20's without dropping the car?

Tib02

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my wheels and am looking at getting some 20's. I plan on getting some gunmetal TSW Nurburgrings but I also don't want to lower the car. It is my DD and I do live in downtown Houston. Potholes are a concern for me.

Any suggestions on tire sizes? Will I be having a lot of gap in between tires and wheel well. I don't want to be driving a donk.

Thanks,

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I would just lower it a little. And depending on your sizes run a 275/35/20 on the front and a little bigger on the rear. still a 35 sidewall. This will be 27.6 in diameter in the front and roughly 28" in the back. Enough for you to drop the car some and close the wheel gap.

28ONE

Reaction score
Install FRPP P springs, 1" drop front/rear. What size wheels are you going to run?

Tib02

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking of doing a square setup with 8.5". Don't get me wrong, I would like to lower the car but its going to have to wait.

budget =(

28ONE

Reaction score
well if you're going with 8.5" tires will probably be 245 or 255/35R20. Gonna look like rubberbands...

Tib02

forum member
Reaction score
Since she is my DD, I would like to get the most life out of my tires. Hell, I'm running around bald now <.<

Excuse my ignorance, but when you say look like rubber bands can you give me an example?

28ONE

Reaction score
you're tires are going to really look low profile - i.e. all rim hardly any rubber. I have a square setup with 20x9.5 with 275/35R20. It's hard to tell in pictures but when you compare in person a 255/35R20 to a 275/35R20 there is a .5" difference in sidewall height. Check out the website and plug in these sizes, this will help with the visual...

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
If you are worried about potholes and rough roads you really shouldn't get 20's....The lack of sidewall on the 20's will net you a bent wheel if you were to hit one of those potholes hard enough.

Stetler17

forum member
Reaction score
To stay in your limits and still have a sharp Mustang.

I suggest getting a 255 40 tire to get some sidewall and height to it.

Just dropping the rear an inch would be cheap and easy....and give the car
a good look. No, it won't look like a slammed car with 295 out back, but it
will meet your needs and look way better than stock.

spike648

forum member
Reaction score
I run roush's 1" 1 1/4" rear on 20's around town and no issues with them rubbing its just a right drop bud. Just avoid pot holes as much possible... I run a 35 series tire.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I also don't want to lower the car.

Almost everyone that posted here must have missed this part.

He/she does NOT want to lower the car.

I think that I personally would go 19's with a little more tire if you can. This will help protect the wheel from the potholes.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Almost everyone that posted here must have missed this part.

He/she does NOT want to lower the car.

I think that I personally would go 19's with a little more tire if you can. This will help protect the wheel from the potholes.

19s dont have that option of more tire lol.. Go 18s if you want sidewall

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
You must, must, MUST lower a car with 20s.

I'll use my own car as an embarrassing example. Wheel sizes and tire sizes are the same. Only difference is Sportlines.

SANY0003.jpg

IMG121.jpg

/thread

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to upgrade my wheels and am looking at getting some 20's. I plan on getting some gunmetal TSW Nurburgrings but I also don't want to lower the car. It is my DD and I do live in downtown Houston. Potholes are a concern for me.

Any suggestions on tire sizes? Will I be having a lot of gap in between tires and wheel well. I don't want to be driving a donk.

Thanks,

Crazy20Mustang-1.jpg

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
^^ Pretty damn spot on.

OP, I understand that you do not want to lower your car, but asethically it would be better and provide a better ride. I live near and travel through Wash DC and nothing is complete about those rods. My Bullitt on Sportlines handled the roads fine and my GF's rides fine over the bumps too on Sportlines. Just be actively looking out and your fine.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back