5.0 died and will not start

firefighterhill

forum member
Reaction score
I bet this is going to take alot of time. Who knows ford may end up pulling the engine and shipping it to one of there factory shops before they even start a tear down.

terryj

Reaction score
Maybe Ford made them sign a non-disclosure agreement as has been rumored on other forums.:bs:

Synister500

Reaction score
Ok, finally an update. As I hope some of you will understand I waited till the car was back before saying anything. First, there is no hush hush agreement with anyone, that is absolutely ridiculous. There are also places on the internet that say we never made it to the moon, 2Pac, Elvis and Hitler are all still alive, and Obama is the anti-christ.... well ...... anyway, don't believe everything you read or hear on the net. The car did go to the dealer, came back, then went back again to smooth out some remedial problems. The reason for not saying anything until now was I did not want to cause any trouble for the owner. The car was sent to a local Ford dealer, found to have a mechanical failure, CAR WAS FIXED UNDER WARRANTY, and returned to the owner with a new 2012 motor. The extended wait time came from waiting for a new motor, as all current stock is already spoken for. Now for the diagnosis. As I stated earlier be sure to check your oil from the day you drive it off the lot. Problem 1, The car was found to be 4 qts low on oil. Now before anyone starts calling names for not checking the oil, the oil was checked before leaving out of the country, minimal driving while gone less than 100 miles, same tank of gas was still in it at the time of the failure. Lack of oil was not considered to be a player in the failure according to the tech, I disagree but hey I'm just retard that grew up around this shit. Now for the failure, it was found that the #2 main bearing had completely came apart and #4 had pieces missing and on it's way out when the motor locked up. It was ruled a mechanical failure and powertrain warranty was honored by Ford. When the car was purchased, the owner was instructed to not add, or change the oil till either 1 yr, 10K miles, or oil change indicator suggested. This was their answer to the "tick" everyone was hearing in the valve train. It was said that the oil in the motor had additives to help break it in. Those people having valve train "ticking" were changing their oil too soon. At 5k miles the owner called the dealership and asked them again about changing the oil, reported to them it seemed about a qt low. They reassured it was fine and follow the oil change as it has been recommended. Then at 9K miles we have a locked up motor. So, check your oil often, change it as you see fit or follow their recommendations. If it was mine, and it was low, I'd add some break-in oil to it, but that is just me. The owner is glad to have the car back, not happy about all the greasy finger prints, and the car runs like a top. But now I think I've scared him about his #8 piston! Now that is a whole other internet issue ........

terryj

Reaction score
Was the car taken in to Ford service with or without the mods? It would be a bitch to have to replace the headers to stock.

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Just checked my oil 2 days ago to make sure. Not a hard process and could be done each time the car is washed just to get on some sort of schedule.

Thereaper

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Since the oil level was not the cause of failure, I will run only 4 quarts in my engine from now on.:wtf1:

Last edited:

JerryC

Reaction score
If the design was to take a 5 qt existing desing and adding 3 extra quarts to get a desired 10000 mile oil change, I could see that making sense.

As long as Ford ok'd the warranty, I'm good with whatever they say. :)

ZLLJ

Reaction score
Problem 1, The car was found to be 4 qts low on oil. Now before anyone starts calling names for not checking the oil, the oil was checked before leaving out of the country, minimal driving while gone less than 100 miles, same tank of gas was still in it at the time of the failure.

I'm missing something, I'm tired so forgive me, but did you say it lost 4 quarts in 100 miles? Where the hell did it go?

Couldn't have been through the cylinders , I don't even think that could run, but I could easily be wrong. Best case it would look like a smoke bomb wouldn't it?

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
^^^I had one once that used that much oil just before it died, but like you said everybody new when I was coming. THe town wanted to hire me to kill mosquitos!! lol

Digital_Synapse

forum member
Reaction score
When the car was purchased, the owner was instructed to not add, or change the oil till either 1 yr, 10K miles, or oil change indicator suggested. This was their answer to the "tick" everyone was hearing in the valve train. It was said that the oil in the motor had additives to help break it in. Those people having valve train "ticking" were changing their oil too soon.

Interesting. I got my car July '10, I wasn't told to wait any of those time frames, and I changed mine at 5k the first time, and it was changed to semi synthetic, then the next change to full synthetic...each subsequent change 3k mi intervals with full synthetic. I must have got very lucky because I don't have/or hear a tick with mine. Also, I remember reading the complete manual front to back while washing laundry when I first got it, and I remember seeing something that said there was NO break-in period, the car already came broken in. But it was mentioned to drive at variable speeds, or not to stay at one consistant speed too long for the first 500. Hmm.

At any rate, thanks for the update dude.

09 Ricky

forum member
Reaction score
These motors pretty much seat up with the first start up with todays technology. There really isn't a specific break in period. On mine I drove her easy for the first 600 hundred miles then did my first oil change....my preference...no problems......no ticks. Changing the oil early is better than changing to late.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
The break-in oil 'til 10k doesn't make much sense as these are pretty well broke-in by 500 miles. But as long as Ford paid it, I guess it doesn't matter in this case.

My buddys '11 he melted down at 5k (big Procharger) had the original oil in it when we tore it apart and it still looked pretty fresh. I'm a bit jealous, the oil in my 3v turns black after 1000 miles. I'm still trying to figure that out.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
In my opinion anyone who waits 10,000 miles to do the first oil change in these cars isn't doing their motor any favors. I changed mine at 1500 miles then again at 5000 miles and will change it every 5000 miles after that using the Motorcraft semi synthetic 5W20 oil. I also don't understand how the car used 4 quarts of oil in 100 miles. This is a confusing story to say the least but I'm really happy the guy got his car fixed under warranty.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back