2009 GT500 basic mods

proxemics

forum member
Reaction score
what are the best bang for the bucket mods?
I don't want to go crazy with mods just the basic stuff that make the car perform better

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
Decide how much power you want to make first. Pulley/tune/CAI combo will run you around $1000-$1300. That will make around 510-520 RWHP on a stock car. If you want to make around 600rwhp just bypass all the rest and buy a blower. The beauty of these cars is the drivability with insane power. I am getting ready to upgrade blower/TB/injectors and hope to make between 660-700rwhp, and it will drive like a totally stock vehicle until the gas goes to the floor.

gtcs07

Im just kinda here
Reaction score
With 725 rwhp mine is more tame than my 500 hp gt ever was. Like these guys said decide on what you want and go for it dont waste time porting and pulleying if your gonna want more. Oh and dont know if your interested but ive got a basically brand new c& l cai for 07-09 gt500 ill be posting for sale this week

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I don't want to go crazy with mods just the basic stuff that make the car perform better

Pulley/CAI/Tune for horsepower.

Suspension mods and BETTER TIRES for more traction.

My dad has an 09 GT500 with the typical bolts ons, so even though I don't own a GT500, I always pay attention when I see threads about GT500s. One of the funniest phenomenon I've noticed about the GT500s is that people are convinced that GT500s spontaneously combust at 40° or less.

Okay, maybe not that they spontaneously combust... but people do act like the GT500s become completely uncontrollable in cool whether on the factory goodyears. I just laugh.

I think the real problem here is just because a person can AFFORD a GT500, that doesn't mean they have any business behind the wheel of one! It's like a Suzuki GSXR1000. Just about all of us can afford one, but not everyone can handle one.

I drove my dad's Shelby on Thanksgiving break last year, and it was about 40° and overcast. It was a little drift machine, no doubt. But it wasn't unsafe.

I think the biggest limitation to the common bolt on GT500 is TRACTION. I'd consider good struts/shocks/springs/control arms and TIRES to be absolutely essential.

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score

1st you have to decide what you want. Do you want a drag car, a car that handles really well, or a little of both? This is very important as my experience with people with these cars spend more $ redoing things because they don't have a plan and just start doing stuff to their cars. My advice is don't spend a dime until you read many threads on this and other forums, talk to a couple Mustang shops in your area, go to you local drag strip and closest road course track event and talk to all of the GT-500 people there. Listen to what they did, undid and redid. Listen to what worked and what they liked the most and why.

Once you do all that, put your long term plan and budget together. Go to the shop you chose to do the work and get started. You will need to prioritize what order you do things, based on your budget. With your plan, all the components should be picked to work together and you will save on taking parts off to work with things that you didn't plan on.

You will be happy, your bank account will be happy and you will have a really nice car that you will be proud of how you put it together. I know lots of people who gave up, or were discouraged by the spending on their cars to get them to be what they wanted when they started.

Make a good plan!

BJ

proxemics

forum member
Reaction score

My dad has an 09 GT500 with the typical bolts ons, so even though I don't own a GT500, I always pay attention when I see threads about GT500s. One of the funniest phenomenon I've noticed about the GT500s is that people are convinced that GT500s spontaneously combust at 40° or less.

Okay, maybe not that they spontaneously combust... but people do act like the GT500s become completely uncontrollable in cool whether on the factory goodyears. I just laugh.

I think the real problem here is just because a person can AFFORD a GT500, that doesn't mean they have any business behind the wheel of one! It's like a Suzuki GSXR1000. Just about all of us can afford one, but not everyone can handle one.

I drove my dad's Shelby on Thanksgiving break last year, and it was about 40° and overcast. It was a little drift machine, no doubt. But it wasn't unsafe.

I think the biggest limitation to the common bolt on GT500 is TRACTION. I'd consider good struts/shocks/springs/control arms and TIRES to be absolutely essential.

Don't worry about traction I can handle it.

proxemics

forum member
Reaction score
1st you have to decide what you want. Do you want a drag car, a car that handles really well, or a little of both? This is very important as my experience with people with these cars spend more $ redoing things because they don't have a plan and just start doing stuff to their cars. My advice is don't spend a dime until you read many threads on this and other forums, talk to a couple Mustang shops in your area, go to you local drag strip and closest road course track event and talk to all of the GT-500 people there. Listen to what they did, undid and redid. Listen to what worked and what they liked the most and why.

Once you do all that, put your long term plan and budget together. Go to the shop you chose to do the work and get started. You will need to prioritize what order you do things, based on your budget. With your plan, all the components should be picked to work together and you will save on taking parts off to work with things that you didn't plan on.

You will be happy, your bank account will be happy and you will have a really nice car that you will be proud of how you put it together. I know lots of people who gave up, or were discouraged by the spending on their cars to get them to be what they wanted when they started.

Make a good plan!

BJ

I have a drag car I don't need another one.
The plan for now will be Pulley, cai, tune, exhaust. I need to decided which company for each now.
any ideas?

knownukes

forum member
Reaction score
I have a drag car I don't need another one.
The plan for now will be Pulley, cai, tune, exhaust. I need to decided which company for each now.
any ideas?

Where are you located? I would give Van Collier of Revan Racing a call. He is very knowledgable of the GT-500. He is the guy that built the GT-500(motor and chassis) that went 200mph at the Texas mile. He is also an experienced road racer and can help with suspension set up. I trust him and many people in the GT-500 community know him and use his advice. He has a partership with Jon Lund, who is a grerat tuner. They do alot of remote tuning using SCT tuners. Anyway, he is a good guy to talk to. He can be reached at 561-445-7702.

BJ

Btw, I have an 08 GT-500 that has been Super Snaked. It has the 2.8LC Kenne Bell S/C has been dyno'd at 700.4 rwhp. Has the full GRIGGS suspension among other things. I am a road racer and do many track events. I love my car. I spent alot of time thinking about what I wanted and to date, I have not had to redo anything. I have winter mods to do to get weight outta the front end, and to install an accu-sump to protect the main bearings. It's also time for full race seats. I am currently running a harness with the stock seats. It is MUCH better that a regular seat belt, but it will be even better with a proper seat. As you know, the list will never end..........

proxemics

forum member
Reaction score
I'm overseas
Sounds like you are having a blast with you GT500. good luck with it

CobraLife07

forum member
Reaction score
VMP tuning tuned mine before I bought it.
Its making 551.86 RWHP and 536RWTQ
All in 80 degree florida weather. Metco 2.6" Pulley/tune/JLT CF CAI

GT500Steve

Seriously Boosted
Reaction score
^^^^^ He's right, ya know. I started out happy with the Pulley/CAI/Tune combo, and couldn't have been happier. Then I bought O/R Exhaust and a 10% lower. I was fine with that for a while....

Now I just ordered a blower upgrade on Monday... it's like crack!! If you can resist the temptation, you are a better man than I!!

proxemics

forum member
Reaction score
^^^^^ He's right, ya know. I started out happy with the Pulley/CAI/Tune combo, and couldn't have been happier. Then I bought O/R Exhaust and a 10% lower. I was fine with that for a while....

Now I just ordered a blower upgrade on Monday... it's like crack!! If you can resist the temptation, you are a better man than I!!

I'll try my best

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Reaction score

I couldn't agree more. The key is to get rid of the factory rubber and to be more careful on summer tires when the ambient temps get around 32*F.

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Don't worry about traction I can handle it.

Even John Force would have problems getting traction on street tires when you up the power in a GT500. Not to mention horrible wheel hop. You are going to want to address the suspension and rear tire.

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Lower Control Arms, and some good shocks/struts

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back