per citation if not paid within 30 days. Ridiculous lol!

Why didn't you just pay the tolls?

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue when I flew i to Philly laat year, rented a car and went through a toll, there was not an attendant working the toll, I recieved a citation a few months later, I just paid it so I wouldn't have any future aggravation.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Call them and tell them you're from out of state and they may waive any tickets and allow you to just pay the toll + an admin fee. Before I was a Florida resident I racked up some tolls on my MI plate and they just sent me a bill. I paid them and they haven't come up again.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Haha love it. I am with you, being from the florida up to NC area my self. When I first had to start traveling further up the coast, thought it was ridiculous even took routes to avoid almost all the tolls but in the end wasn't worth it due to couple hour longer trip and more gas. I was driving form CT and maine down to Virginia a lot for work and tolls were crazy always had to get cash before the trips, then jumped on an ezpass when they came out. Automatically pays the tolls when you drive through and much cheaper than paying at the toll or after the fact. Its sad that its about the same cost to hop a one way flight and get a rental, than the cost of gas and tolls driving your own car.

Last edited:

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Dude wait, so you just saw the toll booths and decided to roll straight through the "fast pass" lanes instead of stopping to pay the tolls like everyone else was and now are wondering whether you really have to pay them? what?

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Dude wait, so you just saw the toll booths and decided to roll straight through the "fast pass" lanes instead of stopping to pay the tolls like everyone else was and now are wondering whether you really have to pay them? what?

LOL pretty much. I mean shit there were like 30 toll booths. I guess I'll just go ahead and pay them all. I don't want to worry about revoking license/registration or reporting on my credit. I mean we have the Florida turnpike here and I have a Sun Pass, but I expect to pay rolls on that road, not on I-95 though.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Yeah...

:facepalm:

facepalm.jpg

giphy.gif

1307559619452.jpg

46addict

Reaction score
I know S Florida has a toll by plate system where they just take pics of plates on cars that go through and send a bill in the mail. Maybe that's what you were used to. It doesn't work like that up north lol, but they need to take notes.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Now I go on to EZPassNJ.com to pay the violations and search but it can't find my violations. This is BS.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Awe come one aren't ya'll the least bit upset about having to pay tolls on an interstate highway for which your gas purchases and taxes already pay for!?
Sure. But what you did accomplishes what? Holy fuck some people are stupid.

mavisky

forum member
Reaction score
Am I bothered by tolls? Yes

Do I realize that I have a legal responsibility to pay them if they exist? Also yes.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't like most of the speed limits either but that doesn't mean I can expect to roll down the highway at 90mph and not get ticketed.

You will now end up paying several times the amount that you would have paid if you just stopped and paid the normal way. Plus any time you saved on the highway will now be wasted online trying to figure out how to pay or on the phone talking to some disgruntled DOT employee who has to deal with crap everyday.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, do you not have any kind of a toll tag in your vehicle? Or are you just used to getting billed in you state and are suprised by the costs up north?

Last edited:
Back