2015 gt pp trans replacement already?

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
My '14 had the trans on the bench at 15k miles. Synchros and some other crap. It would grind going into second at wot, but every gear change was smooth as butter. One night it locked in 2nd gear with the shifter in neutral... I raised a big fuss that I wanted that trans fixed, and didn't want another trans for fear of it being a no shifting pos. Got it fixed, every gear is smooth and precise feeling. Now it just leaks trans fluid from every crevise, and Ford's customer care is a joke. Gotta go back to the same dealer (they had the car for 6 weeks), yadda yadda. I'm trying to get it into another dealer for a seal up job, and hopefully after that, it will be good. I'd hate to think if I had a backup camera, my sensor might get soaked in trans fluid, then i'd be out another 6 weeks for the invalids at the local ford house to figure that one out. I miss my old 3650 :/

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I have 33,000 miles on mine. Best manual tranission I've ever had. The only thing done was an input shaft and a bearing under a TSB for whining. I've had all the manuals that Ford has used in Mustangs and this is by far the best one. The clunk you hear on shifting is most likely the POS two piece drive shaft, not the transmission. A nice one piece is my next mod.

I think if people have trouble, that's what they don't like. Take me for example, I think the TR6060 is a steaming pile of dog turd of a transmission because I had a $50,000 car that wouldn't fucking shift into 2nd gear at WOT. Loved the engine, hated the transmission and don't ever want another car with that piece of shit in it. So, it's just all about experiences. I love my MT82. In case you can't tell by my custom title.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
I think a lot of people just repeat shit about the MT-82 that have never owned one or have no idea what they're talking about.

I bought my '11 Brembo GT new and hated the MT-82 soon after buying the car. Had problems, tried upgrading stuff, did the TSB, etc. I had lots of manual trans cars over the years (i.e. 6 of my 8 Mustangs were manuals), but the MT-82 takes the cake as the worst manual trans I've ever owned. It was the biggest reason I dumped that '11 GT and bought a '14 GT automatic. I absolutely love the 6R80 trans! Especially with a tune & stall.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I have 33,000 miles on mine. Best manual tranission I've ever had. The only thing done was an input shaft and a bearing under a TSB for whining. I've had all the manuals that Ford has used in Mustangs and this is by far the best one. The clunk you hear on shifting is most likely the POS two piece drive shaft, not the transmission. A nice one piece is my next mod.

I think if people have trouble, that's what they don't like. Take me for example, I think the TR6060 is a steaming pile of dog turd of a transmission because I had a $50,000 car that wouldn't fucking shift into 2nd gear at WOT. Loved the engine, hated the transmission and don't ever want another car with that piece of shit in it. So, it's just all about experiences. I love my MT82. In case you can't tell by my custom title.

I have a 1 piece driveshaft. While I had the driveshaft out I could turn the output shaft on the transmission by hand and reproduce the clunk inside.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
My 3650 had great gearing. First was nice and low without being too low. I hate the Getrag gearing. If the shifter pattern were reversed I would use 1,3 and 5 because it's easier to pull the shifter into gear rather than push it. I dislike having to shift so much, I'm in 5th gear by the time I'm going 45mph.

The T56 is nice but 1st is too tall. I will need 4.10 gears for optimal gearing with the Tremec.

Never buy a new jeep with a manual lol! I'm in 6th by the time I hit 35-40 mph.

I've had minimal problems with mine. It's loud sometimes, but it's never grinded upon WOT. Have experienced lockout a few times going into 1st, but I've learned to deal with it. I'd much rather deal with these issues than own an automatic though. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TGGT
That's quite an overstatement. I've never had issues with either of the two MT-82 Mustangs I've had. They are smooth, have the worst fucking gearing ever devised and are a lot more quite than the 05-10 manual transmission.

Fixed^^^

Quote:
Yes, they is some bad ones but one bad apple doesn't spoil the bunch. I think a lot of people just repeat shit about the MT-82 that have never owned one or have no idea what they're talking about.
I've owned two and driven a lot. They're garbage.:Chainsaw:
:Chainsaw:

And people want to see how fast a '15 can go with factory drivetrain? :whymewhyme:

claudermilk

Reaction score
My 3650 had great gearing. First was nice and low without being too low. I hate the Getrag gearing. If the shifter pattern were reversed I would use 1,3 and 5 because it's easier to pull the shifter into gear rather than push it. I dislike having to shift so much, I'm in 5th gear by the time I'm going 45mph.
I skip-shift 1-3-5 and it's not all that hard. I'm only skipping when putting around town, so it's low-speed, low-stress--plenty of time to get the U-turn in the gates done. Hell, with the torque of the engine (and the 3.73 gears helping), 2-4-6 is perfectly doable.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
2 of my buddies have had the MT-82 replaced in their S550's. Not an uncommon issue at all.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
I have a 1 piece driveshaft. While I had the driveshaft out I could turn the output shaft on the transmission by hand and reproduce the clunk inside.
Curious. Mine is 100% in the sloppy ass driveshaft. Trans is tight as a virgin.

cyclerick

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced my MT-82 as I hated the gear spread, missed shifts and the whine which was louder than my SC. The Tremec magnum works great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back