I hate this damn car.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Today I decided to use it to pick up my daughter from a friend's house.

Started nice, let it warm for a couple of mins and when I went to move it... pam pam pam PLUM PLUM PLUM!!!! heavily in the engine.

Shutted it down quick, took the DD and grabbed a toolbox on my way back.

Here is what I've found:

phaser1.jpg

phaser2.jpg

Debris in the valve cover:

phaser3.jpg

Other side looks good still:

phaser4.jpg

I am so sick of this car giving me troubles, these phasers were torqued to Paschal's spec with loctite.

Plan is:

- scope inside for damage and clean as possible, if everything looks ok?
- Ford phasers with lockouts.
- try to align the broken phaser at zero to mark a link for the swap.
- run it and change oil and filter
- may have to take the k-member out soon for mods and remove the pan and clean some more.

Will try to go ahead with this without having to remove the whole thing out, won't even take the front cover off, I am so tired of this damn car that if I would need to take the engine out I may take one stock longblock I have at the shop, demod it and off it goes.

Only hoping that the PTV contact was not as hard that damaged a valve(s), these heads have only 200miles on them, this is the third set, first ones (livernois stage2)melted from a lubrication issue, took the motor with them, second set (livernois stage3) came with defective guides from them, these ones are FRPP CNC base ones with stock valves.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That sucks Lito. What would cause that to happen?

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Well crap!!! I guess that seals my decision when I do cams to not use degreeable cam gears and only do the trick flow crank gear.

Sorry to see more troubles and I hope it's not too bad.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Ouch, those bolts didn't hold that cam sprocket in place, when did you get that put in?
Don't be so hard on the car, it's awesome, parts go wrong sometimes.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OUch! So did the plate actualy come loose and start knocking back and forth? Looks like the bolt heads dug grooves in the plate.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
That sucks Lito. What would cause that to happen?

I really think it is a design thing, 4 retaining bolts are too small for the tension the have to keep.

Well crap!!! I guess that seals my decision when I do cams to not use degreeable cam gears and only do the trick flow crank gear.

Sorry to see more troubles and I hope it's not too bad.

Some times I think that the car is telling me something, I am not superstitious at all but c'mon! is like it does not want me to drive it or else, I have 2.5 years of only pouring money into it and or either the parts I receive are crap or it breaks in the most mysterious ways. Everything that could go bad, happens in this f*****g car!

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
When I was thinking of degreeing my cams you were the one who told me to use the trick flow crank setup. What possesed you to go with the adjustable cam gear?

I hope nothing else was damaged. Do you still have your original phasers?

TurboX

Formally Buzz Lightyear
Reaction score
I can only hope the BBR adjusters are better. Tommy@JPC warned me of this exact thing, based on his recommendation is why I got the BBRs.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I really think it is a design thing, 4 retaining bolts are too small for the tension the have to keep.

I would have put those things back on the shelf for just that thought, go with your gut! :mad2:

lito

forum member
Reaction score
When I was thinking of degreeing my cams you were the one who told me to use the trick flow crank setup. What possesed you to go with the adjustable cam gear?

I hope nothing else was damaged. Do you still have your original phasers?

I studied all the options first, including the TFS's, and ordered these, once I got them degreed and thought that the TFS option was still the best (and cheaper too btw) so if I was to do it again, I would use TFS. Now I will just drop the phasers without degreeing.

My original phasers got all marked and slightly damaged when the first engine went so I discarded them. I already ordered new ones locally as they are cheaper than in the US.

I would have put those things back on the shelf for just that thought, go with your gut! :mad2:
Too late for that, what worries me is that I am not the only car with those down here.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
Some times I think that the car is telling me something, I am not superstitious at all but c'mon! is like it does not want me to drive it or else, I have 2.5 years of only pouring money into it and or either the parts I receive are crap or it breaks in the most mysterious ways. Everything that could go bad, happens in this f*****g car!

i felt that way about my car last year...i don't anymore but i decided to keep the car to a basic bolt on toy w/ suspension. less likely to have issues on a basic setup and thats why i did it, plus it's my DD

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
WOW!!! Sorry to see the troubles on your car again.

I am really sorry to see this. I was going to use a set of those gears when I do my 127550 cam swap after the car is tuned and off dynoed on the current cams with the Trick Flow crank gear. I guess I will plan on reusing the Trick Flow gear with the new cams.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Today I decided to use it to pick up my daughter from a friend's house.

Started nice, let it warm for a couple of mins and when I went to move it... pam pam pam PLUM PLUM PLUM!!!! heavily in the engine.

Shutted it down quick, took the DD and grabbed a toolbox on my way back.

Here is what I've found:

phaser1.jpg

phaser2.jpg

Debris in the valve cover:

phaser3.jpg

Other side looks good still:

phaser4.jpg

I am so sick of this car giving me troubles, these phasers were torqued to Paschal's spec with loctite.

Plan is:

- scope inside for damage and clean as possible, if everything looks ok?
- Ford phasers with lockouts.
- try to align the broken phaser at zero to mark a link for the swap.
- run it and change oil and filter
- may have to take the k-member out soon for mods and remove the pan and clean some more.

Will try to go ahead with this without having to remove the whole thing out, won't even take the front cover off, I am so tired of this damn car that if I would need to take the engine out I may take one stock longblock I have at the shop, demod it and off it goes.

Only hoping that the PTV contact was not as hard that damaged a valve(s), these heads have only 200miles on them, this is the third set, first ones (livernois stage2)melted from a lubrication issue, took the motor with them, second set (livernois stage3) came with defective guides from them, these ones are FRPP CNC base ones with stock valves.

This is exactly why Paschal Performance no longer manufactures or sells these gears. Clifford and I were discussing using them in my engine and he recommended to just lock the cams out and use crank gears and shims to degree. Sorry to see this happen. Did the valves and pistons hit and if so did you bend valves?

lito

forum member
Reaction score
WOW!!! Sorry to see the troubles on your car again.

I am really sorry to see this. I was going to use a set of those gears when I do my 127550 cam swap after the car is tuned and off dynoed on the current cams with the Trick Flow crank gear. I guess I will plan on reusing the Trick Flow gear with the new cams.

I think is the best bet, are you planning on degreeing it with the engine in the car?

This is exactly why Paschal Performance no longer manufactures or sells these gears. Clifford and I were discussing using them in my engine and he recommended to just lock the cams out and use crank gears and shims to degree. Sorry to see this happen. Did the valves and pistons hit and if so did you bend valves?

Car is in the parking lot of my apartment building that is underground so is very complicated to get it towed s it sits, I will just drop the locked phasers there and move it to the shop, then do the tests there.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back