2015 gained weight?

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
That isn't too bad compared to Steeda saying 300 lbs. or so. It is just under 100 lbs. even for the Manual GT model.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Things have changed quite a bit from the first weight rumors I read in August of 2013.

DEARBORN, Michigan — The redesigned 2015 Ford Mustang will be slightly smaller and several hundred pounds lighter when the car goes on sale next year, Edmunds has learned.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2015-ford-mustang-goes-on-a-diet.html

I didn't have any plans of getting rid of mine anyway, got it last Memorial Day and just turned a little over 1k miles. It still feels new to me lol. So I'm not butt hurt over it either way. But still glad it doesn't look like it is the 300lbs Steeda thought it would be, if i ever do get one.

Last edited:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
That's interesting that the Ecoboost has a .5gal smaller fuel tank.

Really? I find that very strange, what would drive them to create another another part number to make/inventory? I can't think of a space reason that the ecoboost would drive, and weight savings of half gallon at full can't make any measurable affect on mpg, all it does is slight decrease its range

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Still trying to determine why my car only weighed 3470 at the track when bone stock, glass roof and all.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

Last edited:

WOT

forum member
Reaction score
That isn't too bad compared to Steeda saying 300 lbs. or so. It is just under 100 lbs. even for the Manual GT model.

Actually, Steeda said anywhere 200-300lbs over the current model.
3704lbs is the weight for a base car. Do you think a fully option car wont be over 3800lbs or close to it?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
What we don't know is how the cars they are weighing are optioned out.
There is nothing indicating it's base model.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
I am so glad I kept my 06 Premium GT.. Its exactly how I want it, now to just build her up.. If the 2015 had dropped 2-300lbs that would be a pretty nice change.. As one already said it, any added weight is a disappointment.

WOT

forum member
Reaction score
What we don't know is how the cars they are weighing are optioned out.
There is nothing indicating it's base model.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I do know that the 14 BP GT is heavier than the 3614lbs standard curb weight Ford uses for the GT. Can the Base weight of the 15 with PP be heavier using this same logic? Sounds possible to me.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Getting heavier from factory but the cars are getting stiffer so need less aftermarket bracing weight. Also bigger and bigger brakes add weight.

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had my heart set on getting a new car, I bought my car new back in 2005 and I felt it was now time for me to upgrade, I even went ahead and sold lots of parts of my car to accumulate funds for a new car.
The news of the 15 gaining 300lbs really bums me out and now I'm think of keep my car and building it exactly how I've always imagine it.
My other option that I see is picking up a used yote.. The only thing stopping me from doing this, is that I hate the rear of 11-12 but love the front and vice versa for the 13-14 love the rear but hate the pig nose.

The good news for you, if you were to not get the s550, then you could swap the rear on a 11-12 or the front on a 13-14.

SD07GT

forum member
Reaction score
87 pounds for the base gt ....... the brembo pack with the 15' rotors and six pistons will come in more than 100 lbs

gregsdart

Reaction score
I would bet the main reasons for weight gain are handling/braking and IRS. With the computer design programs they have, you would think about the only thing left to gain chassis stiffness /braking/handling is to add material to the chassis. Light weight materials costs go up like normally aspirated horsepower costs. The curve gets mighty steep when you have used up most options already. I doubt Ford would leave any stone unturned in an effort to lighten the car within their cost budget. Now if they can come up with a cheap carbon fiber chassis,,,,,,,,,,,,

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back