08-10 F250 6.4 powerstroke, anyone?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The dodges don't ride near as nice as the fords but they can pull mount rushmore

I haven't pulled with a Dodge, but I can say the 6.4 impressed me when I pulled my 5th wheel camper out to Virginia. I pulled a 38' camper that weighs 17k empty and 20k loaded and only lost about 10-12 mph going up some pretty good grades in West VA. For the most part, I would stay at the speed limit or above, the only downfall was the 7 miles per gallon.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The dodges don't ride near as nice as the fords but they can pull mount rushmore

Uh, I have driven both and they basically have the same suspension (coiled front) and running gear. I don't see a difference but if you want a smooth riding truck, get a Duramax.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
Natural1 said:
Uh, I have driven both and they basically have the same suspension (coiled front) and running gear. I don't see a difference but if you want a smooth riding truck, get a Duramax.

I should add it was a 3500 but the fords to me are not as stiff if that makes any since every time I ride in the dodge it feels like the suspention has no travel

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
no expierence with the strokes, but the duramax's are impressive trucks.

that being said, i guess the 6.4 is a good motor.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

spedly

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy has one with a spartan tune, straight piped, egr delete, and afe intake. The truck hauls ass for how heavy it is and being on 35" tires. Here is an old video. Don't mind the commentary that was one of my other stupid friends.

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
well i should be getting a 6.4 on monday or tuesday

i have one question tho i want to get a alpine INA-W900 head unit and a back up cam. but i dont know how to tell if it will fit in the truck.

any ideas i tried to use the best buy fitment thing but it is a POS

and i know nothing about radios so im kinda at a loss now

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
Spartan 250 tune is the safest without a TCM upgrade. Do the DPF delete kit, and get an airaid cai. Get the SCT Livewire and have spartan write you some tunes.

The trucks set up like this will run 13.80's all day.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I'm a diehard ford guy, but chevy's duramax is a very good motor. Great power and mpg. I have a 03 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 and it still gets 20mpg on the highway with 280,000 miles on it. I had a 05 with the 6.0 in it and it was an okay motor but not dependable at all. The 6.4 is not proven and ford has already ditched it to build the 6.7 in house now, which from what i've seen is an amazing motor! I'd love to have the new 6.7, but the problem is that it's new and no one knows how it will hold up. I'd say get something old enough to have the 7.3 or get a duramax if you want new. As for mods, i'm about to redo my X. I got rid of my 08 f150 because I was sick of the payments and would rather have a diesel again, but my X needs a few things that I just ordered. I bought a 4 inch lift, 35 Toyo M/T's, 18" XD Diesel wheels in chrome, powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk LTS pads, Banks CAI, Edge Evolution CTS programmer, and magnaflow exhaust. I'll get some pics when it's done.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringin' this thread back, I got tired of my truck going into regen every 50-60 miles so I ordered a Spartan tuner, delete pipe, and S&B cold air intake. It should really wake the truck up with a 210hp towing tune and get better mileage not dumping fuel into the exhaust.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to let you guys know that I shouldn't have waited, the truck pulls hard with these mods. I don't recommend the S&B intake, the hose clamps are junk and the rubber reducer for the turbo inlet doesn't fit the greatest. When I was relearning the TCM, it was trying to spin the tires with it in four high.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How is this different than what we do with our mustangs?

Edit: I just thought I would point out that the reason I did this is because being bone stock I can't get my dealership to fix any fucking thing, all they are worried about is changing my oil which doesn't need it. It regens every 50-60 miles but they say nothing is wrong with it, the trans has a leak that they couldn't find so they put dye in it. Take it back and they tell me that it is overfull and the oil is coming out the breather. Funny thing is, I was almost a 1000 miles away from home when it started leaking, had oil all over the truck all the way to the bumper. I checked it and it then and it was a 1/2" low when checked hot as you are suppose to but now it's all of a sudden overfull and it "came from the factory that way". I know I lost more oil than that since I drove it the rest of the way home.

Last edited:

pieperz06

i need to get blown
Reaction score
I got a 6.4 a few months ago and once you get rid of the Regen it is a great truck. My truck with only about 6k miles was regening all the time. But not any more:).....

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How is this different than what we do with our mustangs?

Edit: I just thought I would point out that the reason I did this is because being bone stock I can't get my dealership to fix any fucking thing, all they are worried about is changing my oil which doesn't need it. It regens every 50-60 miles but they say nothing is wrong with it, the trans has a leak that they couldn't find so they put dye in it. Take it back and they tell me that it is overfull and the oil is coming out the breather. Funny thing is, I was almost a 1000 miles away from home when it started leaking, had oil all over the truck all the way to the bumper. I checked it and it then and it was a 1/2" low when checked hot as you are suppose to but now it's all of a sudden overfull and it "came from the factory that way". I know I lost more oil than that since I drove it the rest of the way home.

About 40K...

Parts much more... price some 6.4 injectors ;)

edit:
Yup, dealerships NOT worth going to with a mustang... best to DIY with Mustang. That f250 6.4 is nothing I wanna get near; much less into!!

Last edited:

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got a 6.4 a few months ago and once you get rid of the Regen it is a great truck. My truck with only about 6k miles was regening all the time. But not any more:).....

I was going to do it with about 1000 miles on the truck but wasn't quite ready to void the warranty lol.

About 40K...

Parts much more... price some 6.4 injectors ;)

edit:
Yup, dealerships NOT worth going to with a mustang... best to DIY with Mustang. That f250 6.4 is nothing I wanna get near; much less into!!

$40k differnce, have you seen the price on the new 5.0s? I agree they are pretty involved and odds are, I don't be doing a lot of the work. If things go good this year, I will have a Suncoast trans in it and probably have a shop do a cab off. I want to do the egr delete with a wastegate, headstuds, and a few other parts. I'm not doing this for just the power, I want to get rid of the emmisions since that is a big factor in why the newer trucks have to be worked on.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
I'm a diehard ford guy, but chevy's duramax is a very good motor. Great power and mpg. I have a 03 Ford Excursion with the 7.3 and it still gets 20mpg on the highway with 280,000 miles on it. I had a 05 with the 6.0 in it and it was an okay motor but not dependable at all. The 6.4 is not proven and ford has already ditched it to build the 6.7 in house now, which from what i've seen is an amazing motor! I'd love to have the new 6.7, but the problem is that it's new and no one knows how it will hold up. I'd say get something old enough to have the 7.3 or get a duramax if you want new. As for mods, i'm about to redo my X. I got rid of my 08 f150 because I was sick of the payments and would rather have a diesel again, but my X needs a few things that I just ordered. I bought a 4 inch lift, 35 Toyo M/T's, 18" XD Diesel wheels in chrome, powerslot cryo rotors, Hawk LTS pads, Banks CAI, Edge Evolution CTS programmer, and magnaflow exhaust. I'll get some pics when it's done.

I know this is old, but I'm a fan of the 7.3 also. Ford couldn't get it to meet EPA requirements so went to the 6.0, which had it's share of problems, then the 6.4. But damn I loved the 7.3 PSD, great motor. Early F350 with a PSD, I'm in heaven. Better looking too.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's very hard to beat the old 7.3, I looked for low mileage ones before I broke down and bought a new truck. I found one with just a little over 40k miles but it was a longbed and I wanted a short bed.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back