4R70/75W automatic swap..

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
I'm starting to gather information for a 4R75W swap into my 5.0.. I have a decent working MT82 right now, which was rebuilt a few months ago, but I think I'm ready to just put a automatic in the car and call it a day.

The 6R80 is out, because there simply aren't any in the junkyards yet. I'm not paying for a new one, and all of the BS that goes along with swapping it in and making it work.

So, here's my plan..

Stock 4R75W from a Mach 1
Circle D single disc converter
OptiShift transmission controller
Custom 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
Custom Chromemoly trans mount
Stock 4.6 flex plate
OEM shifter/bezel assembly, modded to work with the 4R75W

The only difficulty that I see is the speed sensor.. I'm not sure what the tooth count is on the MT82, but, I'm sure I can figure something out. Most of the time, you can change this up with SCT/Diablosport anyway.

The reverse lights and neutral switch should be either plug/play, or cut/sold a pair of 2 wire plugs at the most.

I'm currently looking for a 4R75W at the moment. A stock unit should hold up just fine at my power level. I'll spend the money on a good converter. :)

I'll post updates/progress here as I go along. If anyone has anything to add, I'd appreciate it.

Travis

Jonbones

stumoc sreu itlte
Reaction score
sounds like fun. any idea how much fab work you'll have to do to get everything to fit / work properly?

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
The only fab work should be the transmission cross member.. And I'll have to get a driveshaft made. Everything else should be pretty much plug/play.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
fbperformance makes a crossmember for a 4r70w and 05+ mustangs, might save you some work if they didnt change the floor on the '10 + S197s.

Circle-D

Reaction score
Excellent choice on the converter - lol.

Sounds like you have done some good research. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.

If you have any questions, I can try to get you an answer.

Chris

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Mike at Powerhouse has everything for this swap. Give him a call. His work is top notch and fair prices.

Trav4011

Hoosier Daddy?
Reaction score
Excellent choice on the converter - lol.

Sounds like you have done some good research. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.

If you have any questions, I can try to get you an answer.

Chris

Chris, I actually spoke to you a few years ago, when I had my Lightning. I had already purchased a PI triple disc, and was warned about the clutch material that they use. I sold the truck before I could pull it and send it to you for a rebuild.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back