Adoption to Graduation

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
So this one time at band camp.... Okay here is the story behind my baby.

I was away at work and was looking to trade in my car for another used car. I had a 2011 dodge avenger 3.6 Heat. I came across a 2012 GT/CS convertible. She only had 15k miles and was manual. I called the dealership and said I would be there in a week to get the keys. A week later I was driving her home. I love this car so much.

Now she is bone stock as of right now. This weekend I will be placing an order from American Muscle to start her off. I have to say I do not plan on changing wheels as I like the unique 12 GTCS style.

The proposed build list right now is (I keep tweaking it I am too excited):

Pypes longtube headers
Pypes catted x pipe
Pypes catback with black tips
SR triple adjustable panhard bar
SR oil seperator
SR adjustable rear lower CA
Eibach sportline springs
Eibach adjustable camber bolts
Steeda CAI
X4 tuner.

I talked to a rep online and they price match so I will be trying to lower my cost a bit more.

Here are the virgin pictures of LUCY.

[URL=http://s476.photobucket.com/user/Parrisismyheart/media/20150523_193327.jpg.html]

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
Sounds wicked, I would go with the Roush extreme cat back, though... :D Mid mounted mufflers and an X, with cats the thing would be nuts.. Nuts! No trumpeting/drone/rasp/etc...

edit: http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypes-bomb-system-catback-1112gt.html

Is this the cat back? That will probably work.

Thanks to all. Same catback except the tips are coated black.

The issue i am running into is i found all the parts, headers catted x and the catback on yatesperformance but have heard horrible reviews, so i spoke with a rep from AM and they may be able to price match. If not i will have to change my setup to the same catback but with the o/r x stock headers. Cross the fingers

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
IMO, I would look into either MM or Vorshlag camber plates instead of the camber bolts. Easier to adjust once on the car, and would be "safer" than going the camber bolt route. Especially if you are going the sport line route. Any plans to change the shocks as well? The stock system overall isn't well thought out if you talk to a few people on here.

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
Boaisy,

Yes, shocks are in mind but have to be later as I only have about 2500 to spend. (vacation in aug). I have it so calculated right now lol that if I add camber plates I would need to delete something off my list. My goal is to make the car all around decent. A DD, able to do okay on a track, and straight line every now and then (maybe once a year each).

I have to search the threads because this would be my first time dropping a vehicle and I want to make sure alignment is not an issue early. I feel though the Lower CAs and Pan-hard are needed!

claudermilk

Reaction score
You could to it in stages instead of all at once. That's the only way I've gotten to where I am now--and I'm not close to done.

I know there's a really nice coilover setup in the Mustang parts classifieds for a steal right now. You could grab those & an adjustable panhard as a start, then grab the other parts later as funds allow. Watch the classifieds here (see above comment) and local CL. Half of my current suspension parts were bought used and work fine. I spent about $1500 on the first batch of parts. That was getting the Koni sports on sale, springs & Panhard used, and taking advantage of forum discounts where I could. The Vorshlag CC plates were full boat, but worth every penny.

An adjustable Panhard is needed, LCAs are nice, but can wait; I did mine about 6mo after the initial parts install. I still haven't messed with the engine--doesn't need anything yet.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
You could to it in stages instead of all at once. That's the only way I've gotten to where I am now--and I'm not close to done.

This. I've had my car for almost 3 years now, and the upgrades I did were in stages, not all at once.

Estimated costs that I spent:
Steeda CAI and Tune - ~800 (before spending another $600 to swap from BAMA to a Dyno Tune)
Whiteline Sway bars - ~$500
Whiteline UCA - ~$250
Whiteline Watts Link - ~$800-$1,000
BMR LCA, LCA relocation brackets, Driveshaft braces and loops -$500
Driveshaft - ~$1,200
Borla ATAK Mufflers - ~$800 (swapped to Borla Touring for a net gain of ~$100)
O/R H-Pipe - ~$500
Eaton TrueTrac - ~$400

So ($800 + $600) + $500 + $250 + $1,000 + $500 + $1,200 + $500 + $400 - $100 = $5,850, and I still have to upgrade my brake system which I plan to do for next year. Granted, I did not spend all of that in one go. I think the first I did was CAI, tune, and mufflers. The rest I bought as I went along.

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
True, I do need to check out the classifieds. The headers, catted xpipe, and catback are 1000. The steeda cai and x4 tuner are 800 those are musts! I will take a look to figure the rest out. Thanks for the advice

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I would skip the headers for now IMO. Strongly suggest looking at other tuners/cais too.

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
I would skip the headers for now IMO. Strongly suggest looking at other tuners/cais too.

Really? My understanding is headers are the main HP gainer for exhaust? Also I have been looking around on here and see a lot of talk about AED. I have never used a tuner before and have to research how to read the data log. Are Bama tunes bad? Everyone uses them, well at least it feels that way.

Off subject where should I start a build thread?

I just have to say I love something about everyone's car in here!

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Get a local tune, or use someone like Lund, Mike Roush, etc. for email tunes. AED has a bad rep, and BAMA has a bad taste in some people's mouth. BAMA did switch tuners, but I don't think a lot of people have put their faith back in them yet. If you try BAMA, and it doesn't work, you can always switch to someone else.

Your most restrictive part of the exhaust is your mid-pipe because of the cats. The factory system actually has sort of a short tube header system. While you benefit from LTH's, most of it will be seen from switching the mid-pipe. I have Lethal Performance's O/R-H's which mate to the factory headers (Lethal makes O/R-X versions as well). They are the T-304 version, so I don't have to worry about the leak most people get at the crossover with the cheaper version. The downside is you would have to switch the mid-pipes to ones compatible with LTH's when that time comes.

There isn't anything wrong with the Steeda CAI. It has a bigger tube than most others, which makes it require a tune, and it also reuses the factory "ram air" inlet.

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
Boaisy,

Thank you, I have been researching so much about this stuff. Ultimately I am going to stick with the Bama tune to see how the X4 is, I haven't heard a lot about it searching the web.

I was going to just get the cat back and o/r x from pypes. Those 2 are about 900 when I found out that AM might price match at 999 with headers I was like F yeah, let's try it. I will be ordering some stuff tomorrow.

This forum is by far the most helpful out there for the S197!

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
OP, great looking car! You certainly picked the fastest color! :driver:

This. I've had my car for almost 3 years now, and the upgrades I did were in stages, not all at once.

Estimated costs that I spent:
Steeda CAI and Tune - ~800 (before spending another $600 to swap from BAMA to a Dyno Tune)
Whiteline Sway bars - ~$500
Whiteline UCA - ~$250
Whiteline Watts Link - ~$800-$1,000
BMR LCA, LCA relocation brackets, Driveshaft braces and loops -$500
Driveshaft - ~$1,200
Borla ATAK Mufflers - ~$800 (swapped to Borla Touring for a net gain of ~$100)
O/R H-Pipe - ~$500
Eaton TrueTrac - ~$400

So ($800 + $600) + $500 + $250 + $1,000 + $500 + $1,200 + $500 + $400 - $100 = $5,850, and I still have to upgrade my brake system which I plan to do for next year. Granted, I did not spend all of that in one go. I think the first I did was CAI, tune, and mufflers. The rest I bought as I went along.

I will NEVER EVER add up the cost of mods! :lol:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
That's not counting the estimated $3,000 I spent on wheels and tires for the track :p. Sadly, I would have had my car paid off by now if I didn't buy all of that :(.

Buss111

They call her Lucy.
Reaction score
HAHA I won't add up stuff in front of the wife!

Okay decided to go with the Pypes Pypes Bomb Super System Cat back (with blacks tips), Pypes off-road x-pipe, Steeda 101mm CAI, X4 SCT. I decided to wait on the drop until I can get the proper parts all at once. Should get my tracking number Monday.

Back