7.75 ounces to balance a wheel/tire

46addict

Reaction score
I know the point of balancing a wheel/tire assembly is to reduce vibrations, but I'm wondering if a wheel takes a lot of weight to balance, there's an underlying problem.

Today I went to have my used MT ET Radial Pros mounted on brand new Welds, and one of the wheels took 10.75 ounces to balance. The other wheel did not take as much. The tire tech used 26 quarter ounce weights on one end of the wheel, and 17 on the other. They were very busy today and I didn't want to have them dismount and remount if it's not something I need to worry about.

TireRack says the consensus is if it takes more than 1% of the wheel assembly to balance, there may be a problem. The wheel is 18lbs and the tire has to be at least 35 from what I felt, which would put me at 848 ounces. 10.75 would be over 1%. I need to put the assembly on a scale to be completely sure of my numbers. So can I run these at the track with this much weight? I haven't driven the car yet so I don't know if there are any vibrations.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would have had the tech rotate the tire on the rim and try again.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, that tire needs to be indexed and rotated. I jpaked the tire tech to do,that when mine was asking for 4 oz IIRC

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I suspect the tpms sensor mounted on the valve stem could easily throw the balance off..any rim. If the tire is indexed and rotated, is that normal, or a manufacturing defect, or within tolerance ?

46addict

Reaction score
These are track tires so I didn't bother having TPMS installed in them. But I can see how they can throw the balance off. I know nothing about tire construction but I imagine there are heavy and light spots in every tire and if you were to index the light spot on the opposite end of where the TPMS sits, you can still be balanced. I understand indexing/rotating to be normal practice because tires and wheels don't have perfectly even weight distribution.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Wouldn't you want the heavy spot on the tire opposite to the TPMS?

Many tires do have paint spots for match-mounting for balancing purposes.

Norm

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
IMO if the tire is that far out of balance then it's defective. Either molded off center or else a belt is separating internally. I had a tire like that once on my Bullitt. They rebalanced it and tried to tell me it was fine with 5+ ounces of weight (and it was still out of round). The tire was less than 6 months old and I finally got them to replace it under warranty.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I had this issue with my wheels and discovered there were two ways to balance wheels, hubcentric and lugcentric. We were using hubcentric, machine couldn't do it by the lugs so I had to take it to a tire shop with a lugcentric balancer, problem solved.

it's basically using the lugs on studs attached to the machine instead off the cone though the hub. Good luck.

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
My MT ET SS's took a whole bunch of weight too. So much weight I had to
use 4 ouncer's on outer edge of rim and a whole bunch more
internal too.

It's not a rim problem. Rims balanced out to almost zero.
They vibrate bad @ 90ish, lucky I only use them on the track.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, that tire needs to be indexed and rotated. I jpaked the tire tech to do,that when mine was asking for 4 oz IIRC

With this said. Was it conventionally balanced or Road Force Balanced? Road Force Machine allows the tech to isolate the exact location of the issue and tells them where to rotate the tire to for optimum balancing.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It was just a spin balance

46addict

Reaction score
I had this issue with my wheels and discovered there were two ways to balance wheels, hubcentric and lugcentric. We were using hubcentric, machine couldn't do it by the lugs so I had to take it to a tire shop with a lugcentric balancer, problem solved.

it's basically using the lugs on studs attached to the machine instead off the cone though the hub. Good luck.
I am pretty sure the Welds I am using are lugcentric so that would make a lot of sense.

My MT ET SS's took a whole bunch of weight too. So much weight I had to
use 4 ouncer's on outer edge of rim and a whole bunch more
internal too.

It's not a rim problem. Rims balanced out to almost zero.
They vibrate bad @ 90ish, lucky I only use them on the track.
Does that vibration go away after 90? And are you okay with having a vibrating wheel at the track?

OX1

forum member
Reaction score
Does that vibration go away after 90? And are you okay with having a vibrating wheel at the track?

Yeah only does it in one spot around 95, even @ 125 they are fine.

Not crazy about it, but I bought them way before using them and
they are on some really deep dish bullitts, with a 3" lip to recess
where bead has to fall on install.

Absolute nightmare to install, not sure if I could ever get them off
without possibly ripping bead. Don't run them anywhere near that
speed on road.

46addict

Reaction score
With this said. Was it conventionally balanced or Road Force Balanced? Road Force Machine allows the tech to isolate the exact location of the issue and tells them where to rotate the tire to for optimum balancing.
Conventional balancing. I'm hoping it's just a bad balancing technique and not bad tires.

teeje

Reaction score
It shouldn't take that many ounces...either the tech didn't put the right size of rim or he did it wrong to begin with. My 19x10 gt500 rims only took .5 ounces

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

teeje

Reaction score
As in out the correct rim size and tire size and psi into the balancer. I'm going to assume they have a balancer with simulated road force dont they?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

46addict

Reaction score
No this was not a roadforce balance. They took the wheel and tire off the car and spun it.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back