2013 Boss 302 Cobra Jet install

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
I saw a gain on dyno from a 4.5" CAI to the Rev Auto 5" CAI. I also run the twin 65MM as per Lund's suggestion because of the dead spot on the mono-blade and the twin 65mm is plenty big enough for the engine and intake to flow even with my cams and longtubes.
With Rev Auto CAI and twin 65mm my car made over 470rwhp thru auto with 5,000 stall.
The gains of the larger CAI are only above 5K RPM. FYI there was a test in 5.0 or MM&FF of the PBH 4.5" VS the FRPP 4" and they gained power with the PBH 4.5" CAI.
I see exact same IAT's in Texas heat with the plastic CAI tube that I see now with my mild steel Rev Auto CAI.

One thing we learned in engine school was the was air bends in front of a t-body can make big effects on the power at the wheels. This is why a N/A car can gain from a larger tube because the bends don't effect the air-flow as much because it over-flows the needs and doesn't really get restriction from the bends.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
These Yoters are bad ass engines... 479 from an N/A setup? That is just super impressive... I'm ready to sell my junker for a down payment....

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I would just settle for the Boss INT/EXH CAMS!!

I had my Cobra Jet package installed by Mike and Ryne at Cunningham Motorsports.

I am 100% satisfied with the results

Here is a mod list on the car

New parts installed
Ford Racing Cobra Jet cams M-6550-M50BEXH and M-6550-M50BINT
Ford Racing Cobra Jet Manifold M-9424-M50CJ
Ford Racing Cobra Jet Throttle body M-9926-CJ65 (dual blade)
Ford Racing Cobra Jet CAI M-9603-M50CJ

Exhaust was already on the car before baseline
Bassani Xhaust long tube headers
Bassani Xhaust X Pipe with test pipe adaptors
Bassani Xhaust race catback

Ryne is an amazing tuner and he has the car running like a dream.

The baseline was 434RWHP and 354RWTQ on a Mustang Dyno The headers and full exhaust were installed before we got a baseline with out.

With the Cams, Manifold, Intake and TB the care made 473RWHP and 369RWTQ.

the car pulls very hard and sounds amazing. I was smiling ear to ear on my way home.

If you are looking to stay all motor I would highly suggest these mods.

Stay tuned for a full write up on www.stangtv.com for dyno videos and install tech.

You should have rec’d the following:

M-6550-M50BINT

These were the production intent boss intake cams, but were dropped from the program in favor of carry over GT cams. These have 13mm lift and 263 degrees duration vs 12mm and 260 for the GT parts.

M-6550-M50BEXH

These were designed for use with long tube headers and have 13mm lift and 290 degrees of duration. Stock boss parts have the same 13mm lift, but 263 degrees duration. The GT parts are 11mm with 263 degrees.

Sub'd and keeping this info on the cams.

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
The Boss and the GT share the exact same intake cam.

M-6550-M50BINT

These were the production intent boss intake cams, but were dropped from the program in favor of carry over GT cams. These have 13mm lift and 263 degrees duration vs 12mm and 260 for the GT parts.
M-6550-M50BEXH

These were designed for use with long tube headers and have 13mm lift and 290 degrees of duration. Stock boss parts have the same 13mm lift, but 263 degrees duration. The GT parts are 11mm with 263 degrees.

Curious as to what this means?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Those are CJ cams. The CJ has the intake cams they originally planned for the Boss but didn't use in production for emissions reasons.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

Roger that! :beer:

Rick, what are the cam specs on your Stage 3 cams vs these CJ cams here?

Do the GT heads have to be clearanced for the CJ INT cams?(pretty sure they do)

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I always wondered if the Boss 302 STB would clear the CJ Intake with slight mods. Now I have something else to add to my list >:D.

Roger that! :beer:

Building that pHP aren't we?

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score

Comp cams are similar on exhaust side but have more intake duration.
[email protected] int [email protected] exh
276 adv int 283 adv exh
Vs
263 adv int 290 adv exh

Sent from my iPhone 5S

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on this "dead spot"??? First I have heard of this.

There is a area where you don't have any velocity(stagnant flow) with all monoblades that's why they are intended for a blower or turbo where they have aided airflow to keep it from being as noticeable. On a N/A combo you will notice it. It can be tuned out some but not totally. This is not a issue with a twin blade due to airfoil in between the throttle blades.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all I asked was if he had some sort of proof for his theory.

tons of people have done these mods and gained noticeable power.

So for him to say he noticed ZERO gains i'm just curious.

I don't see anything wrong with my question.

Thank you for clearing that up.

When he said Gains I thought he meant power numbers.

I think WBT did not go with the cams, and as seen here it looks like you do need the cams to take advantage of what the intake and throttle body has to offer.

Comp cams are similar on exhaust side but have more intake duration.
[email protected] int [email protected] exh
276 adv int 283 adv exh
Vs
263 adv int 290 adv exh

Sent from my iPhone 5S

When comparing cams from different manufacturers, the ADV duration means very little. You need to look at duration @ .050

DRock

Reaction score
Looks great Mike!

He is in SoCal.

Not too many 1/4 mile offerings around

2013Boss302

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Derek.

I may go out to Fontana next time they have drag racing just to see what it does. It would be cool to have an 11 sec street car that is set up for Road Racing lol.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Derek.

I may go out to Fontana next time they have drag racing just to see what it does. It would be cool to have an 11 sec street car that is set up for Road Racing lol.

I go to Famoso and Fontana--all though I really don't race in the summer, too f'n hot. But in the fall I will be out at both tracks.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Well when he says 0 gains he's referring to track results which he tried for a number of months in his testing. Not dyno numbers. Brett could care less about dyno numbers.

Thank you for clearing that up.

When he said Gains I thought he meant power numbers.

+1. I have never put my car on a dyno. My testing was done at the track over a 5 month period. After it was all said and done, I sold the CJ intake and stuck the Boss intake back on as there were no gains with the CJ setup on my car. I tested a GT500 TB, the SCJ mono blade TB, FRPP CAI for the CJ intake, mated the Airaid Boss CAI to the CJ intake, and modified a 2010 Airaid CAI tube. Nothing there. I watched kdanner run the FRPP CAI on his car, swap it out for the full CJ 5" CAI and didn't see any real gains there either.

Basically a lot of time and money that I just didn't see any return on investment from.

I think WBT did not go with the cams, and as seen here it looks like you do need the cams to take advantage of what the intake and throttle body has to offer.

+1. My car is still a stock long block Coyote. I believe to achieve something out of the CJ setup one needs to swap out the exhaust cams.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rev Auto CAI is off, to make it fair how do you want it weighed? The whole thing or just the pipe minus the filter and shield?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back