Any before/after headers track times?

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Just like the title states, what was your gains with headers on your Coyote powered stang? I know I'm going after lower rear gears 3.73, or 3.90's on my 2012 MT82 stang along with M&H drag radials on the stock 18x8 rims before I hit the track next year, but I'm sure some more power from the engine bug will hit shortly after so I'm just curious what kind of improvement I should expect from a set of good headers when the time/money comes.

A lot of people are running very quick without them with these cars, and I'm wondering if it's because of the sorta high price for a set on these cars, or if they simply just don't do a whole lot. I've had them on several of my vehicles over the years, and have always had decent gains with them on every vehicle so far.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Though gains can be seen from headers, the stock tri-Y is not that bad. They are not like headers from other cars where there are kinks, bends, and generally inefficient design for the sake of costing near nothing and easy racking on the assembly line.

I have worked on a lot of cars and have seen some headers that make me question why they even bothered giving the car a 2 1/2 in exhaust.

obsrt86

forum member
Reaction score
I got two buddies with coyotes, both have almost the same mods except one has long tubes and the other doesnt. My buddy with the long tubes runs 11.8-11.9 and the one without runs 12.2s-12.3s. Long tubes are definitely a great modification on these cars.

Even in my 3v I gained 4 tenths going to long tubes.

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
Longtubes really don't pick a whole lot on these cars as the factory headers are well designed. Shaun@AED says he has seen the best gains from Kooks mid-length headers.

Mo@NoLimit

Throttle Tickler
Reaction score
I can show two dynographs next to eachother of my OEM mani vs Long tube mani runs. Long tubes pick up 20-30lbs throughout the powerband. Huge throttle response gain and more mid range power.

Sledder

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Went back and checked my notes and with a Lund tune, C&L CAI, M&H drag radial on stock wheels and 3.73 gears my best was a 12.57.

I then added a set of BBK long tubes, catted X pipe, along with the fore mentioned C&L CAI, M&H drag radial on stock wheels and 3.73 gears and my best was a 12.20. This was with an Alternative Auto Performance (Lidio Iacobelli) custom dyno tune.

My car is an automatic and the 3.73 gear experiment did not last very long as they made no difference in e.t. compared to the stock 3.15. I am now running 3.31s and it is working good.

You are on the right track by researching this before you do it. Lot of good info here on S197. Good Luck.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I got two buddies with coyotes, both have almost the same mods except one has long tubes and the other doesnt. My buddy with the long tubes runs 11.8-11.9 and the one without runs 12.2s-12.3s. Long tubes are definitely a great modification on these cars.
Do both cars have the same trans, rear gears, and good tires? If so, headers would be money well spent for a solid 3 tenths imo!!

rcm90

forum member
Reaction score
I can show two dynographs next to eachother of my OEM mani vs Long tube mani runs. Long tubes pick up 20-30lbs throughout the powerband. Huge throttle response gain and more mid range power.

Was the same person tuning the car before and after the headers?

obsrt86

forum member
Reaction score
Do both cars have the same trans, rear gears, and good tires? If so, headers would be money well spent for a solid 3 tenths imo!!

Both cars have 6-speed manuals, 3.31 gears, and 15" Mickeys et streets DRs.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Any of you guys have opinions on just "cat-delete" pipes. I see a lot of people just buy these to replace the cats in the factory exhaust, or simply buy an aftermarket cat-less H, or X? Lotsa money to be saved compared to long-tube headers.

obsrt86

forum member
Reaction score
Any of you guys have opinions on just "cat-delete" pipes. I see a lot of people just buy these to replace the cats in the factory exhaust, or simply buy an aftermarket cat-less H, or X? Lotsa money to be saved compared to long-tube headers.

I'd buy the whole x/hpipe set up. My buddy went with Pypes cat deletes and they leak like crazy. We couldnt make it seal up to the stock h pipe. Even after numerous attempts of adjusting. So he ended up buyin a full xpipe.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I'd buy the whole x/hpipe set up. My buddy went with Pypes cat deletes and they leak like crazy. We couldnt make it seal up to the stock h pipe. Even after numerous attempts of adjusting. So he ended up buyin a full xpipe.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Headers are a great mod.

No track times yet as I'm recovering from foot surgery until spring. I bought a driveshaft, LCA's and Mickeys to go with the power mods I've added

Pre-Headers, I made 422/367 With a ported CJ, SCJ mono blade TB, cat deletes with a leak, Borla s types, custom intake, AED tune.

Post-Headers, I added Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-Pipe and have the same previous mods and made 443/388. Gains are there and I have some knock due to only running 93 Octane. With E85 I imagine I'll make over 450 RWHP.

Shooting for low 12's high 11's after a few practice passes.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Headers are a great mod.

No track times yet as I'm recovering from foot surgery until spring. I bought a driveshaft, LCA's and Mickeys to go with the power mods I've added

Pre-Headers, I made 422/367 With a ported CJ, SCJ mono blade TB, cat deletes with a leak, Borla s types, custom intake, AED tune.

Post-Headers, I added Kooks 1-3/4" LT's, Kooks O/R H-Pipe and have the same previous mods and made 443/388. Gains are there and I have some knock due to only running 93 Octane. With E85 I imagine I'll make over 450 RWHP.

Shooting for low 12's high 11's after a few practice passes.
Nice, a solid 20 rwhp, and the added tq to match is a solid gain for sure. You developed some detonation from just those parts, or those parts plus a revised tune?

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Nice, a solid 20 rwhp, and the added tq to match is a solid gain for sure. You developed some detonation from just those parts, or those parts plus a revised tune?

Thanks man! Great gains for sure that I was certainly happy with. The sound is an added bonus.

Shaun @ AED sent a revised tune for the headers which was loaded after install. Problem we troubleshooted came down to fuel. I added 3-4 gallons of 100 octane. My first numbers for headers were 434 RWHP / 363 RWTQ IIRC and with the 100 it eliminated knock I had around 2800, 4400 and 61xx RPM.

Could have been bad fuel or just not enough octane. I may switch to E85 but it is a bit more challenging to always test and find stations that are selling at least 80-82% to avoid problems with the motor.

I may just use a fuel additive down the road or out a few gallons of 100/110 so I maximize performance.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Is your car auto, or manual? I'm guessing track packs are all 3.73 geared with the manual. Either way, low 12's high 11's in a street car without a power adder is doing well imo!

Grabber

Coyote Snob Member
Reaction score
Is your car auto, or manual? I'm guessing track packs are all 3.73 geared with the manual. Either way, low 12's high 11's in a street car without a power adder is doing well imo!

I have a track pack and 6 speed manual.

The guy that has offered his knowledge and suggestions since the day I bought the car and also the guy that has pretty much built what my car is had a 2012 5.0 than went 11.0's @121-123 N/A.

I doubt I could match that but I intend on breaking 11's N/A while having a fully optioned out and full weight car with a 200Lb driver.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
That's screamin imo, also probably a little easier to obtain with an A6, but I too have the mt-82, and love the way it shifts so.....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back