5.0 Cam variation through tune to give lope?

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
In a discussion today a couple of us were talking about FRPP "hot rod" cams.

In relation to the new 5.0 and it's variable cams, doesn't it make sense that a tuner could adjust the factory cams to give the same lope and sound below 1200rpms that the FRPP's have for an example and restore the standard idle and sound above?

I don't have the answer, so I'm looking to the techies for some feedback.

Jeff

p/s I for one would want that in a heartbeat!

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
Another cam sound faker on the loose!!!

Not necessarily. If you program enough overlap into the cams at idle, you would have a lope. Would you get all the benefits of lopey cams? Well sure, you could keep them overlapped throughout the RPM range but you don't have to.

I think the Ti-VCT is going to be very underutilized for the first few months / possibly a year or so. People just don't realize what all crazy shit you can do with cams like these. You can have high-range cams and low-range cams all in one. The only things you can't change are duration and lift, but that's what the aftermarket is for.

And, since I just noticed it's in the smilies section and it disturbs me greatly: :2g1c:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
And, since I just noticed it's in the smilies section and it disturbs me greatly: :2g1c:

you liked it so much you posted it heh

I would think the cams and the tivct will be underutilized longer than that. many tuners out there still dont mess with the VCT in our cars.

Vapour Trails

The Renaissance Man
Reaction score
I would think the cams and the tivct will be underutilized longer than that. many tuners out there still dont mess with the VCT in our cars.

That's true, many tuners don't change the cam timing much when superchargers, etc are installed on the 3Vs. From what I've gathered, the reason for this is simply because there isn't much to be gained by messing with it.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VCT is just going to change the entire cam angle and can't cause overlap between the intake & exhaust valves can it? I'm doubtful that it can do what you're asking.

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
Oh boy... it might be underutilized forever if people don't understand how it works.

The Ti in Ti-VCT means "Twin INDEPENDENT". This means you can advance the intake and retard the exhaust. Or advance both the intake and exhaust. Or do whatever the f*** you want with them. And guess what... if you retard the intake and advance the exhaust... guess what, you've just created a large overlap between intake and exhaust. Which gives you that lope.

But, since lopey cams (IIRC) aren't real great for top-end power, you can have them just be lopey at low RPMs and advance the intake as the RPMs go up to shift it into a top-end-power cam profile.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I forgot that it's a 4 valve with DOHC's....now it makes sense. I was still thinking 3 valve with SOHC.

My bad.

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
Right and if we had lope right at idle which smoothed out at 1000 or 1200 rpm, it would sure be damn cool without toooo much sacrifice on power.

Neat to say the least.

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
I assume you meant low end?

*sigh* I have no idea why I put top instead of low. :dead2: Yeah that's what I meant.

If you program it so that it retards the intake cam (or advance the exhaust? I'm not a cam tuner by any means) right on throttle-tip in, you won't lose any power. Theoretically.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the VCT is just going to change the entire cam angle and can't cause overlap between the intake & exhaust valves can it? I'm doubtful that it can do what you're asking.

ti vct is by definition totally variable to include overlap.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i think you will see its going to take a year or two to figure out the new coding on the EEC. it is much more complicated than the 05-09's.

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
It would be neat to have a classic muscle car sound by the means of a tune only with out sacrificing anything like you do with a cam swap. It doesn't have to be a radical lope, but a slight one.

I've been watching videos on youtube recently of 60's Mustangs and even stock they had a slight lope sound to them. I sure wish engines still sounded like the old ones. Man they're sweet. Maybe ti-vct can do this when tuned by someone that knows what they're doing (eventually...).

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
SO I just read the 5.0 article again. Looks like you can only change the cam overlap +- 50 degrees. Pretty bad ass technology

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back