Another build Round 4...

Boozshey

Reaction score
Yeah man, always seems to be something... But I just can't leave well enough alone.

Boozshey

Reaction score
Well apparently UPS is now trying to discredit the way it was packaged. I am about 90% sure after the conversation with the UPS adjuster today that I will have to sue UPS.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Well apparently UPS is now trying to discredit the way it was packaged. I am about 90% sure after the conversation with the UPS adjuster today that I will have to sue UPS.

The problem with that is proving UPS was negligent in their handling and actually caused the damage. They're pretty good at showing an item wasn't packaged properly. We've been the rounds with them a few times and have never come out on top.

They'll show your cardboard wasn't thick enough for the weight of the item, and the density of your packing material wasn't up to par either. They win every time.

Boozshey

Reaction score
They did find it. The problem that I have is this. The original claim was $500. They took it to their facility. Then lost it for over 12 days. It then surfaced after they decided to ship it back to me.

The other problem that I see is that the original damage if it wasn't going to be covered would have only been $500. By them opening the package, inspecting it, and then putting it back however they felt. Then shipping it back to me instead of returning it to the Kenne Bell, I believe they are negligent for the non-repairable damage it occured leaving their facility and being returned to me.

I mean seriously, look at this box...

2sm_zpsab50a567.jpg

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
They did find it. The problem that I have is this. The original claim was $500. They took it to their facility. Then lost it for over 12 days. It then surfaced after they decided to ship it back to me.

The other problem that I see is that the original damage if it wasn't going to be covered would have only been $500. By them opening the package, inspecting it, and then putting it back however they felt. Then shipping it back to me instead of returning it to the Kenne Bell, I believe they are negligent for the non-repairable damage it occured leaving their facility and being returned to me.

I mean seriously, look at this box...

2sm_zpsab50a567.jpg

That's most shipping companies for ya.... There employees and drivers don't give a shit about those packages....

We have $2,000-$3,000 electric motors that are ship to us daily, it's not uncommon to see the boxes destroyed and the casings crack on the motors.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Looking at the box type, it's pretty easy to tell you've exceeded the weight limit of the box design. Average shipping boxes have a weight limit of 65lbs assuming packing and taping are what they should be. There are other factors as well.

Your box should have a stamp rating on the underside leaf. It'll say that weight limit it has.

The boxes we get Whipples and KB's in are a triple wall dense board box that are capable of quite a bit of product weight.

Here is one of our FRPP boxes. It's a double wall, and still only has a limit of 80lbs:

0541CAB5-5950-4338-892E-8883EEB25648-8296-00000828AEE4CA72_zps71425289.jpg

10D16082-0548-489C-9C8F-0A006854A2EB-8296-00000828ABC8C76B_zpsba962a51.jpg

Last edited:

Boozshey

Reaction score
But what sense does it make that they had possession of the box to inspect it. A decision should have been made at their facility in Cali. If that decision was that the packaging was not correct then I should have been notified. To which I could have elected to have it returned to kenne bell.

It makes no sense to have ship an item back across the country that may have been identified as incorrect packaging.

UPS elected to do that on their own and should be liable.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
But what sense does it make that they had possession of the box to inspect it. A decision should have been made at their facility in Cali. If that decision was that the packaging was not correct then I should have been notified. To which I could have elected to have it returned to kenne bell.

It makes no sense to have ship an item back across the country that may have been identified as incorrect packaging.

UPS elected to do that on their own and should be liable.

At what point did they determine the packaging was insufficient? They're likely going to say the damage happened prior to when they inspected it.

Regardless, their defense is the fact that you shipped it in a box that wasn't designed for the weight of the contents, and was the cause of the damage. That's really all they need to show.

I don't want you to think I'm going against you here, but I've been through this with UPS, and this is how I know what I do about boxes. No matter how much we knew it was their screw up, they came back with several points we couldn't contest. Box rating was one of them.

Boozshey

Reaction score
No worries, I don't mind you playing devils advocate. All it can do it prepare me for questions they may ask...

That's the thing, they never determined the packaging was insufficient. However, today, she kept making a point on wanting to inspect the packaging. The packaging is gone. After the claim was "approved" the UPS representative said that I can discard the packaging and the item if I wanted to. So of course I kept the blower but trashed the packaging. Now all in the sudden they want to see the packaging again.

Again, they had an opportunity to inspect the packaging, which I can only assume they did at their facility. They made no indication on anything and on their own accord decided to send the box back to me in Florida. Mind you, this is now being sent back to me in a box that was previously damaged in shipping.

So again, if UPS had said from day one, the packaging was insufficient then I would have said, then bring it back to Kenne Bell and I would have ate my losses. However, again, they chose on their own accord to ship it across the country in a damaged box.

Don't get me wrong, I can live with them originally have saying the the packaging was insufficient. It was only $500. But again, I will say, UPS CHOSE, I didn't instruct them to, UPS CHOSE, to ship the box back across the country. It was that trip that caused the damage that is unrepairable.

Notice the shipping label even says they had it in their damaged package area...

5sm_zps910d8415.jpg

Last edited:

Cal26Stang

forum member
Reaction score
This is an interesting case, lots of possible outcomes regarding the legal ramifications. Hopefully it works out in your favor and you can get back to this badass build!

Nitemare

forum member
Reaction score
BOOZSHEY. I dont mean to sound negative. I sent my saleen blower to 281 Motorsports for them to repair it. I packed it really good and insured it for $4000. At the UPS store, the never open the box. You would think a $4000 insurance would prompt them to open the box. Anyways, when Jason at 281 motorsports recieved the box he said it looked like the just kicked it off the truck. The supercharger looked like it was dropped on the side and broke of the cover. I called UPS and after a couple of days of pushing me around, they finally sent an inspector to look at the box in Cali. You know what they said, the box was under rated and not enough packaging material. I kept call UPS since I had the $4000 insurance on the package. They said its not really insurance. Dont know what that ment. Everytime I would call I would be on hold for an hour or more until after days of calling I finally got a woman who understood my story. Guess what she told me.
If UPS is going to pay for anything I would need to get a lawyer and sue UPS and go to court. I am not making this shit up.

Jason09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I work for one of the largest ltl freight companies in the world...I do night time linehaul, and you would be amazed what some of the stuff coming out of the trailers looks like. Basically, the cycle of things happens like this...local city guy picks your package up, brings it to the local hub, local hub unloads and distributes it to the designated freight lanes...so that's two people who have handled it before it's even left your city. The linehaul drivers (me) come in, hook our set of pups and drive our happy little selves to the FAC (freight assembly center), usually in large metroplexes, not necessarily in the same state as where it was picked up at. It's unloaded there...either by another driver, a dock worker, a temp worker...who knows?, more than likely via forklift, so danger escalates there..it eventually makes it's way to its outbound trailer for it's ride to the next stop...be it another FAC, or straight to your local terminal. Who knows how many sets of hands touch it alonf the way.

Basically, my point is this...packaging goes out the window when it's been stacked on, knocked over, bumped into by forklifts etc. 20 times along its trip...these companies need to stop trying to place blame on something the cUstomer did wrong, and take responsibility for THEIR doings. Albeit, there are several times when the shipper is totally at fault...6k lb piece of machinery on a wooden pallet rated at 1/3 that weight etc. Sorry to hear about your issues, and I hope you get them resolved quickly, and painlessly as possible.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Basically, my point is this...packaging goes out the window when it's been stacked on, knocked over, bumped into by forklifts etc. 20 times along its trip...these companies need to stop trying to place blame on something the cUstomer did wrong, and take responsibility for THEIR doings. Albeit, there are several times when the shipper is totally at fault...6k lb piece of machinery on a wooden pallet rated at 1/3 that weight etc. Sorry to hear about your issues, and I hope you get them resolved quickly, and painlessly as possible.

For the reasons you listed specifically, that's why it's all the more important to have the proper packaging. With the right box strength, it will endure all the abuse you speak of. You can't just wrap something in a paper towel and ship it, them blame the freight company for damaging it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back