5.0 Cam variation through tune to give lope?

Lurker

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you want to make people think you have big cams when you really don't? That's like those things that make turbo noises.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you want to make people think you have big cams when you really don't? That's like those things that make turbo noises.

Because the new 5.0 has more than enough power to back up the sound of cams even stock. I don't care who you are, 12.8 is nothing to stick your nose at.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
i have to agree....thats like putting something in your car to make a whistle and to make ppl think you have a centrifugal blower when you truly dont. makes no sense.

however, if by manipulating the tune you can advance and retard each cam there is definitely power to be gained across the whole rpm range and thats what really counts :)

2011CS

2011 California Special
Reaction score
The discussion was, can it be done?

Yes by the sounds.

Good, cause I don't care what anyone else says, I want it for MY car.

And a supercharger and and and...

This is really like mag wheels, it's personal and thats what is sooooo damn cool about cars.

We each get our own :)

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
what are the point of big cams? Power right? So if you can get the sound and power out of the stock cams and dont have to spend 1500 bux then i'm all for that

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
^Big cams doesn't just mean big overlap.
Yeah, with a twin independent VCT, you can definitely adjust overlap all day long.
If you want real power gains, you need to push those valves down lower and longer, which is something a computer can't do...yet.

Twinscrewgt

Bad Smurf
Reaction score
Obviously you can't change lift. I wasn't saying that. Just saying use what u have to it's full potential before spending a ton of money on new cams

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
...however, if by manipulating the tune you can advance and retard each cam there is definitely power to be gained across the whole rpm range and thats what really counts :)

Isnt' this what Ford has done already, in the quest for low end grunt and top end power? The question is, how much did they leave on the table for smart tuners to take advantage of?

I figure sloshing the cams around from the lopey idle to low end grunt in the blink of an eye was too difficult or wouldn't get past the emissions testing otherwise Ford would've done it. Can you imagine the number of cars they would sell with a lopey, 'muscle car' idle? Or are they waiting to sell their own 'thumper' tune in a year's time?

BSell

forum member
Reaction score
^Big cams doesn't just mean big overlap.
Yeah, with a twin independent VCT, you can definitely adjust overlap all day long.
If you want real power gains, you need to push those valves down lower and longer, which is something a computer can't do...yet.

Not without air operated valves...F1 teams have done this as they were losing control of the old-school valvetrain at the atmospheric revs they run.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_valve_springs

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
Faking the sound of cams is just flat out gay... just saying.

Um, I don't know how it would be "faking". It would be creating overlap with the cams that are in the car using the vct, whereas an older car would require a cam swap that had overlap, since there is no vct.

It would be the best of both worlds, which is far from gay...:beerdrink:

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the "lopey idle" is the sound of compromise. Meaning that the idle quality and emissions are sacraficed for higher rpm torque which in turn increases power.
So, with the advent of tivct, we can now adjust the camshafts for great idle and lowspeed performance and net the changes of increased overlap/ valve event timing at higher rpms. This is why the new 5.0 has such a wide flat powercurve.......

So to adjust the cam for a crappy idle would be a huge step backwards from a technology standpoint and defeat the purpose of the tivct. If thats the case, build a custom set of manually adjustable cam gears, lock out the vct, and have the lumpy idle and poor low speed performance.

To buy a cam for poor idle quality is the WRONG reason to buy a cam, but it seems to be the reason for most cam purchases........

pacettr

PJ Lover
Reaction score
You guys do realize that the "lopey idle" is the sound of compromise. Meaning that the idle quality and emissions are sacraficed for higher rpm torque which in turn increases power.
So, with the advent of tivct, we can now adjust the camshafts for great idle and lowspeed performance and net the changes of increased overlap/ valve event timing at higher rpms. This is why the new 5.0 has such a wide flat powercurve.......

So to adjust the cam for a crappy idle would be a huge step backwards from a technology standpoint and defeat the purpose of the tivct. If thats the case, build a custom set of manually adjustable cam gears, lock out the vct, and have the lumpy idle and poor low speed performance.

To buy a cam for poor idle quality is the WRONG reason to buy a cam, but it seems to be the reason for most cam purchases........

I look at it 180* from that, Mike. Now a guy that LIKES the lumpy idle can have it and immediately lose the overlap at throttle tip-in. Lumpy idle, broad powerband, improved fuel economy; win, win, win.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back