5.0 Cam variation through tune to give lope?

hawkeye18

omgwtfbbq
Reaction score
In English please?

Tuning isn't very easily translated to English, but here goes: There are tables in a tune (that look a lot like an excel spreadsheet) that, based on values on the X and Y axes (which can be anything... RPM, Load, Coolant temp, speed, throttle position, etc. etc. etc...) will command something at the intersection of those axes. I.E. If you have, say, throttle position on the X-axis and speed on the Y-axis, the computer will use the number at the intersection of those (i.e. high speed, low throttle position means lots of advance) to determine what to do with the Ti-VCT. 15 tables means that there are 15 distinct sets of parameters that the computer looks at to determine what to do with the Ti-VCT.

Basically, it means it's incredibly complicated.

Boorail85

forum member
Reaction score
Not without air operated valves...F1 teams have done this as they were losing control of the old-school valvetrain at the atmospheric revs they run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_valve_springs

doubt it will make it to passenger cars, but we WILL see soleniod operated valves. One solenoid per valve, and an ECM using a pulse width modulated signal to command the solenoids open a certian distance and for a certian time. Pretty ingenious if you ask me.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
i would also LOVE for someone to figure this out.. its to bad these adjustments cant be made by just using the hand held and a laptop that DOESNT have the high dollar program from SCT to adjust things like that. i would love to be able to have a lumpy idle, and then when the throttle is pushed the ecu puts everything back ot stock/modded settings so that we still get the most power/torque from these stock cams. This all makes perfect sence, BUT to do this would require LOTS of time, and the software/adjustability that most of us dont have .. right?? or am i wrong and we CAN adjust these prameters w/ out that expensive program.. ? ?

Reaction score
Its not likely that you will see an end user cam adjustable feature. The VCT is as mentioned before, incredibly complicated, and with the 15 or so cam timiming tables there are an equal number of borderline spark tables, because as the cam changes timing the engines requirement for spark will change too.

Not to mention, that there is also potential for catastrophic engine damage from changes in cam timing.........

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Its not likely that you will see an end user cam adjustable feature. The VCT is as mentioned before, incredibly complicated, and with the 15 or so cam timiming tables there are an equal number of borderline spark tables, because as the cam changes timing the engines requirement for spark will change too.

Not to mention, that there is also potential for catastrophic engine damage from changes in cam timing.........

Translation, you'll blow your shit up with a handheld.

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The tables are for economy... strip things down... :) There's no need for that many tables in a performance calibration. This is in regards to the array of borderline knock tables. We figured it out today and were very happy with the results. As for the VCT, that's a different story. Those tables you can't strip down.

assasinator

1000hp turbo 4v
Reaction score

most dont get DCR and its effects.

also this motor is free revving. it is not an interference motor. the valves will not hit the pistons like earlier modulars.

Last edited:

Konablue10Gt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes it is going to be possible.

Ive been playing with it and can get mine to "Lope" for about two minutes right after start up, but then it smoothes out. And yes it sounds KILLER! The problem is that the VCT tables and source files need to be further decoded by companies like SCT and Diablo. Once that happens then we will have control on what VCT tables are being used at idle.

I 100% believe that stock cams can and will sound like Hot Rod cams in the near future.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
I am glad of the decision to actually pursue true VVT cams with the 5.0 4V, the old method of locking them out I feel would be leaving power on the table.

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
The TracKey PCM software, installed by an authorized Ford dealer after a customer takes delivery of the car, adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control and other engine parameters – more than 200 in total – to provide a complete race car calibration. The result is an aggressive, race-bred driving experience all the way down to the lopey idle rumbling through the Boss quad exhaust.

“We installed the 302R software on the same PCM that held the stock Boss software,” says Seaman. “Then the controls engineers developed a software system to activate one or the other, depending upon which key was used to start the vehicle. Really, all the parts to make this work existed – the Ford MyKey® system was already using the PATS transceiver to perform specific actions based on the key used to start the car, and the PCM was flexible enough to handle multiple control modules. It was just putting everything together.”

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
The TracKey PCM software, installed by an authorized Ford dealer after a customer takes delivery of the car, adjusts variable cam timing, spark maps, engine braking, fuel control and other engine parameters – more than 200 in total – to provide a complete race car calibration. The result is an aggressive, race-bred driving experience all the way down to the lopey idle rumbling through the Boss quad exhaust.

“We installed the 302R software on the same PCM that held the stock Boss software,” says Seaman. “Then the controls engineers developed a software system to activate one or the other, depending upon which key was used to start the vehicle. Really, all the parts to make this work existed – the Ford MyKey® system was already using the PATS transceiver to perform specific actions based on the key used to start the car, and the PCM was flexible enough to handle multiple control modules. It was just putting everything together.”

I spent time with a 302R last week the way that this thing gains revs is pretty insane. And it does definitely have a noticeable slightly rough idle to it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back