Airbag question

Sinister06gt

Reaction score
If this is in the wrong place I'm sorry. Just curious about what type of impact does it take to get the side airbags to deploy?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Picture1_zpsoisnlk58.png

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I was side swiped at 50 mph by a truck with a brush guard. I took ditch trying to avoid a head on. Spent most of last night in emergency room having the window removed from my face and arm

Still not tech.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Then where does a question about my airbag belong?

The mods will most likely move it to chit chat.

Providing all the information up front helps your forum mates answer the question. How fast were you and the guy who hit you going? What kind of damage on your car? Pictures? Did your airbag deploy or not?

Just a casual look online shows the consensus to be 15 to 25 MPH hitting something stationary that does not move when struck impact. A glancing sideswipe would have a hard time generating the energy for deployment.

Sinister06gt

Reaction score
I was doing 35. I'm assuming he was going same speed. I'm having trouble with pics. Left front fender is smashed around the strut. Door was caved in on my leg. Door frame is buckled and rear end bent.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was doing 35. I'm assuming he was going same speed. I'm having trouble with pics. Left front fender is smashed around the strut. Door was caved in on my leg. Door frame is buckled and rear end bent.

Time wise, the energy of impact was spread out, probably why the bag did not inflate.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Still not tech.

:boxed:

But on a serious note, glad you're relatively ok.

Unfortunately, I've had to deal with my fair share of accidents lately. My '08 GT was totaled about 2 months ago. My fiance' got hit by someone, and then the rental she was in got totaled.

In my Mustang, I was going 3 mph +/- and got t-boned by an Expedition going 45+. The only airbag that deployed was my driver side-seat airbag to keep me from hitting my head on the window.

I would probably agree with the previous statement about the car recognizing that the energy displacement didn't meet the criteria for an airbag to deploy.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

A little skin abrading does not exempt a little errrr skin abrading :)

He was posting, figured he was in fair condition. He kept a level head, he will do well on here. It does suck that he got swiped by the other guy.

Sinister06gt

Reaction score
A little skin abrading does not exempt a little errrr skin abrading :)

He was posting, figured he was in fair condition. He kept a level head, he will do well on here. It does suck that he got swiped by the other guy.

Yeah.. Just got phone call from my insurance. He didn't have any and this is gonna be on me

Sinister06gt

Reaction score
:boxed:

But on a serious note, glad you're relatively ok.

Unfortunately, I've had to deal with my fair share of accidents lately. My '08 GT was totaled about 2 months ago. My fiance' got hit by someone, and then the rental she was in got totaled.

In my Mustang, I was going 3 mph +/- and got t-boned by an Expedition going 45+. The only airbag that deployed was my driver side-seat airbag to keep me from hitting my head on the window.

I would probably agree with the previous statement about the car recognizing that the energy displacement didn't meet the criteria for an airbag to deploy.

Sorry to hear about that.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
speed is not the only factor with air bag deployment.
it also depends on what angle the impact happens.
I don't know specs on fords but VW SEAT side air bags won't deploy if the impact is more than 15* past 90* from square to the side.
I think most car makers are about the same + or - a few degrees.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back