A bad day in KY

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
how does this happen? sorry to see this but its clearly driver error..
not like you were driving in the snow with slicks. you have street tires and the road was dry.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Dude, have you ever driven a muscle car with "summer time only" tires while below freezing outside? If you had... you wouldn't be saying stupid shit like that.

Bad choice to take it out, but its not like he was driving like a dick.

I wanted to pull the Shelby in the garage because the weather sucked and we were going to get a storm. I have Summer tires on my car. It was 11 degrees the other night, the driveway was clean and dry. The tires were so hard from the cold, that when I let the clutch out, the tires just spun. I had to leave the car in the driveway because I couldn't get enough traction to make it into the garage.

Last edited:

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score

I wanted to pull the Shelby in the garage because the weather sucked and we were going to get a storm. I have Summer tires on my car. It was 11 degrees the other night, the driveway was clean and dry. The tires were so hard from the cold, that when I let the clutch out, the tires just spun. I had to leave the car in the driveway because I couldn't get enough traction to make it into the garage.

Truth here. It's completely my fault....for getting it out. I had left it parked since it had gotten cold. I just thought "hey a quarter mile to jump start my truck...surely I'll be ok in that short distance." Ha.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
So sorry, man. It's been brutal here recently. Dropped down to -6 with wind chills last Wednesday so I've just been driving the wife's Explorer and my car is mostly stock. These cars just like to get sideways in anything but dry pavement. Less than a year after owning mine it spun out getting on the highway in the rain with all-seasons going well under the speed limit. I feel your pain. If you get it back or are interested in swapping some parts I'd be interested in the trunk lid and GT500 conversion for sure. Either way, glad you're safe. Sad to see another torch red 09 off the road.

fordracer666

forum member
Reaction score
Dude, have you ever driven a muscle car with "summer time only" tires while below freezing outside? If you had... you wouldn't be saying stupid shit like that.

Yeah i have many times! I believe my 500rwhp turbo 06 can be considered a muscle car maybe not? I just took it out last week
with "summer time only " tires on it . And yeah sure the tires dont stick well. But i could drive the car normal very easily. I was in no fear of hitting a pole with it!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Bummer, corey, sorry to hear.

:lol2:

Sumitomo HTR-ZIII
Memo to self: take these tires off any future "short list".

Right now, my '08 GT is riding on a set of pretty old max performance summer tires like it did all last winter. Turns out they're enough better in the wet than the OE all-seasons to cover (in an overall sense) for having poorer cold grip. My point is that the car isn't undriveable in the winter on summer-only rubber, as long as I keep their cold grip limitation firmly in mind at all times and drive accordingly.

I imagine that OP's 2.57" pulley and that VMP tune had a whole lot to do with what happened.

Norm

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Yeah i have many times! I believe my 500rwhp turbo 06 can be considered a muscle car maybe not? I just took it out last week
with "summer time only " tires on it . And yeah sure the tires dont stick well. But i could drive the car normal very easily. I was in no fear of hitting a pole with it!

Bummer, corey, sorry to hear.

Memo to self: take these tires off any future "short list".

Right now, my '08 GT is riding on a set of pretty old max performance summer tires like it did all last winter. Turns out they're enough better in the wet than the OE all-seasons to cover (in an overall sense) for having poorer cold grip. My point is that the car isn't undriveable in the winter on summer-only rubber, as long as I keep their cold grip limitation firmly in mind at all times and drive accordingly.

I imagine that OP's 2.57" pulley and that VMP tune had a whole lot to do with what happened.

Norm

You guys must be rockin some shitty ass summer time times if they are worth a day in the winter.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about. People can call me a crappy driver or whatever. I've met very few of the guys here in person and could care less what someone thinks of me several hundred miles away. It is what it is and that's all. I got my estimate back today and sent it into my insurance just under $7k in damage not including the underlying mechanical issue. No verdict on if it's totaled or not. And I'll keep you guys update on if I part it. And thanks for you guys' concern and defense on the tire issue.

AMWill

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I've had the Roush parked at my parent's house (1/4 mile away) because of the cold weather and it's tires (anything below mid-40* get pretty hairy with these tires). Well yesterday I forgot to plug up the block heater in my truck and ran the batteries down pretty quickly trying to start it. I thought that I would be okay in such a short distance to drive the car, so I walked down and drove the car up to jump it. I was letting the truck warm up and drove the car to park it. When I hit second the tires just let loose. When it did they wet over ink some slick grass and then game over clipped a telephone pole. I'm pretty sure it will be totaled. Aside from the damage when you try to drive it just makes a clicking noise and won't move. The rear Forgestar is pretty bad too, not sure if it can be fixed. If they total it I'm going to try to buy it back cheap and part it out. I'll probably just drive the truck and try to find a fox body roller to fix just for the track.

EC6DED11-5DA0-4F78-A57C-8CA1EFD02F3A_zpsvrsxrjnx.jpg

7714ACFA-C88A-4DFD-995E-5CE3B5CBCBA6_zpszlyjmwal.jpg

B17D5448-DACD-4412-9254-AA945DB541B7_zpsyp26wt8o.jpg

82601B4C-53EC-4C87-810A-B273B811BF34_zps57edlht6.jpg

B3A7CFCA-4F50-44DF-B013-F628703630DD_zpsgybjhldv.jpg

So sorry to hear about this Corey,

It happens to the best of us, as long as you weren't hurt, cars can be replaced!

Let me know if I can do anything to help you out, I'm just a PM away.

Hope everything works out for you man.

- Will

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about. People can call me a crappy driver or whatever. I've met very few of the guys here in person and could care less what someone thinks of me several hundred miles away. It is what it is and that's all. I got my estimate back today and sent it into my insurance just under $7k in damage not including the underlying mechanical issue. No verdict on if it's totaled or not. And I'll keep you guys update on if I part it. And thanks for you guys' concern and defense on the tire issue.
Corey,

Hey man things in a car can happen so fast that we just can't do anything about.
I have been there and I would think many others on here have also.
Heck I ran mine into a steel cart in my garage because I was not sitting all the way in the driver's seat.
My driver's door got stuck on a shelf and I attempted to ease the car forward and pull the door loose from being stuck.
In an instant the car jumped forward right into the steel cart.
Did major damage to the hood, front fascia, fog-lights etc.
It happened so damn quick I just could not think to react and simply pull the Emergency Brake Handle up.

So that's just an example of how quick something can happen and we would not think in a million years anything like that would.

Saying sorry
icon9.gif
on this end I know ain't gonna repair or replace your Mustang.

But ..........

Man I sure Hate it for you !!!

Terry

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Ya those Sumi's are shit! I had a set on my 2001 Bullitt when I went to a 315 tire. The worst fricken tire I have ever driven, to include the "skater" back goodyears the Bullitt came with. Cold weather plus crap tire, OP you never had a chance... Sucks you wrecked her, good luck with the settlement. I like your plan for a Fox strip car... get a coupe...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
You guys must be rockin some shitty ass summer time times if they are worth a day in the winter.
Except for an Optima Speed-Stop-Square event I did almost 3 years ago - with only the first 400 feet or so being a drag race, I don't drag race. At all.

But the old, old summer tires that are on my car now can actually put down respectable lap times on a road course, with good enough grip and overall behavior to get me signed off to run solo.

Norm

Last edited:

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
Ya those Sumi's are shit! I had a set on my 2001 Bullitt when I went to a 315 tire. The worst fricken tire I have ever driven, to include the "skater" back goodyears the Bullitt came with. Cold weather plus crap tire, OP you never had a chance... Sucks you wrecked her, good luck with the settlement. I like your plan for a Fox strip car... get a coupe...

You bet I want a notchback. My first mustang was an 89 SSP car that I had to sell in my divorce. I've missed it since I saw it leave here.

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to see this man. Hope you get back in something soon. The weather has been cold. I put mine in the garage 45 minutes away until april so I won't be tempted to drive it.

corey5988

forum member
Reaction score
So sorry to hear about this Corey,

It happens to the best of us, as long as you weren't hurt, cars can be replaced!

Let me know if I can do anything to help you out, I'm just a PM away.

Hope everything works out for you man.

- Will

Thanks Will. If they don't total it I'll be needing a front and rear 19" piano black Forgestar CF5.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Sorry to see this brother! Keep your head up, it could've happened to any of us.
if all that's hurt is your ego, then you'll be just fine:)
Good luck with it all.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
No offense taken. I wasn't babying it, but wasn't getting on it either. For some reason the car had always been temperamental going into 2nd. I'm guessing with the 4.10s and blower it doesn't help much in the lower gears. I have had my fun in the car and never had issues. It just kicked out a bit, enough to clip that grass, and that was all she wrote. It was probably around 10-15 degrees.

No offense to you 3v zero tq, NA folks. Sumitomo is 3 steps worse than a Nitto-555. Toss in the roush M90 blower, then the smaller 2.57" pulley, 8 psi boost, 4:10 rear gears..and JBA LT's, and an un-catted midsection, 2nd gear...and 10-15 deg F outside temps.... = a disaster waiting to happen.

You got any idea how much tq he has....in 2nd gear with 4:10 gears ? Those jba LT's will add one helluva lotta low end tq. Those tires don't have traction at 10-15 F. Once they started to slip, it was all over real fast. Hit the grass, and you may as well be on ice.

Don't feel too bad. We have several 2014 GT-500's here in town..and none of the owners are impressed with em in the rain or wet. They just don't work. The roush dealer was telling me they had one guy test a new 2014 GT-500 1.5 yrs ago.... in the rain. He had stopped on a hill, to adjust the seat. Pissing down rain at the time, and no way could he get traction in 1st gear. The local club president sold his 2014. I was behind him, leaving a meeting. Gentle downhill slope. His back end was all over the map in 1st gear, on a slightly damp surface.

At well below freezing, you are asking for trbl. At least you walked away from it, and were not out on the hwy.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back