2015 Mustang GT gets a line lock as standard equipment!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
http://kinja.roadandtrack.com/the-2...ine-lock-as-standard-equ-1565168813/+ballaban

BUUUTTTTTTTT if you use it you void your warranty :roflmao: WTF FORD?

Not all the Mustang news this week came out of New York. At the Mustang 50 celebration in Charlotte tonight, chief engineer Dave Pericak announced that when the 2015 Mustang GT arrives this fall, it'll have electronic line lock standard as part of the track apps suite.

It's not as if the car's rear tires ever stood a chance, anyway. Kudos to the Mustang team for getting this one past legal.
Making the line lock part of track apps eliminates the need for weekend racers to physically modify the car for use at the drag strip. Once the rears are warmed up, you can then switch on launch control (also part of Track Aapps) to make your run.

It's worth noting that the 2014 Ford Warranty Guide singles out racing as an activity that will void warranty coverage, and Track Apps features are already designated "for off-road use only" in the 2014 car's owner's manual.

With line lock obviously designed for drag racing (yet begging to be used for epic burnout photo ops at the earliest possible opportunity), the one thing I wonder is whether this presents a possible minefield for owners, a la the GT-R launch-control issue.
Suppose a tech scans a car that's in for dealer service and can tell that line lock was used. Is that a thing that would potentially void the warranty because the feature is designed for track/racing use to begin with?
We'll pose that question to Ford this week.
How is this not entrapment? LOL

lito

forum member
Reaction score
GTs line lock official ford video

Almost no wheel hop, or at least that I could see. Looks good.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
And using it voids your warranty... :roflmao: aint that a bitch.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
true that!
But it's like hypocritical as hell for ford to do, along with the burnout posters at the dealerships.
Going to be funny when people go in for warranty work and tell them they've been burning out:roflmao:

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty damn cool, but I've heard mixed opinions on burning out to warm up street tires.

Also, I wonder if this will lead to Ford being a little more understanding when it comes to warranty work. Kind of like they have been with Bosses that have been tracked.

whitestang5

forum member
Reaction score
If you bring you car into ford for line lock inop concern does it mean they get
to do burnouts all day with it?

whitestang5

forum member
Reaction score
"Sorry, we were unable to recreate the issue. Also, you need new tires. And an oil change."

I know right, just like one day I would love to call roadside assistance from turn 9 at Laguna Seca if the car broke and not be charged for it. They need to slow these kinds of ads down if there not going to back it up.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I remember my first trip back to the dealership for an issue with 2nd gear grind in 2008.

I told the guy it grinds at 5000+ RPM when I go to shift, he says you shouldn't be shifting that high.
When I went out for a ride with him in the car, he doesn't go above 3000rpm and granny shifts the car.
"could not replicate concern" he told me if it ever stops going into gear come back and we'll take a look.
That's when i found a new dealership to work with...

Meanwhile the whole time we were talking at the counter I am staring at the poster of a mustang burning out on the wall behind him.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

did you read that somewhere? or is it a GTR related joke?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
when I busted my 3650 up at the track and took it to the dealer, the Service Mgr says "you have to stop racing that thing" I told him, tell Ford to stop advertising it that way!

he smiled saying it and chuckled at my reply.

they also rebuilt the trans with the Vortech on full display! :beer:

shame they closed down

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Remains to be seen, but here are some excerpts from the warranty book..
Page 6: "These implied warranties do not apply at all if you use your vehicle for business or commercial purposes. In addition, the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing."

Page 12: "WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY? ...misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source"

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
/\ yeah, seems that would cover their ass for warranty denial.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score

true that!
But it's like hypocritical as hell for ford to do, along with the burnout posters at the dealerships.
Going to be funny when people go in for warranty work and tell them they've been burning out:roflmao:

How is that ANY different than loading a tune?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Oh it's not, just that they add an entrapment feature this time.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I read that just racing your car voids the warranty.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back