Air Lift Install - Here we go slow but steady!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Air Lift Install - Here we go slow but steady! - Continued #10

Increased the two existing holes to 5/16” and measured and drilled the two remaining holes for the tank feet.

Added ½” foam padding to cushion the tank feet on the tire well floor.

Bolted the tank in and terminated the line from the manifold to the tank.

Attached the drain/fill air line to the tank bottom straight fitting.

Routed the drain/fill air line through the EVAP cover towards the back bumper. Also shown is where the manifold exhaust air line exits.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Air Lift Install - Here we go slow but steady! - Continued #11

Last Friday I ordered a second VIAIR 380C Compressor part number 16380, Compressor Isolator Kit part number 50714 and an Autopilot V2 Second Compressor Integration Harness part number 27679. They should be here by the weekend.

Since the compressors are going to be mounted above the EVAP I removed the 2 nuts and 2 bolts with a 11mm socket to lower the EVAP components out of the way.

Using the template provided marked; center punched and drilled ¼” holes for mounting both compressors.

Installed the passenger side compressor with a couple of 10mm wrenches.

Connected the leader line to the tank with a 5/8” wrench after installing a couple rotations of Teflon tape.

Connecting the Air Lift harness to the battery and key on ignition source. Since my battery is located in the trunk there was significantly more cable length in the Air Lift harness than needed. Rather than cutting it (at least for now), I decided to coil it and route it where it can be hidden out of site behind the battery box.

The 18AWG pink wire from the Air Lift harness was extracted from the wire loom and routed to the driver’s side FPDM harness. The FPDM “white” wire was tapped and used for both the Air Lift install and return style fuel system.

Finished the connection to the FPDM harness by adding a wire tap to the “white wire” FPDM harness.

Attached the fuse holder with 3 amp fuse to the pink Air Lift Ignition (key on source) and a white wire to be used for the return fuel system Fore Precision FC2 controller.

Plugged into the FPDM tap.

Cable tied the harness ground wire to the negative battery cable and slipped the eyelet connector on the stud.

Attached the harness positive wire to the hot side of a buss fuse folder for the alternator cable.

Finally turned the ignition on to test fill the air tank. Next up system calibration and testing for leaks.

01mingreyvert

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Willy you said something about modifying the BC shock extensions. Could you explain?

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Scott, as always perfect write up, will make doing mine a breeze in the future... and yes two compressors is the best way to go.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I don't even have plans for an air lift but what a great read and great job. Be careful with your hip and thanks for sharing.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad to see the second pump, going to do mine real soon. 2.5 gallon tank with 2 pumps should be awesome!

Many of the install pictures you see have two compressors and both you and Wes have been talking about going to a second compressor so I just said to myself, "Scott let's get her done!" Compressor and isolator kit are in stock and I am waiting for the 2nd compressor Air Lift V2 harness to make it's way to Canada and my supplier.

Last edited:

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Scott, as always perfect write up, will make doing mine a breeze in the future... and yes two compressors is the best way to go.

I am getting close now James, testing for leaks, tightening all the suspension fasteners to spec and setting my preset buttons and I should be good to put it on the ground. At least for a little inspiration! Likely will not be able get everything I need for the second compressor until the weekend.

I don't even have plans for an air lift but what a great read and great job. Be careful with your hip and thanks for sharing.

Thank you Andrew. Sometimes I think I spend more time taking pictures to get one that is half decent with my little point and shoot camera than doing the actuall work. But I am having fun and tinkering on the Mustang is a great hobby. Whenever I get this one done I still have a 1970 Boss 302 I purchased back in 1984 that needs some TLC. But that is another story. lol

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
I do love my system, but would love for them to come out with the ride height sensors soon! I definitely need to add a second compressor at some point also. Nice write up!

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Keep up the excellent work and detailed pics!!! Much appreciated!

Thanks Darren, when are you going to take the plunge and bag your 13?

I do love my system, but would love for them to come out with the ride height sensors soon! I definitely need to add a second compressor at some point also. Nice write up!

Kim thanks, your "after" pictures in your install thread were clearly a motivation for me in deciding to go the Air Lift route.

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Glad it helped you make you decision.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Made a quick test for air leaks in the front this evening. For testing a Dawn dish liquid and water solution in a ratio of 1 part Dawn to 5 parts water was prepared in a spray bottle.
Air pressure in both front struts was set to 80 lbs; the leader hose to strut fitting and leader hose to hard air line fitting were sprayed with the Dawn solution. We are good to go in the front, no bubbles around the connections.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I saw that in your build thread.

I have boxed my self in a little as I have to unbolt the tank to access the air lines on the manifold to test for leaks.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Measured the fill time with the 2.5 gallon tank and one compressor. It took 1 minute 11 seconds to go from the 145 min to 175 max on the tank. Will measure again when the other compressor is in so those contemplating adding a second compressor will have a better feel for the benefits.

onehotpny

forum member
Reaction score
Measured the fill time with the 2.5 gallon tank and one compressor. It took 1 minute 11 seconds to go from the 145 min to 175 max on the tank. Will measure again when the other compressor is in so those contemplating adding a second compressor will have a better feel for the benefits.

you'll find out that it will fill faster, but also the compressors won't have to stay on as long , therefore they won't over heat. Same principle as I used an extra air tank for my air brush set up , when air brushing... the extra reserve tank stored more air and then air compressor wouldn't come on as much, saved on over heating / compressor running all the time. Scott, in the end it will be worth every dollar you paid for having the extra compressor...:beer:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back