2015 Mustang GT gets a line lock as standard equipment!

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Im searching over at C5 now lol. They all say Z/28 and ZL1 warranty covers track day use...maybe thats just creative wording

It sure isn't they are just wishful thinking without reading the fine print.
Check out this thread...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353289

"The New Vehicle Limited Warranty
does not cover damage caused as
the result of any of the following:
. Collision, fire, theft, freezing,
vandalism, riot, explosion,
or objects striking the vehicle
. Misuse of the vehicle such as
driving over curbs, overloading,
racing, or other competition.
Proper vehicle use is discussed
in the owner manual.

. Alteration, modification,
or tampering to the vehicle,
including, but not limited to the
body, chassis, powertrain,
driveline, software, or other
components after final assembly
by GM."

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah but Cam where I think the problem is, is when they present this as somethingthey are enticing you to use like hey we added it for you, but really only putting it in there to void warranties. There was literally no other reason to put this feature on there but to void warranties. Bad taste imo.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
The 13/14 GT500 is 200mph-ready - does that entice me to go out and try it?

They have "Track-apps" with a christmas tree - should I go out and set it up every-time I come to a stand-still?

My point is that this feature is obviously going to be used by many - it's really cool and we all love to hoon around and compete in our 'stangs. If Ford didn't provide this, many of us would still install an aftermarket one... what happens when that breaks our car? Do you think since Ford put one in, they should warranty all the broken bits and pieces from people beating these cars to a pulp?

Many are thinking that Ford has recently decided to set people up for failure with giving us something as destructive as a line-lock... I disagree. I think they've provided us with the same destructive tools for decades with powerful engines. We've never needed a line lock to act like a jackass and break shit on our cars.

Also this device is a marketing ploy and has obviously worked - literally everyone on the interwebs is going nuts.

Simply put: If you can't control yourself from using this option and don't want to accept the consequences then don't use it.

Last edited:

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Not comparing apples to apples...Every car on the road can do 100 mph plus but u can't because it's illegal! It's not illegal to use a line lock...they are saying hey look at this cool thing...go ahead press it....gotcha bitches. It would be like if shelby was advertising this 200 mph beast but ur warranty was void Iif you went over 65. I get it ur dad owns dealerships and u look at this from a different view...and I don't think a dealership should warranty any abuse or negligence on the owners part...but come on.

Last edited:

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah its pretty distasteful to offer something and say but if you use it kiss your warranty goodbye. Thats a selling point for them, why else would they put out the video? Why have it on the car factory? We get it, if we add it aftermarket we take that chance of voiding the warranty but using a factory option should not void the warranty.

Herknav

Devil's Advocate
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't understand

If someone is THAT wrapped up in the warranty, why would they race?

DonkeyLips

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah but Cam where I think the problem is, is when they present this as somethingthey are enticing you to use like hey we added it for you, but really only putting it in there to void warranties. There was literally no other reason to put this feature on there but to void warranties. Bad taste imo.

No manufacturer can void a warranty ... They can only deny warranty work if the failure is found to be the fault of the owner, or a direct result of an aftermarket part .. but you still have a warranty.

Manufacturers put these race options in cars because not everyone gives a crap about the warranty, and let's face it they are fun and cool. They are not teasing or enticing anyone, just adding some options for those that want them. And I personally would rather see these types of things offered, rather than Ford be too scared to add them due to warranty concerns.

Having those things is not a license to beat the living crap out of the car and maintain your full warranty. As with any warranty, abuse is not covered whether you have track apps/line lock or not.

Last edited:

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
Ok i get it...we have a difference of opinion. I guess my real issue is Ford was just lazy imo...they didn't even come up with something proprietary like the GTRs launch control. They spent 35 cent Iin electronics adding an option which is a stupid dick tease that maybe me, u, cam and others on here realize will make issues with denying warranty...but some some poor sap who isn't on forums and isn't a big follower spends almost 40k on one and uses it onceto show his ffather in law and 6 months down the road when he has a valvetrain issue a ford service nazi is gonna wanna deny him warranty cause he "raced" his car. Just kinda ridiculous.....actually the whole premise of the line lock is pretty ridiculous. Christ I haven'tneeded one Iin almost 20 years lololol.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
I dont think they are going to be worried about this, there sure will be some entry conditions implemented and it could be used when determined safe and until it still is. It will be time limited and if things doesn't look right, it won't enable the option like temperatures and other stuff.

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
I dont think they are going to be worried about this, there sure will be some entry conditions implemented and it could be used when determined safe and until it still is. It will be time limited and if things doesn't look right, it won't enable the option like temperatures and other stuff.

i agree, watching the video looks like youll go to three different screens, push four buttons and then hold brake and such. Think its a cool feature which will probably not end up being used that much

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
i agree, watching the video looks like youll go to three different screens, push four buttons and then hold brake and such. Think its a cool feature which will probably not end up being used that much

It's a useful feature for real drag racers, but I agree. I can honestly say I've never used the christmas tree, launch control or any of the other apps on my GT500.

So many people saw the picture/video of the line-lock for the 2015 and assumed you flip a switch on the dash and the car automatically locked the front brakes and did a burnout in one motion Lol.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a useful feature for real drag racers, but I agree. I can honestly say I've never used the christmas tree, launch control or any of the other apps on my GT500.

so you drive like an old grandmother? :clap:

Shaffe

forum member
Reaction score
saw this on C5 Today.

Racing Your Mustang Will Void Its Warranty, Despite Line Lock
BY Nelson Ireson NELSON IRESON

The 2015 Ford Mustang holds a lot of promise: independent rear suspension, a turbocharged four-cylinder engine option, and a completely new structure--all huge boons to the sports car fan. But what if your Mustang enthusiasm tends toward the straight strip variety? There's plenty to love there, too, from the 5.0-liter V-8 in the GT to the recently announced line lock feature that makes burnouts easier.

But if you should choose to drag race your 2015 Mustang, know that you'll void the warranty.

What, you ask? How? Why?

After noticing some fine print at the bottom of Ford's video announcing and explaining the line lock feature, which read "Racing your vehicle will void your warranty," Motor Authority decided to follow up and see just what that meant.

Basically, it means exactly what it says: race your Mustang and you can expect the warranty to be void.

But what, exactly, is racing? Brian Cotter, global Mustang communications coordinator, wrote via email, "If you are using this feature in an actual race (ex. at a drag strip vs. your neighbor’s Camaro) this would create a problem from a warranty standpoint."

Cotter further explained, "[T]here is nothing wrong with testing the capabilities of the Mustang in a non-race environment. You could, for instance, test your quarter-mile time on a closed-course. This would be permissible because you aren’t competing against any other car OR against a predetermined time, etc."

Still not quite satisfied, we asked for clarification, noting the enthusiasm with which Mustang chief engineer Dave Pericak and stability control engineer Scott Mlynarczyk when talking about the new line lock system offering a feature that allows Mustang drivers to maximize their performance at the track.

In the video, Mlynarczyk says, "We had one goal in mind, with the Mustang user who takes this to the track, and to provide a feature that we haven't seen out there in the field before."

Pericak adds more color to the idea, "Mustangs have a huge heritage of going out on the track. Our customers take it out on the weekends, they have fun with it. So, line lock is another example of where we're going to allow our customers to do what they want to do. They want to take this car, they want to go to the track, they want to have fun, and this is going to allow them to do that. It's going to be another advantage when you're on the track versus the [inaudible]."

You'd be forgiven if you heard that and thought it meant Ford had given its blessing to Saturday night grudge matches at the local strip. But you'd be wrong.

The line lock feature was clearly designed to help Mustang buyers to extract maximum performance "when you're on the track versus" just about anything. But using the feature for that intended purpose voids the warranty.

To be clear, simply using the line lock feature on private property, or even at a drag strip provided there's no competitor in the other lane or a purse on the line, will not void the warranty.

Cotter clarified in his e-mail, "Racing (ex. in a bracket-style competition at a drag strip) would be an issue; testing the capabilities of the Mustang at a test-and-tune day where there is no incentive for fastest quarter mile times (etc.) is permissible. You can have plenty of fun at a track without entering the realm of 'racing.' Issues would arise when you are specifically competing against other cars 'wheel to wheel.' Testing the capabilities of the Mustang is not an issue."

So basically test n tune is ok but actual racing is not lol.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well that's a lot of double talk for sure

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
So if you ever go to the shop and they say you have used it you state, yes... I tested it in my driveway.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back